Anyone used Sierra's Tipped Matchkings?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 16,827 Senior Member
Since they've been out for a while, I was just wondering if anyone has used any of them yet.

If so, used for, Target, Vermin, hunting?

How did they shoot for you compared to you previous bullet?

Anything that required terminal ballistics?

I'm thinking about trying some, one of these days, and possibly some of the ELD match in some "new" size/weight combos one of these days
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    Used them last season.

168gr .30cal TMK

Very accurate. Let a young man shoot an Axis doe with them. Killed her quickly. Ran about 15-20 yards and died. Bullet didn’t exit from the 55 yard behind the shoulder shot.

Seemed a little soft to me. But, I’d use them again if I had to.

I have been more pleased with the terminal performance from the ELD-Match.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    Thanks. I had forgotten about that thread :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,109 Senior Member
    I have a box is the .224 69 grain MK.

My original plan was to use them in my AR15 service rifle.

I have loaded some at mag length (5 rounds), but the seating depth required to get to the required COL seemed excessive.
    I got distracted, and put the project aside.

Also, I am out of 155 gn. MK I use for Palma, so I intend to do some research & try the 155 TMK. As I recall from discussions on another forum that I frequent, people were finding improvement minimal.

Since my Palma rifle is down for repairs & I have some time before the next match on my schedule, I intend to revisit the 223 first.

I should a report in the not too distant future.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    I should a report in the not too distant future.
    :popcorn:

• PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,468 Senior Member
    I have heard good reports on the TMKs and some of the bullets have really gained in performance with the upgrade. The best example is the 30-cal 168TMK. Sierra took the opportunity to fix the problem with the boat tail of the 168SMK by reducing the angle. The 168TMK is no longer the poster child of the 30 caliber bullet tumbling out of control before getting to 1000 yards.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    I've used the Sierra Tipped Game Kings. I never buy match bullets except for my .223 Bolt gun. The 68 grain Hornady match bullet is the only thing that rifle will shoot. The game kings are great for hunting.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I've used the Sierra Tipped Game Kings............The game kings are great for hunting.

Not sure there is such a beast. Got a link?
    Zee wrote: »
    Not sure there is such a beast. Got a link?

There isn't. The Sierra tipped bullets are Match Kings or Blitz. No Tipped Game Kings. At least, not now. Maybe he has samples of an upcoming offering.
    Well hell, I can't find the box they came in even. I just have these five loaded rounds in the back of a box of loaded rounds I know to be 117 Grain lead tipped Game Kings. What color is the tip on SMKs? Maybe that's what I had. I need to look up what I loaded. I log all loads on the computer. I'll find it. Now I know how Gene felt when he had that thread about Alzheimers. You're not alone Gene.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake, we are talking about the Sierra Tipped Match King (TMK) which is a plastic (acetal resin) tipped bullet.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/7768/308-dia-168-gr-Tipped-MatchKing-TMK

Much like a multitude of other makers “plastic” tipped bullets.

Not talking lead.
    For the longest time, people had been ragging on Sierra for their crummy meplats; ragged, uneven size, etc. Their answer was always the same, crummy meplats don't make a difference. Of course that was rapidly disproven and I guess when they finally realized that their bullets were not the ones used to set new records, they had a late epiphany. Hornady was among one of the early adopters of "plastic" tips, in their A-Max and V-max offerings, but those tips had some issues, like melting in flight and suddenly your bullet did loop-the-loops or worse. They have since corrected that.

At any rate, Sierra decided to tip some of their Match Kings and they actually selected bullets that should be similar to Bergers used in competition.

Berger does not tip their bullets, but their meplats are much better than what Sierra was offering pre-tipping. However, lots of competitors trim the tip of their Berger bullets. In competition, I use JLKs which have better meplats than Bergers, but I have taken to tipping even these bullets as the level of competition increased. I don't trim them as they don't need that but I tip them all with a Whidden die just to make sure the tiny meplats are all the same as well as smaller.

I have heard of a few F-classers trying the TMKs, but since the trend in F-TR has shifted to 200+ grain high-BC .308 bullets, Sierra has not kept pace with a tipped heavy, so they don't show up.

On the other hand, many premium ammo offerings now feature the 175TMK (and others,) and that's good. I've also seen premium ammo with Berger bullets. On other forums that I frequent, a number of PRS shooters are reporting good things about premium ammo with TMKs. Some of these guys don't handload, unlike virtually all F-classers.
    Zee wrote: »
    Snake, we are talking about the Sierra Tipped Match King (TMK) which is a plastic (acetal resin) tipped bullet.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/7768/308-dia-168-gr-Tipped-MatchKing-TMK

Much like a multitude of other makers “plastic” tipped bullets.

Not talking lead.

I understand that. What I was talking about is what I have on hand. I still don't know what those blue tipped bullets are. They are plastic. I had a brain fart and thought they were GC also. I only have five left. Whatever they were they are something I bought back when I first got my .257 BOB AI from my gun smith. At that time I finally settled on Combined Technologies Ballistic Tips. I had since tried some 117 Grain SGKs. I oughta have my ass whipped for putting these 5 in the box along with regular Game Kings.

Do Hornady SSTs have plastic tips? And if so, what color are the tips?
    Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullet, 115gr. They have blue tips for .257 caliber bullets.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ballistic-tip/ballistic-tip-hunting-25-caliber-115-grain-bullet-50ct.html

The Hornady SSTs are red.
    Thank you Brother Peg! And you Jogged my memory. I remember now, I bought those when I couldn't get the Combined Technologies. I didn't log them up because they were so close to the Combined Technologies and are loaded accordingly.

Edited to Add:

Sierra needs to get on the band wagon and make some tipped GKs. They make a hollow point GK, they could put tips on them as well. They could make an already fine bullet better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file