My boy’s longest shot.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,072 Senior Member
Up until yesterday, the furthest my boy had ever shot was 300 yards. Well, Ernie was in town, so we decided it was time for the boy to stretch that some.

Grabbed my 20” Heavy Barrel .223 Remington and went to my friends ranch.

I had no clue what the dope was for the rifle since I’d not shot it at distance since Weatherby came down for a hunt forever and a day ago. We only went to 600 that day.

So, it took some guessing and figuring on ballistic apps by Ernie and my friend and then some truing shots to determine the dope.

Once we had the dope and cleaned up the targets, my boy saddled up and hammered the center with me calling wind.

With.........a 20” barreled .223 Remington!!!

RFk5Z07.jpg

700 yards!

IWMsovr.jpg

750 yards!

wxhkDYh.jpg

That is just shy of a 1/2 Mile (.426)!! Quite proud of the little man. Glad Ernie could be a part as well.

Afterwards, Ernie wanted to shoot my AI. So he got on the wrong side of the rifle and was able to hit the bullseye at 750 yards after fouling the barrel (I had just cleaned it and needed it to be fouled) and figuring out the wind.

jY677Ks.jpg

I had to convince Pandora that I still loved her. After letting a left handed stranger touch and shoot her. She forgave me. But, wasn’t happy.

A good old day on the range.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,479 Senior Member
    Wow, your kid makes me look I am shooting a Daisy Red Ryder at 200 yds, much less at that distance with a .223, can the toe shot be far off:applause:? Glad to see you have Ernie shooting a rifle, get him out of his pistol rut:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    Apparently, we have a whole new meaning for the acronym "C.Y.A."

Corrupting the Youth of America :cool2:

Your A.I. has a brake, and weighs a short ton - is it time to let the kid shoot the .308? Or would that be considered getting a minor hooked on the hard drugs?

(I really like that square cocking piece on the A.I. Don't ask me why)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Wow, your kid makes me look I am shooting a Daisy Red Ryder at 200 yds, much less at that distance with a .223, can the toe shot be far off:applause:? Glad to see you have Ernie shooting a rifle, get him out of his pistol rut:jester:

Almost exactly what I was thinking. Quite the young man you have there, and he looks just like you, almost as tall too.
    If you dont mind give him a high five for me, I am amazed at his skills
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's pretty darn good!:win:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 577 Senior Member
    Your boy looks just like you! :rotflmao: I am pretty sure I would not be able to see that target at 700 yards, much less hit it. Good job!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    Very cool! Great shooting!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,587 Senior Member
    That's really awesome!! I can't see 750 yards let alone shoot that far!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Wow! That is impressive! You taught him well ��
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    That's really awesome Zee!
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,366 Senior Member
    IIRC you were a pretty good spotter.
    Great to give him confidence.
    As an aside is your daughter still shooting ?
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,099 Senior Member
    You want to know what I think the main reason he was able to hit the target with ease?
    He wasn't told he couldn't. He didn't think he couldn't. He didn't listen to the absolute bull **** that runs rampant on the net about "you must have X, or you can't shoot any farther than Y distance". Hive five the little dude for me.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    Nice , Dad!
    I have a need for speed
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 213 Member
    Great parenting Dude!!! Awesome!!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,147 Senior Member
    Fantastic, With you coaching him I have no doubts he be dead on at 1000, so when is it gonna happen ??

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Glad to see you have Ernie shooting a rifle, get him out of his pistol rut:jester:

I’m trying.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Your A.I. has a brake, and weighs a short ton - is it time to let the kid shoot the .308? Or would that be considered getting a minor hooked on the hard drugs?

No real reason to. Hell, 750 yards with a .223 Remington. He could push 1,000 with the .243 Win and after that, launch high BC bullets out of my Benchrest .260 Rem as far as he could about see.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Almost exactly what I was thinking. Quite the young man you have there, and he looks just like you, almost as tall too.
    If you dont mind give him a high five for me, I am amazed at his skills

He got my good looks and shooting ability. That’s for sure.
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    Your boy looks just like you! :rotflmao: I am pretty sure I would not be able to see that target at 700 yards, much less hit it. Good job!

