Digital driver’s license - your ID in your smartphone

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,713 Senior Member
    I get that some folks have jobs that require near-immediate access. I'm just saying that the convenience of a cell phone has become an artificial yoke for many, in my opinion.

If you're a doctor, business owner, counselor, minister a cell phone is a necessity 24/7.
    If you're working at Taco Bell and aren't looking for a new job or are in high school, you can put it away, generally.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    I agree...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    cpj wrote: »
    Not sure why this is hard.
    You don't like smart phones? Don't ing own one.
    You don't like flip phones? Dont ing own one.
    Don't want a home phone? Don't ing have one.
    Don't like text messages? Don't ing text message people.
    Don't like email? Don't ing send them.
    Or, you can spend your free time bitching like a damn woman about all of the above.
    Your pixels only come in black and white don’t they buddy? :rotflmao: But I agree with you too. Water finds its own level...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    In any case I want my damn phone drivers license :devil:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,993 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    In any case I want my damn phone drivers license :devil:

Yours has been revoked! :roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,093 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Yours has been revoked! :roll2:
    Not in Greece, he hasn't found Athens yet
    :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    Or, you can spend your free time bitching like a damn woman about all of the above.
    My problem ain't with the device.
    It's with the folks who get irritated if I don’t answer RIGHT NOW!!!!!

There's a small group of people who get that consideration. Very small. Otherwise, my question is, "would it kill you if I don’t answer?"

Nobody's died. Yet.

Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member

Not quite where I was going....I'm perfectly happy with my personal cell phone situation.. my major bitch is the way they have altered our society.... can't go to a family gathering anymore without half the attendees spending the time with their face buried in a freaking smart phone....or dumbasses messing with their phones while driving 70 mph..so yeah...it pisses me off....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,377 Senior Member
    My problem ain't with the device.
    It's with the folks who get irritated if I don’t answer RIGHT NOW!!!!!

There's a small group of people who get that consideration. Very small. Otherwise, my question is, "would it kill you if I don’t answer?"

Nobody's died. Yet.

then tell them to go their hat.
    Not so hard, eh?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Not quite where I was going....I'm perfectly happy with my personal cell phone situation.. my major bitch is the way they have altered our society.... can't go to a family gathering anymore without half the attendees spending the time with their face buried in a freaking smart phone....or dumbasses messing with their phones while driving 70 mph..so yeah...it pisses me off....
    That all goes to a lack of teaching folks how to be polite and think of others. Problems ain't the machine... it's the operator.

Overkill is underrated.
    then tell them to go their hat.
    Not so hard, eh?
    I told one person, "I'm sorry if I gave you the impression you are more important than you are. "

Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,911 Senior Member
    Would you have lost that money in the pre-cell days? Honest question.
    The issue I have with cell phones is that we've lost our ability to wait for a reply, like civilized humans used to do.

And the irony of using a cell phone to make this reply is not lost on me.

Pre-cell days would mean that I would need a secretary to answer the phone, handle the mail, type, do book keeping, etc. while I would be either in the field supervising crews, working with suppliers, or with clients.

I don't need someone like that anymore because my "office" is wherever I am now. Things get done faster and at a lower cost to the client and make it more profitable for me. The guys can text me a photo from the field if something starts to go south and I can troubleshoot it instantly.

Put it this way. I got into the business during the days of pagers. There were some times when I spent almost half the day at a freaking pay phone answering urgent pages. On some bigger jobs, we had land lines installed. When the union steward wsn't tying up the line and I was close enough to hear the phone, I would sometimes be able to take a call from the project superintendent to get the project back on track.
    That all goes to a lack of teaching folks how to be polite and think of others. Problems ain't the machine... it's the operator.

:win:

Tell that to the family of someone who got killed by some dumbass who was texting and driving.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,929 Senior Member
    This cell phone exchange is too funny
    I think I have gotten about 10 calls total on my phone.

