Digital driver’s license - your ID in your smartphone

NomadacNomadac Senior MemberPosts: 858 Senior Member
Digital driver’s license - your ID in your smartphone
https://www.gemalto.com/govt/traffic/digital-driver-license

I guess this will not work on my Flip Phone. I'll stick with my issued D.L.

Comments

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,975 Senior Member
    Why not just tattoo a number on someone's arm? Hmmmmm- - - - - - -I think that's already been tried!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,651 Senior Member
    So now I gotta pay $80/mo to lug around my D.L.?

Riiiiiiiiight!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Teach wrote: »
    Why not just tattoo a number on someone's arm? Hmmmmm- - - - - - -I think that's already been tried!
    Jerry

It worked pretty well - from the perspective of those who promulgated the idea. Its victims, not so much...

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,760 Senior Member
    Yeah right

LEO:
    Sir let me see your DL

Driver:
    Yes sir it is right here on my phone

Great deal hey you just turned over your recent life's history for a traffic stop.

I am surprised all you privacy gurus haven't been all over this idea.
    I have a need for speed
    Not to mention that like virtually everything else to do with smartfones, this is going to be a PITA to everybody else. Case in point: smartfone based boarding passes at the airport. Even when the passenger has hir smartfone all ready to go, it STILL takes longer than handing over that piece of paper - and the ones who *are* actually ready are in the minority. We still have to wait on the idiots who are not.

NN wrote: »
    Great deal hey you just turned over your recent life's history for a traffic stop.

The smartfone crowd is just too insidious, and they never even think of this - or if they do, their addiction is so strong that they no longer care!

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    When self driving cars get weaponized for LE use, they can use gps to track down and vaporize repeatative offenders. :driving:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,826 Senior Member
    This technology crapola is getting out of hand. It's like it's become a game to those who design stuff. They think they're filming James Bond or Star Wars. They're making stuff higher tech than need be for speed and comfort. If something is high tech to help speed things up or make it easier, good on it, but technology for the sake of technology is getting dumb. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    This technology crapola is getting out of hand. It's like it's become a game to those who design stuff. They think they're filming James Bond or Star Wars. They're making stuff higher tech than need be for speed and comfort. If something is high tech to help speed things up or make it easier, good on it, but technology for the sake of technology is getting dumb. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You're just now figuring this out? Its been out of hand for at least 20 years! Technology for its own sake - I out grew that 40 years ago! But it isn't going to stop anytime soon, "they" have figured out that people will not only pay outrageous prices to obtain this stuff, but they'll do it over and over and over again, and pay monthly fees in the interim because all this crap is "necessary"! But I'm not saying anything new here...

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,737 Senior Member
    I saved a link somewhere. It's called Google my activity. Some scary stuff going on there. Google is recording my conversations. If you scroll down the list and hit play on any random one, it will play a snipit of that conversation. I'm sure the whole conversation is stored on some big hard drives somewhere. I will see if I can find the link.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,760 Senior Member
    I saved a link somewhere. It's called Google my activity. Some scary stuff going on there. Google is recording my conversations. If you scroll down the list and hit play on any random one, it will play a snipit of that conversation. I'm sure the whole conversation is stored on some big hard drives somewhere. I will see if I can find the link.

do you need a google account?
    I have a need for speed
    I've got one. Not sure if you have to have one or not.
    https://myactivity.google.com

On the left click on Activity Controls

Scroll down until you see Voice and Audio Activity

Under it click manage activity.

There you will see random dates with a play button. I went way down the line a couple weeks ago. One of them played 2 sentences I had of a conversation I had with someone at work.

ETA: I just tried to turn it off and google said they would still monitor it randomly.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,894 Senior Member

Just contact the NSA. They can give you a full transcript of your calls from WAY back.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

I had no idea about that page - but it doesn't surprise me. But amazingly enough, other than some youtube videos - mostly Hickok45 - that I watched in 2016, there are no records of my "activity" whatsoever. Because I studiously avoid devices, sites, and programs that track such things as much as I possibly can. I had, one way or another, everything on that page except youtube searches/videos already turned off.

Oh, and I don't have a smartfone - amazing, isn't it?

zorba wrote: »

Oh, and I don't have a smartfone - amazing, isn't it?

That is the thing doing most of it. At least the recording part anyway.
    That is the thing doing most of it. At least the recording part anyway.

:agree::that: The Christians have a saying: "Preaching to the choir."!!!

• NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    tucker Carlson the other night had a person with two Smart Phones both turned off one on Airplane Mode9whatever that is) take a walk, then ride to several locations, one a Church, don't remember the other ones and return to the same starting point. Then they did a search and traced every place he had traveled and even heard some of the conversation he had, scary.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,092 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Yeah right

LEO:
    Sir let me see your DL

Driver:
    Yes sir it is right here on my phone

I talked about this when the insurance companies started promoting the phone app proof of insurance. Just hand your phone to the nice policeman.

The courts have already decided handing your phone over to police is consent to search.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,292 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry
    Number? It would probably be a bar code.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    When self driving cars get weaponized for LE use, they can use gps to track down and vaporize repeatative offenders. :driving:

That would be GM's new DeathStar system. :jester:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    Put a "chip" in everyone, for their own safety of course, then they can be scanned every place they go. Big Brother will protect you comrade.
    Its for the chiiiiiildruuuuun, don't cha know?

• ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 308 Member
    "Would you like that your chip implanted on the back of your hand, or perhaps your forehead? Free of charge!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,378 Senior Member
    https://myactivity.google.com

On the left click on Activity Controls

Scroll down until you see Voice and Audio Activity

Under it click manage activity.

There you will see random dates with a play button. I went way down the line a couple weeks ago. One of them played 2 sentences I had of a conversation I had with someone at work.

ETA: I just tried to turn it off and google said they would still monitor it randomly.
    I hadn’t checked mine in a while. Lord I’m boring... anyway you can turn the options off but your google searches and site recommendations will be a lot less usefull.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    Number? It would probably be a bar code.
    john9001 wrote: »
    Put a "chip" in everyone, for their own safety of course, then they can be scanned every place they go. Big Brother will protect you comrade.
    Armoredman wrote: »
    "Would you like that your chip implanted on the back of your hand, or perhaps your forehead? Free of charge!
    You silly people. We have so many biometric tools available that we can tell who you are by smell... :rotflmao:

Seriuosly this is a silly idea, you were BORN with bar codes, they are called finger prints, retinal scans, DNA, etc. When chips get implanted into humans it will be to enhance their capabilities and senses and it will be consensual.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    8cd7989d-4f97-43a1-ab5e-9a3cb1c27864_1.ccfd3c8453e3aa962934b551dbb4d3e6.jpeg

Where’ my damn flip phone?????
    BTW Gemalto is a great company full of very smart people. I’ve been working with them for years on advanced tech deployment. They were largely responsible for the rollout of OnStar in Europe happening a whole year ahead of schedule. :cool2:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

Where’ my damn flip phone?????

:tooth:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

Where’ my damn bag phone?????

FIFY.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file