Anyone wanting to deer hunt Montana this year.

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,040 Senior Member
Blame six-gun.

The deadline for applying for a non-resident deer tag is March 15. You can go to the following web site and see what is offered.

http://fwp.mt.gov/

I have reviewed this, and find it about as confusing as what Colorado has. But, if I understand the situation correctly, it costs about $625 for a non-resident deer tag that allows you to kill one deer of either sex or species, and an upland bird license and fishing license. For an additional $75, you can get a second deer tag for doe only.

I'm thinking of making a hunt up there this year, so if anyone's interested, especially from Texas or thereabouts, give me a shout.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Comments

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,109 Senior Member
    Probably not in the cards for '18, but it is under consideration.

I'll be in touch.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »

I'll be in touch.

Cool. Let me know if/when you want to try this.
    Jerry

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    Jerry, when you thinking? I am interested, I have access to a pop up I can haul up
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    I am thinking I am past due to walk in the mountains, got my CO DOW book in the mail this week and need to make some decisions, what are you guys thinking?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,068 Senior Member
    I miss living/hunting Montana.

But, my stomping grounds are probably quite a bit further north than you guys will go.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Jerry, when you thinking? I am interested, I have access to a pop up I can haul up

Dan, I think the season runs from late September through the month of October. I'm still not 100% sure I'll go, but time is running out for applying.

A pop up would be perfect, in my opinion. I was considering renting one if I make the trip. There's a place down the road from me that does that. If I could find a place closer to the hunting ground, that would be even better. But, if you can make the hunt and bring your trailer, even more better.

I need to make a few phone calls and do some further checking. I called the Montana department of wildlife (or whatever it's called) and asked them to mail me an application form. I find a paper form easier to read and decipher than a pdf file on the net.
    Jerry

Jerry I'll take a read today on the regs.

Chiro,

Just got my reg book, no idea what I'm thinking. I'm still playing the point game. Was also thinking about going to Alaska for blacktail/salmon combo (missed the application for Roosevelt elk dangit). That would be the reason I chose a synthetic 375 ;)
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I am thinking I am past due to walk in the mountains, got my CO DOW book in the mail this week and need to make some decisions, what are you guys thinking?

Scott, I'm still undecided other than it won't be Colorado. I'm not interested in elk hunting. Too damn much work, and I already have as good a bull as I want. My main objective is to get a good, trophy mule deer or whitetail, and I think eastern Montana provides a good opportunity for both. The upland bird hunting is a nice extra, regardless of whether or not I take advantage of it.

If you drive through North Dakota, though, be aware that ANY deer coming into the state from Montana have to be check for CWD. I'm not sure how that is done, but it's something you should know about.

We still have a few days to work out details. I'm just trying to generate some interest.
    Jerry

Zee wrote: »
    I miss living/hunting Montana.

But, my stomping grounds are probably quite a bit further north than you guys will go.

Change is good, Zee. At least that's what someone told me. Besides, I want to see you shoot one from a mile away. :jester:
    Jerry

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »

I'll be in touch.

Add me to the list.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    I'd love a crack at a whitetail, and wouldn't pass on a mule deer either!
    Add me to the list.

For '18 or next year?
    Jerry

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,633 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

If you drive through North Dakota, though, be aware that ANY deer coming into the state from Montana have to be check for CWD. I'm not sure how that is done, but it's something you should know about.

We have the same CWD issue here in MI..... Here is the law from our state
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153--73145--,00.html

If they confiscate a deer carcass for testing it will be destroyed regardless of the tests results and you will be fined....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jerry I'll take a read today on the regs.

Chiro,

Just got my reg book, no idea what I'm thinking. I'm still playing the point game. Was also thinking about going to Alaska for blacktail/salmon combo (missed the application for Roosevelt elk dangit). That would be the reason I chose a synthetic 375 ;)
    Scott, I'm still undecided other than it won't be Colorado. I'm not interested in elk hunting. Too damn much work, and I already have as good a bull as I want. My main objective is to get a good, trophy mule deer or whitetail, and I think eastern Montana provides a good opportunity for both. The upland bird hunting is a nice extra, regardless of whether or not I take advantage of it.

We still have a few days to work out details. I'm just trying to generate some interest.