Thanks.

I’ve no doubt you could hit a target that far.
    Weatherby wrote: »
    As an aside is your daughter still shooting ?

It has been awhile. Into the more girl things lately.
    cpj wrote: »
    You want to know what I think the main reason he was able to hit the target with ease?
    He wasn't told he couldn't. He didn't think he couldn't. He didn't listen to the absolute bull **** that runs rampant on the net about "you must have X, or you can't shoot any farther than Y distance". Hive five the little dude for me.

BINGO!!!!

He had no preconceived ideas. He just did what he was told in regards to dope and fundamentals.

Ernie said exactly the same thing. He was not told he couldn’t. So, he assumed he could. And........he did.

If you can see it, you can hit it. If you can’t, aim higher. Or, get a bigger gun.
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Fantastic, With you coaching him I have no doubts he be dead on at 1000, so when is it gonna happen ??

JAY

Not too distant future.
    And thank you to one and all for the kind words.

Proud of the man. Still have some fundamentals to work on with him. But, I’m not gonna push him like a comp shooter. My goal is to keep it short and fun with a little lesson at a time. If I go rigid as an instructor, it will become like work to him. He ain’t that old. It’s fun. He’s successful. I’m not gonna smack knuckles at this point.

Piece at a time.
    Some may wonder why I didn’t have him go for “groups” at the distances after we got dope and wind.

Well, once I knew the dope and wind, he did EVERYTHING I ASKED HIM TO DO. AND........hit the target. That........was the goal.

He was successful. Happy. Excited.

Time to move on.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Up until yesterday, the furthest my boy had ever shot was 300 yards. Well, Ernie was in town, so we decided it was time for the boy to stretch that some.

Grabbed my 20” Heavy Barrel .223 Remington and went to my friends ranch.

I had no clue what the dope was for the rifle since I’d not shot it at distance since Weatherby came down for a hunt forever and a day ago. We only went to 600 that day.

So, it took some guessing and figuring on ballistic apps by Ernie and my friend and then some truing shots to determine the dope.

Once we had the dope and cleaned up the targets, my boy saddled up and hammered the center with me calling wind.

With.........a 20” barreled .223 Remington!!!

My hat's off to your boy. And again, the Family Resemblance is Amazing!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,366 Senior Member
    It has been awhile. Into the more girl things lately.

Thanks for answering she's missing out on some pretty cool dad time. Great kids your raising.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,161 Senior Member
    And thank you to one and all for the kind words.

Proud of the man. Still have some fundamentals to work on with him. But, I’m not gonna push him like a comp shooter. My goal is to keep it short and fun with a little lesson at a time. If I go rigid as an instructor, it will become like work to him. He ain’t that old. It’s fun. He’s successful. I’m not gonna smack knuckles at this point.

Piece at a time.

Wisdom. And later when he’s making those longer shots, they will be just as easy and enjoyable.

Well done, Dad.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,961 Senior Member
    I used to think your photography was pretty good, but you don't do faces worth a crap!
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    I used to think your photography was pretty good, but you don't do faces worth a crap!

Portraiture was never my “thing”.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    BINGO!!!!

He had no preconceived ideas. He just did what he was told in regards to dope and fundamentals.

Ernie said exactly the same thing. He was not told he couldn’t. So, he assumed he could. And........he did.

If you can see it, you can hit it. If you can’t, aim higher. Or, get a bigger gun.

Exactly!!! That’s how I got my daughter to shoot big bore magnums and ultralight rifles and my wife to shoot a 25oz 1911 without any issues! Didn’t let anyone tell them they couldn’t do it.

Very proud of him! Wow he’s getting big!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file