But, I did carry it to the forest today.
    I have a need for speed
    Tell that to the family of someone who got killed by some dumbass who was texting and driving.....
    I saw a sheriff's car doing that. Again... the operator was at fault. The machine just does what it's designed to do.

Kinda like a firearm...

Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,280 Senior Member
    Depends on where you're working as to whether a cell phone would/would not be useful. The last 25 years of my life before I retired was in nuclear plants. Cell phones were as forbidden as hand grenades with the pins removed. A cell phone could trip the turbine/generator if used in the turbine building on the turbine floor. And in the control room, they could (AND DID) trip the reactor from signal pickup on sensitive reactor protection circuitry if you were stupid enough to try to make a call; we tried them everywhere, and they were kryptonite to the equipment. And forget about one in the Auxiliary Building; the equipment there was really sensitive to cell phone RF. They wouldn't work in the Control Building or Aux Bldg because of too much concrete and steel. You could have one inside the double fence, but you had to be at the Entrance/Exit security building to use it.

Noise levels precluded using them anywhere in the buildings when the plant was in operation, anyway, along with all that concrete and steel blocking the signal like being in a deep cave under a cauldron blocks sunlight. The turbine/generator whine was around 120 to 140 dB depending on where you were standing and at what distance you were from them; not exactly optimum conditions for cell phone use because, IF you were smart, you had ear plugs AND ear muffs on to protect your hearing or what was left of it. We used two way radios that were no problem to the equipment, and they were pretty useless most of the time due to the noise. Cheap anus management wouldn't spring for earpieces for the radios. I ignored the radio a lot; I could feel the speaker vibrating but couldn't hear anything, and wasn't about to remove my hearing protection in a high noise area. They finally gave up on us at the last one, and went back to radio + a pager to get hold of us. The pager was clipped on a shirt pocket so we could feel it vibrate.

Just one example of where a cell phone is pretty useless and not conducive to a smooth working business! :tooth: I'm sure that there are other places where unshielded electronics would not appreciate a cell phone signal.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,026 Senior Member
    I am very fortunate to live in a place where cell phone signals don't go. I have this wonderful device known as a "land line"- - - -its major advantage, at least in my opinion, is that IT ABSOLUTELT CANNOT RECEIVE A TEXT MESSAGE! If someone wants to communicate with me, they're going to have to have a real conversation- - - -you speak, I listen, and then I respond. When I'm on the road for work, my flip phone works the same way. I can receive a text message from you (if I choose to read it) but I absolutely refuse to attempt to negotiate that tiny keyboard with three letters for each number and try to send a text. If it's that important for you to get my attention right now- - - - -DIAL THE FREAKIN' PHONE- - - -I'LL ANSWER, IF IT'S SAFE TO DO SO. I've already rolled one car by trying to answer a "Please buy me a candy bar" call. Otherwise, leave me a voice mail!

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    NN wrote: »

Somebody get a rope.....
    I saw a sheriff's car doing that. Again... the operator was at fault. The machine just does what it's designed to do.

Kinda like a firearm...

Well.....ok....but I don't think I ever responded to an accident caused by someone dicking around with a gun...a cellphone on the other hand.......
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,377 Senior Member
    Well.....ok....but I don't think I ever responded to an accident caused by someone dicking around with a gun...a cellphone on the other hand.......

No different than someone dicking around with a map, a donut, coffee, makeup, the radio, etc.
    at the end of the day, the only person responsible is the driver. Not the object.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,993 Senior Member

Yep. This - in spades.

And no, it isn't the device's fault, its the brain washed idiots who feel they have to have the stupid thing grafted to their face 24/7. I've gotten real good at identifying drivers using one - and they'll get the horn and the finger if I can verify it. I have ZERO tolerance for this crap.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,280 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

Somebody get a rope.....

