Ernie came to hunt.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,072 Senior Member
It had been two years since Ernie last came down for a visit and pig killing. Last time, I think we took 12 pigs in 2 or 3 days. But, that was in the spring.

This year, I was more interested in getting him a deer. Which meant, a bad time for pigs. No crops in the ground........no marauding bands of pigs. Meaning poor porcine pickings.

But!!!! Deer management season is still in full swing!!

Picked him up at the airport at 2100 hours and we headed straight to the crop fields. Worked our butts off covering almost 100 miles and 6 fields. Not a damn pig to be found. Until...........about 0315 in the morning.

We we found one!!

Last year, I had him using bolt action rifles. This year, it was gas guns!!! Gotta get him out of his safety net.

We spotted the pig at about 500 yards. Ended up getting to within about 100 and had to wait for what seemed an eternity for him to clear come farming machinery.

I had told Ernie to shoot him in the head or the shoulder (more on THAT later) to drop him and not allow him to run off the field and into the neighbor’s property. Well, that sucker wouldn’t stand still or broadside for very long. When he cleared the equipment, he was moving. And coming closer. Which, proves difficult for NV as the focus changes.

He kept getting closer as we laid there and I told Ernie to take him.

The gun went off..............and the pig dropped. A perfect shot below the ear.

NRFenR3.jpg

I told him my cut off for an “eater” was about 150 pounds. Well, this sucker weighed 145. He likes to push limits.

Into the cooler he went.

I’m sure Ernie will expound some. But, this ended day 1.

More to follow.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Looks like a big black monster.
    Good shot.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    I let Ernie sleep in a little the next day. Then, we ran some errands and headed to the ranch. It was Range time, getting his handguns dialed in for deer hunting.

rbCFtwp.jpg

Ndt0QHD.jpg

Plan was, to use his custom Smith & Wesson in .44 Mag to take a deer. Well.......let me just say........by no fault of Ernie........this is the SECOND revolver he has brought down that didn’t work. Color me unimpressed.

So, we switched gears to plan “B”. Getting his XP-100 in 6mm Creedmoor sighted in and ready to hunt.

juGNNVf.jpg

RoyfAmN.jpg

......this one was jacked due to Remington. Good Lord........we needed a break!!!

Well, the gun wouldn’t zero due to off center holes. So, we improvised using the reticle and both shot exceptional groups using Kentucky Windage.

“Endeavor to persevere!”

(name that movie)
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,147 Senior Member
    In spite of minor problems ya did have a goodtime.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    fun times!

That is one fine looking porker too!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Finished up shooting and came up with a game plan on deer. I was after a 7 Point or Spike Cull buck I'd seen all season. Figured out where our best chance of seeing them would be and we headed to the stand.

Got set up and waited for the deer to start moving.

bBeh5ZL.jpg

Didn’t take long and we had a herd of about 8-10 does and yearlings come out at 260 yards. While tempting, not what I was looking for.

Then a real iffy “3 Point” came out. But, he was young and needed another year before the axe fell on him.

More deer. Does, yearlings, small bucks. And big 9 Point..........not what we were after.

Q5tJhwn.jpg

Finally, just when I was beginning to waiver on my decision about the 3 point...........out comes the 7!!!

Bingo!!! That’s who I was after!! But, by then, we had deer all over the place. And it was hard to get any to stand still. After chasing him around in the scope........they all decided........it was time to leave.

Let me take a brief brief pause to state that.......I asked Ernie to shoot the deer in the shoulder so he wouldn’t run off into the thick scrub and have to be drug out. Apparently, a Wyoming shoulder is different than a Texas shoulder.

:guns:
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,705 Senior Member
    Now, wait a minute Junior...You actually mentioned a heart shot first.
    I said I was planning on doing a double shoulder shot, since I rarely go for heart shots...
    I did a head shot on the pig, even though I rarely do head shots...since you wanted it.
    Then, I did a "high heart shot" or a "low shoulder shot":jester:
    When I put the bullet where you want...On demand shooting each time, and all you do is complain.:bang::wink:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,417 Senior Member
    The Outlaw Josey Wales. Fun time guys, I live vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    NOTE TO SELF: If you ever use one of Zee's, guns, never let him set bi-pod height for you.
    His pics don't show it, but the guy must have a neck like a giraffe-Nough said:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    NOTE TO SELF: If you ever use one of Zee's, guns, never let him set bi-pod height for you.
    His pics don't show it, but the guy must have a neck like a giraffe-Nough said:jester:

Ah, the trials of life.

