1000 yard range coming in just 5 miles from me!

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I love that thing! When you hit it, it slaps down to the ground like it got shot in the sack and springs back up. Way more dramatic than a plate clanging.:tooth:
    Were you there the last time Vic LaFrank was? He went through MOST of the Beowulf ammo I'd brought, slapping the snot out of it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• HummerHummer Member Posts: 53 Member
    Well consider it this way. To my knowledge that will be the only 1000 range in Florida.

To my knowledge there is only two 1000 range in Georgia, (Ft. Benning) (Ft. Gordon) two in SC but they are privately owned, one in North Carolina (Butner) One in Virginia (Quantico). Two in Tennessee Oak Ridge Sportsman's Assn and Tullahoma (Air Force Base)

By the time you figure gas, accommodations etc that is a pretty good deal.

Hopefully they are putting in pits for competition.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power & Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), US Palma Teams, US Dewar Teams. Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground. Charter Member Int Wound Ballistics Assn. NRA Benefactor, Shriner, AC4HT
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,050 Senior Member
    Hummer wrote: »
    Well consider it this way. To my knowledge that will be the only 1000 range in Florida.

To my knowledge there is only two 1000 range in Georgia, (Ft. Benning) (Ft. Gordon) two in SC but they are privately owned, one in North Carolina (Butner) One in Virginia (Quantico). Two in Tennessee Oak Ridge Sportsman's Assn and Tullahoma (Air Force Base)

By the time you figure gas, accommodations etc that is a pretty good deal.

Hopefully they are putting in pits for competition.

To the best of my knowledge, there are three in Florida and two of them are within twentyfive miles from here.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,087 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, there are three in Florida and two of them are within twentyfive miles from here.
    Whatever. You just live there. How would you know?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,109 Senior Member
    I have to agree with Z.

Give it a shot, but if you have any sucess at all be prepared for an addiction.

Honesty, you don't need a purpose built rifle & maticulatiously built hand loads, to give it a go. There are plenty of rifles and factory ammo that are passable.

I had a conversation with a retired Army Lt. Col. Who shot his first LR match -service rifle catagory - with his AR, Rock River NM, A2, iron sights, 1-8 twist, 80 grain SMK. Switched to a STD M1a before buying his purpose built Palma rifle.

The first Palma match (8-9&1K yards) I participated in, I was thrilled to be on paper (6'x6' frame). As the wind got up later in the day, I was happy to hit the impact berm.

Trivia, at 1K yds. The 308W 155 grain bullet at the top of the arch is 33 feet above the firing point.

I drive 6 hours to shoot 1K, (Raton & Capitan NM) as a result, I don't go as much as I want, and as soon as I finish and drive home, I'm planning the next trip.

Otherwise I make due with the 500 yard range at my local club.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,050 Senior Member
    I really would like to try shooting at those distances but the issue is that these ranges require an expensive annual membership. You can't just pay per trip to try it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file