I am up to go as long as it is not too late in October and not in November at all, if I can get an elk tag, mo' better yet.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Should be able to get a combo tag. This may actually be better, the winter kill was extreme last year in CO
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I am up to go as long as it is not too late in October and not in November at all, if I can get an elk tag, mo' better yet.

I think you can get a combo deer/elk tag for around a grand. However, finding an area that gives you a good chance of getting both may be difficult.
    Jerry

I will get on it.
    Sounds like a good plan to me.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,751 Senior Member
    Sorry for not posting sooner. I'm deployed overseas right now and my connectivity is hit-and-miss.

Montana was best described to me as "an opportunity state." That is absolutely accurate in my experience. What it lacks in pure trophy potential, it makes up for in extremely good deer numbers. I'll be honest: seeing a true trophy out there is going to be tough. Colorado typically has much bigger racked deer than Montana. About the only places you'll be seeing 30+" mule deer in MT are going to be on extremely pricey private ranches along the powder river. That said, the years I've been there have been 100% successful all tags held. That's a mix of both mule deer and whitetails of either sex depending on what was brewing that season. OnX software for your phone is an absolute. One state annual subscription should run you $30 for the year, but if you buy the premium maps for $99 (which is what I get since I hunt all over), you get all 50 states. Download whichever one you want and pre-load your desired hunting areas to your phone via wifi, you will be able to hunt so many pockets of available public land without cell service, it's not even funny. There's no doubt in my mind that you'll have deer down quickly. The low-res maps work fine, as all you really need to see are the public/private borders to stay out of trouble. The eastern part of the state is where we've enjoyed the most luck with the least pressure, but there rules in that regard never change: stay well away from cities and tourist towns, and you'll have a whole lot of places and game to yourselves.

MHS - if you're looking for a place where you have a shot at bagging a nice whitetail, you've found it. I'll teach you what habitat you need to look for in that general area and once you know what you look for, you'll be seeing plenty of them. There is just a ton of great whitetail habitat out that way. As Jerry suggested, I would hold off on the big game combo (deer/elk) for now and just get your feet wet with a deer combo and a whitetail or mule deer B license. The elk take valuable time to find unless you get lucky and land on them right off the bat, and you will still want to max out your learning and exposure on the first trip. We've had elk in areas we hunted every day of the trip one year and then not seen them in that area the next year because of hunt timing changes. The whitetail should still be a guaranteed over-the-counter tag this year, and you can either apply for it now or just buy it at a sporting goods store/Walmart/state game office when you get into the state.

If you guys lock this down and decide you want to apply for sure, let me know and I can make a quick tutorial for you to guide you through the party application process, and will be able to help you get settled on a location to hunt. My plans are still in flux because this year I'm putting in for my Nevada muzzleloader elk hunt. If I draw that tag, I'm going to be relegated to, at most, a quick weekend trip or two to hurry up and shoot a deer up in Montana. I can tell you straight up that if I'm not being choosy and want to hurry up and fill the freezer, punching a doe and a buck tag up there in a single hunting day on public land is not a problem.

Good glass - binos especially - is a must. A good spotter with a tripod and truck window base would also be a big help, as you can park and glass from out of the elements, or sit out on a ridge as you desire. We had several tags filled by simply pulling up to a ridge overlooking a large basin, picking out deer and playing the terrain for a stalk. You may have opportunities simply driving from point to point, but more often than not, I've either been sitting a knob or slow walking a new patch of land when something caught my eye in the binos and a subsequent opportunity unfolded. The glass made me certain whether that opportunity was worth pursing or passing.

As I've said in the past, have a shotgun, and know where it patterns for your intended load. A #5 pheasant load with a factory modified choke will pretty much everything within reasonable range. If you get lucky and find some fall turkeys, odds are good they will walk in the same general place every day. If you find a flock and tag out early, you can easily buy a turkey tag over the counter and simply sit, wait and kill one. If you see grouse or other upland birds flushing or landing on public, with the upland privileges you will already hold with your combo license you can simply go hunt them on the spot. That said, if you decide to hunt Block Management areas (another excellent resource that lets you hunt private land as public walk-in with a few ground rules), be sure to check the Block Management book before you go after birds or anything lese, for that matter. Some places require prior notice before you hunt to ensure de-confliction with private activities on the land. Others, you can simply sign in at a pre-positioned station, carry a stub from the sign-in book, and be good to hunt that entire day without a hiccup.

Montana is an expensive state to hunt, but I have never regretted a single penny spent hunting there.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    It's about time you chimed in, Luis.

