IDIOTS at the LGS

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 16,834 Senior Member
My dad picked up a used, like new looking, mini-14 ranch rifle at a local pawnshop the other day. The rings didn't come with it. He went to his favorite LGS and bought a set of Leupold "ruger" rings for it.

Put a Burris 3-9x40 he had laying around on it.

Spoke to my mom today, she told me he couldn't make it work, so he took the rings back and THEY told him that you can't scope a Mini-14 Ranch rifle. REALLY???? I thought the Ranch rifle was made for easy scope mounting.

Dad's at a lodge function, so I am not positive why his scope won't work, but I am 99% sure I already know both the issue AND the solution.

See if you agree...

Ruger bolt actions take a different height front and rear ring (Medium = 5B rear and 4B front) and the Mini-14 takes the same height ring front and rear (Medium = 4B x2)

They (probably) sold him a set of 77 rings, and the differing height means he can't get the scope zeroed for elevation.
He's already returned those rings, that's when they told him you can't scope a Mini-14 Ranch rifle.

Gotta love how they cover their ignorance. :roll:
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I had a scope on mine, and Big Chief has on on his getting dinged by spent ejected cases.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,719 Senior Member
    Tell him to order them from Ruger or look for the right chart on one of the Internet haunts.

https://shopruger.com/searchscopering.asp
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,834 Senior Member
    Thanks BC, that's where I got the sizes I posted in the OP
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    We are loosing good gunstores to the 20 bucks they can save on the internet.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    We are loosing good gunstores to the 20 bucks they can save on the internet.
    This one has been in business longer than I've been alive.

I remember going there as a kid, in the same location.

Now, they have bought out adjoining closed businesses and expanded to 3x the size I remember, but they're still there and still owned by the same family

• SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,980 Senior Member
    I think you nailed it on the M77 rings- - - -the first time I installed a scope on mine I could have hit the Hubble telescope!- - - - -I had them on backwards!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Finally spoke to my dad, he said there WAS a measurable difference in height between the rings, and he was 12"+ high at even 25 yards.

Guy , who claimed to have been a Ruger rep for 30 years, then tried all the other Ruger 77 mounts they had in stock, then told my dad his receiver was apparently machined wrong at the factory :roll:

After explaining things to dad, I also found a surprising place to get the best price on a pair of 4B Ruger rings.

Newegg.com , which I normally only think of when I need computer hardware, has them for $30.82/ea or $61.64/pair

My parents don't trust online ordering, so I ordered a set for him and am having it shipped directly to him.

Just for giggles, I measured the OEM rings from my 1976 model M77R and there's over 0.1" difference between them

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    Sadly, the LGS Idiot employee is all to common.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    The guy that owns and runs my new favorite LGS doesn't claim to be an expert but he will look to the ends of the earth for you. He's a local that's been here for ever. He's also an ex military lifer. He knows firearms just not specifics on everything. Let me say, He understands firearms. He's nobody's fool. I'm glad he opened his business because Wally World folks ain't got a clue and neither do Academy. And he's here locally in town so I don't have to go to Victoria for anything out of the ordinary.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,786 Senior Member
    Most of my experiences with gun store clerks have been aggravating. Many are know-it-alls when doing business with inexperienced people and will tell them almost anything. They usually become sullen and defensive if you don't accept their pronouncements. So, mostly, I just don't ask them a lot of questions - I just find out their OTD price, and don't encourage them to tell the whoppers that they routinely use with the newbies. That way, they don't have to lie, and I don't have to get pissed off. Otherwise, I wouldn't have any local places to browse. I like to support local business, even when they can't compete for prices, sometimes. But, they have to make up, in service, for commanding higher prices, and they need to understand that, if they want me to understand their price situation.

The best situation I have had with LGS's is one where they would order whatever firearm I wanted, and sell it for a price that was approximately equal to what I would spend for one online, after paying FFL fee and taxes. As for accessories, I don't even bother. I just order them myself.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,487 Senior Member
    I would estimate that my LGS makes more money on accessories than on guns, mine gives me very fair prices on guns and I make sure I buy ammo, holsters, and such from them.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Most of my experiences with gun store clerks have been aggravating. Many are know-it-alls when doing business with inexperienced people and will tell them almost anything. They usually become sullen and defensive if you don't accept their pronouncements. So, mostly, I just don't ask them a lot of questions - I just find out their OTD price, and don't encourage them to tell the whoppers that they routinely use with the newbies. That way, they don't have to lie, and I don't have to get pissed off. Otherwise, I wouldn't have any local places to browse. I like to support local business, even when they can't compete for prices, sometimes. But, they have to make up, in service, for commanding higher prices, and they need to understand that, if they want me to understand their price situation.

The best situation I have had with LGS's is one where they would order whatever firearm I wanted, and sell it for a price that was approximately equal to what I would spend for one online, after paying FFL fee and taxes. As for accessories, I don't even bother. I just order them myself.
    :that:

I was at my LGS one time when this young kid was selling a .22 Mag rifle to this older gentleman and the kid behind the counter kept droning on and on about Hydrostatic Shock like he just learned about yesterday. It was sad really, everything he didn't know about ballistics could then be attributed to hydrostatic shock, somehow. I'm sure the polar icecaps melting has something to do with hydrostatic shock. I'm pretty sure of it.

He wasn't talking to me so I said nothing but I did look at the owner who was looking at me and I could tell by the look on his face he knew that I knew and he rolled his eyes and I very subtly shook my head.

The kid doesn't work there anymore and I hope he went off somewhere to learned something about something else because BS like that can ruin a day faster than most other things. It's akin to someone lying to your face and smiling afterward, expecting you to smile back!
    :angry:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I always play dumb and ask questions if I feel like it. I only smile and nod at any asnswers, making no comments. It's funnier if I have my son with and give him an occasional wink well he quietly smiles.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file