My nephew and his friends that come up here from FL to deer hunt are on their freakin' smart phones from the time they leave the house to the time they get back, TEXTING each other about whether or not they've seen anything. I got a text from one of them this past season telling me that they had two does on the ground and would I bring the 4-wheeler up the ridge to cart them out. I didn't text back, just got on the 4-wheeler and showed up. The guy asked why I didn't text him back. I told him that if I'd texted him back on MY phone he'd still be waiting for me to bring the 4-wheeler up the ridge. He had a strange look on his face. They're all late 30's to early 40's and don't understand my aversion to texting. I don't even try to explain; I'm not the jackass whisperer.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,026 Senior Member
    "If that phone rings while we're in the duck blind, we're gonna shoot it- - - - -it would be real a shame if it was up against your ear at the time!"
    :devil:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,093 Senior Member
    I carry my phone while hunting, it's silenced and allows the wife and I to communicate silently.

ALSO, I have games on it to keep myself entertained.

Before smartphones, I would stick a book in my pocket and read.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Car accident, I can buy that. Not my point. My point is blaming the tool - and saying "if they didn't have that, this wouldn't happen is blaming the tool" is the same logic anti-gunners use.
    No different than someone dicking around with a map, a donut, coffee, makeup, the radio, etc.
    at the end of the day, the only person responsible is the driver. Not the object.

CPJ gets it. Now I need to go take a shower after typing that...
    Overkill is underrated.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Pre-cell days would mean that I would need a secretary to answer the phone, handle the mail, type, do book keeping, etc. while I would be either in the field supervising crews, working with suppliers, or with clients.

I don't need someone like that anymore because my "office" is wherever I am now. Things get done faster and at a lower cost to the client and make it more profitable for me. The guys can text me a photo from the field if something starts to go south and I can troubleshoot it instantly.

Put it this way. I got into the business during the days of pagers. There were some times when I spent almost half the day at a freaking pay phone answering urgent pages. On some bigger jobs, we had land lines installed. When the union steward wsn't tying up the line and I was close enough to hear the phone, I would sometimes be able to take a call from the project superintendent to get the project back on track.
    So cell phones have cut down on an employment opportunity for someone and are leading to lost revenues for the telecoms? They are bad for the economy.

I get that cell phones are great tools. I used mine yesterday at work to check the wind forecast and see where I could work, pull up radar to see which way the rain was coming, estimate traffic conditions, I've used it to document interesting occurrences, and I've even used it to call folks so we can coordinate. I still maintain that for a lot of people, the cell phone's necessity is more invented than it is actual.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Car accident, I can buy that. Not my point. My point is blaming the tool - and saying "if they didn't have that, this wouldn't happen is blaming the tool" is the same logic anti-gunners use.

CPJ gets it. Now I need to go take a shower after typing that...

I understand what you're saying completely, .....
    So cell phones have cut down on an employment opportunity for someone and are leading to lost revenues for the telecoms? They are bad for the economy.

I get that cell phones are great tools. I used mine yesterday at work to check the wind forecast and see where I could work, pull up radar to see which way the rain was coming, estimate traffic conditions, I've used it to document interesting occurrences, and I've even used it to call folks so we can coordinate. I still maintain that for a lot of people, the cell phone's necessity is more invented than it is actual.
    Hey, Zorba just told me you are a self-absorbed techno slave and he just blasted his car horn at you and flipped you the bird :tooth:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,286 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I'll agree that its hard to define - anything that touches on morality/ethics is just that: Hard to define. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist - despite what Telcos et al are trying to get everyone to believe (and have largely succeeded).
    Ok. You are wrong.

Having been at a TELCO for 30 years and taken the training yearly, I can tell you this, if a agency wants ANYTHING having to do with a customer, they better have a warrant. I have helped put in taps, and worked with LEOS from local to DEA, and they dont get anything w/o a warrant.

You are confusing TELCO with services people voluntarily sign up for and information they freely publish about themselves. Fine print matters.

Wamblis example of privacy is exactly correct. You have no expectation of privacy if you are bumping fuzzies in the picture window facing main street.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Hey, Zorba just told me you are a self-absorbed techno slave and he just blasted his car horn at you and flipped you the bird :tooth:
    Don't forget financially ignorant...

I'm using a personal phone for business purposes.
    Overkill is underrated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file