Ya know........they are adjustable. :tooth:
    So, almost as a whole, all the deer decided it was time to leave and began to wander off. Our buck was meandering in and out of the group. Either covered by or in front of another deer. At a bad angle or moving. It’s was about crunch time.

On top of that, I’m trying to video and coordinate the shot. Knowing I have a wider field of view than Ernie (through his scope), I’m calling out the buck’s actions or those around him. Just before the 7 Point gets to the brush, I bleat at him and he stops and looks our way, broadside.

serFJP3.jpg

BOOM!!!

Another pause. So, I had asked Ernie to shoulder shoot and drop him. Ernie is a good shot. A VERY good shot! Looking through the camera at the shot, I see the buck spin around 180 degrees and run with not much of a flinch. Thinking shoulder shot, which means the scapula/spine/heavy bone..........this deer isn’t hit, there is little chance he could run with two broken shoulders! I tell Ernie........he missed. He quickly tries to reload the single shot pistol as the buck makes it 10 or 12 yards........falters.........pauses........and falls over.

Done.

4iv6W9t.jpg

A perfect heart shot. Decidedly effective. Decidedly NOT a shoulder shot. In this case......just as effective. A dead deer that didn’t go far.

In truth, the heart is my favorite shot. Ernie did well.

NbKUBPR.jpg

A nice cull buck. Been after him all season!! And Ernie got him. Proud and pleased of and for him.
    Back at the barn, we start the butchering process. Seeing as how I was wearing my good sandals, I didn’t want to get them bloody. So, I went barefoot.

5rnFi75.jpg

8n9LrhJ.jpg

Guess I ain’t eating that heart.

1nLIyw8.jpg

And, just in case any of you were wondering. Ernie’s got balls.

tKQS2Es.jpg

I had an awesome time. Hunting and shooting with a good friend and brother. Glad he could come down. Hope it won’t be the last.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,478 Senior Member
    Nice set of rattling antlers on that one.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Great hunting and of course excellent shooting. Congrats all around.

Curious, what was wrong with the revolver?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,842 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Great hunting and of course excellent shooting. Congrats all around.

Curious, what was wrong with the revolver?

Yeah me too.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I’ll get the video of the deer hunt downloaded and posted this afternoon.
    First time to ever watch someone take care of an animal barefooted-Kind of cool and weird at the same time.
    On the revolver, the "hand" had been dragging some. Worked on it a little more and expected it to clean up with more shooting.
    What was discovered this afternoon is that my side plate had come loose. You could tighten it with the tip of your finger/fingernail.
    Both that you could see were loose, and I am guessing the one under the grip is loose too. That would make the "guts" of the frame do silly things.
    Have not taken it apart yet though.
    Will be stealing some of Emily's fingernail polish in the near future (not for Zee when is taking care of critters barefoot).
    If I remember correctly, Zee noticed darkness along the side plate and thought carbon was blowing out at first.
    Guessing now,the plate was slightly raised up and that what was noticed.
    Honestly, I never thought to check that (none of us checked that this past week)...Been out of the revolver game to long I guess.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Here is the deer hunting video. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/i8a2oR91PMQ
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    As always, nice pics and video. You're a lucky man to have friends who allow access to so much land.

What brand of NV were y'all using? Personally owned?
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    We are both very fortunate in the areas we get to hunt.
    Brand Unobtaineum
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The two of us do not get together nearly as much as we would like.
    Seriously going to try for a yearly get together.
    Last time was non-stop action.
    This time, we were able to spend more relaxed/visiting time together, which, for me was more important than anything else.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The two of us do not get together nearly as much as we would like.
    Seriously going to try for a yearly get together.
    Last time was non-stop action.
    This time, we were able to spend more relaxed/visiting time together, which, for me was more important than anything else.

Last time, was during planting season and the pigs were destroying crops. We were fast and furious without much break for 3 days.

This time, we were before the planting season. So, the pigs were scattered and not a problem. Knowing this, I wanted to get Ernie a deer. Granted, we knew it would be a cull, but it was a deer.

I too wanted a more relaxed visit with time to hang out and introduce you to my boy and best friend.

We cooked Axis burgers one afternoon and pork ribs another. Got to shoot and visit......hunt a little.......I honestly enjoyed this one a little more. The last visit felt like work (which it really was). This one was fun.

Thanks for coming down
    JmNyEb0.jpg

Ribs!!

ZaOjXZO.jpg
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,825 Senior Member
    YUM!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

They were good!!!
    I was thinking of them again last night, since someone was mean enough to send pictures...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,825 Senior Member
    They were good!!!
    I was thinking of them again last night, since someone was mean enough to send pictures...
    Who would be so mean to a preacher?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file