I talked to someone from Montana FPW yesterday. She was in Miles City, which is the HQ for hunting district (HD) 7. She told me that mule deer buck tags for that area are unlimited, and all I had to do was apply for a general purpose deer tag. I don't see how to do that with the application, though, and am wondering if she was correct.

She also told me that they are experiencing a severe winter, so next fall's deer numbers may be down.

I don't know if HD 7 is the place to go, or if it would be better to go further north.

BTW, all things considered, the price of a non-resident hunt in Montana compares favorably to what I can do in Texas. I did find a place nearby that offers the opportunity to take a 130-140 class deer for $2500. I need to confirm that price, though, as well as do some more research on it.
    Jerry

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,751 Senior Member
    My understanding is that, as a non-resident, you have to put in for a deer combo. At least that's how it was when we started putting in a few years back. She may not have realized you are a non-resident, and that probably also explains why the option to put in for a simple deer permit is not appearing.

As for the tough winter, I am not surprised to hear that given how cold its been where I am in Nebraska, almost due south of eastern MT. We've been well into the negatives this year, and I was expecting to hear that MT had it tough. That said, you most likely will not want to venture any further north than you must. When we first started hunting there, they game numbers were recovering from a particularly bad winter and the numbers in the southern part of the state were recovering earlier than anywhere else. The biologist at the time advised that we stay down that way accordingly. It may just be coincidence, but I'd guess that's it more likely because every little bit of southern latitude helps raise the temp, even just a bit. Needless to say, we stayed south and had very good luck.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I'm in. The good odds to fill the freezer are enough for me. Plus if we commit to this, I'll commit to actually learning to shoot a shotgun. Haven't done that since I was at scout camp probably 25 years ago. Just need to spruce up the A5 and get out to the clay range
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    For '18 or next year?

Next year, 2019. 2018 is too busy for me to properly prepare for a hunt like this.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    I'm in. The good odds to fill the freezer are enough for me. Plus if we commit to this, I'll commit to actually learning to shoot a shotgun. Haven't done that since I was at scout camp probably 25 years ago. Just need to spruce up the A5 and get out to the clay range

Dan, I misstated the season dates earlier. The season runs from Oct. 20 - Nov. 25. My preference is to make a late October of early November hunt. I'll be coming a long way, and don't want to risk getting caught in a blizzard or bad weather.
    Jerry

Yea that should be doable. I'm talking to my hunting buddy Alan about coming to (Luis has hunted with him). He is a MT native so he can get a special former resident tag. Kinda cool deal, MT natives who now live out of state, you encourage them to come back and hunt
    Yea that should be doable. I'm talking to my hunting buddy Alan about coming to (Luis has hunted with him). He is a MT native so he can get a special former resident tag. Kinda cool deal, MT natives who now live out of state, you encourage them to come back and hunt

I just got off of the phone with the FWP folks. I talked to a very nice lady about their block management program, which is something you may want to look into. Also, to apply for a general purpose deer license, just check the box for that and leave the back/second page blank. It has to be done by March 15, though, and there's no guarantee that you will draw. Pretty much all of HD 7 does not require a permit, but does require a general purpose deer license.

There's also a drawing that you have to apply for by June 1. I think it allows you to draw a second deer tag. I'm not real clear on the details of that.
    Jerry

I think that 2nd draw is for B license second doe tags. Also something about buying bonus points with the application and that'll count towards the draw, or buying them later for next years draw. I'll dig into it more tonight.

HD7 what you're thinking?
    Yes, HD7. At least until advised otherwise. It's the southeast corner of the state. Maybe Luis can offer a different opinion.
    Jerry

Looking HD7 up on MT webpage, its 25% of the mule deer harvest and 10% of the WT harvest, for a total of 17% of the entire states deer harvest. Looks pretty solid. Good public land, lots of BMA.

Late fall might be a little chilly in a pop up though. May have to also look at motels as a back up option.
    Looking HD7 up on MT webpage, its 25% of the mule deer harvest and 10% of the WT harvest, for a total of 17% of the entire states deer harvest. Looks pretty solid. Good public land, lots of BMA.

Late fall might be a little chilly in a pop up though. May have to also look at motels as a back up option.

Wimp. :jester:

I've tent camped at 9k+ in mid October. It's not that bad. Besides, I've got a propane heater I can bring.
    Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file