Anyone wanting to deer hunt Montana this year.

2»

Replies

  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Wimp. :jester:

    I've tent camped at 9k+ in mid October. It's not that bad. Besides, I've got a propane heater I can bring.

    Hell, you say. The last day we were there, I was walking around in a tee shirt at 25F feeling like it was summer. The nights, though....they were something else.

    Remember the Flight for Life helicopter flying in below our campsite to carry out the guy that got smashed by his horse?

    That was a cold night.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,753 Senior Member
    I think that 2nd draw is for B license second doe tags. Also something about buying bonus points with the application and that'll count towards the draw, or buying them later for next years draw. I'll dig into it more tonight.

    HD7 what you're thinking?

    That is correct. I put in for the mule deer B (doe) license in a later drawing last year and got picked up during that later drawing. The whitetail B license has been a guaranteed tag for any drawn general deer license holder all but for a single year that we applied. Even then, we bought leftovers without any issue.

    We have hunted in Region 3 near Helena and Region 7 in the middle of freaking nowhere. Knowing what I know now, I'll take the middle of nowhere every singe time. With a pop-up camper, you'll have amazing flexibility to move and camp wherever is hot for the game. Be warned: if you get ANY rain/wet snow out there, the mud will become viciously slick, so I highly suggest keeping that in mind when you select a spot.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,486 Senior Member
    I'm in. The good odds to fill the freezer are enough for me. Plus if we commit to this, I'll commit to actually learning to shoot a shotgun. Haven't done that since I was at scout camp probably 25 years ago. Just need to spruce up the A5 and get out to the clay range

    Dan, I misstated the season dates earlier. The season runs from Oct. 20 - Nov. 25. My preference is to make a late October of early November hunt. I'll be coming a long way, and don't want to risk getting caught in a blizzard or bad weather.

    Pick A date guys, it is not looking good for me, I just had to replace my second appliance this month, cash flow is tight.

    A date would help me look at a calendar to weigh some options. 

    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    I'm thinking somewhere between Oct 20 and Nov 3
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,753 Senior Member
    That’s a great time to go, Dan.  It’s pre-rut and pressure should be exceptionally light in an already low pressure area.  I have a specific area in mind for you guys if that’s when you lock in.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I'm in. The good odds to fill the freezer are enough for me. Plus if we commit to this, I'll commit to actually learning to shoot a shotgun. Haven't done that since I was at scout camp probably 25 years ago. Just need to spruce up the A5 and get out to the clay range

    Dan, I misstated the season dates earlier. The season runs from Oct. 20 - Nov. 25. My preference is to make a late October of early November hunt. I'll be coming a long way, and don't want to risk getting caught in a blizzard or bad weather.

    Pick A date guys, it is not looking good for me, I just had to replace my second appliance this month, cash flow is tight.

    A date would help me look at a calendar to weigh some options. 


    Scott,

    I'm leaning toward the first or second week of the season.  My thinking is that the second week will have fewer hunters.  Also, Montana has a block management program that allows hunters to hunt private property.  Some of those properties require call in reservations or advanced permission from the land owner.  I figure it will be easier to get access to those on on the second week. 

    I think the season starts Oct. 20.

    I don't know what the others are thinking, so maybe they can chime in.

    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    Consider me locked in, Luis.  I plan to apply (including for a preference point).  Unless something unforeseeable happens between now and then, I'm a go for this.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,753 Senior Member
    Roger that.  I’ll call you soon.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Recklenz33Recklenz33 Posts: 10 New Member
    Deer hunting is always interesting. I would like to be a part. :)
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    Deer hunting is always interesting. I would like to be a part. :)


    How about providing a little background?  Where do you live?  How much hunting experience do you have?  What would you be shooting (firearm, that is)?  Anything else of interest a hunting partner should know?

    If you're serious about making a hunt this fall, let me know.  However, I need to know a little about you.

    And, I see you've only made 5 posts, so welcome aboard.

    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Recklenz33Recklenz33 Posts: 10 New Member
    Yes, I am totally new and I don't have much experience in hunting as well. But honestly, my grandfather did. He shared so much hunting experience with me. So I know little pros and cons of hunting. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    I can't add much to Jerrys' post. I would have asked the same questions. No offense intended, and I mean that sincerely. But the hunt Jerry is describing isn't for novices. And I don't mean that in a condescending way either. Go whack a few rabbits, squirrels, and maybe a deer or two. Then decide if you really want to do this at high altitude. It's way different up there. The fun's over when you pull the trigger. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,486 Senior Member
    I am going to have to pass unfortunately, too many trips already planned before July and I am too cash starved at the moment to buy the tags, you guys better post some big dead deer picks as future motivation, have fun.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    I can't add much to Jerrys' post. I would have asked the same questions. No offense intended, and I mean that sincerely. But the hunt Jerry is describing isn't for novices. And I don't mean that in a condescending way either. Go whack a few rabbits, squirrels, and maybe a deer or two. Then decide if you really want to do this at high altitude. It's way different up there. The fun's over when you pull the trigger. Mike


    We learned the hard way, didn't we?

    I think that Recklenz33 is in Bangladesh, and was probably just expressing a desire he wishes to fulfill some day.  I wish you get to do that, Recklenz33.

    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member

    I just finished submitting my online application.  Now the wait begins. 

    It's your turn, Dan.

    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    I'll get on that! 

    HD7 right? That is what I  need to apply for?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    I'm also putting in for the point. And I will put in for the 2nd draw in June for the doe tag. 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    Alright I'm applied for general deer. I can't find anything about needing a permit in addition for the 700 areas. I hope I did this right!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    Alright I'm applied for general deer. I can't find anything about needing a permit in addition for the 700 areas. I hope I did this right!
    I was concerned about that too, Dan.  I talked to a nice lady in the Fish, Parks and Wildlife office and she assured me that all I had to do was apply for a general license.  I think you're good.  If not, then I screwed up, too.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    Well then general app + point is in! Getting excited 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 677 Senior Member
    It's cold up there late in the year. You guys better take your woollies⛄
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,753 Senior Member
    Results should be posted by the week of April 15.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    Just an aside.... Tags in Colorado are going up in price this year. Guess why..... To "fund maintenance of recreational trails". Combining the DOW with the Dept of Parks is going to destroy hunting in this state. Montana....you rock! Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,753 Senior Member
    edited March 18 #55
    Just an aside.... Tags in Colorado are going up in price this year. Guess why..... To "fund maintenance of recreational trails". Combining the DOW with the Dept of Parks is going to destroy hunting in this state. Montana....you rock! Mike

    Not surprised in the least.  It's just amazing to me that if they ask for one red cent from the people actually using those trails for non-hunting purposes, there's no doubt in my mind that it will start a full-blown assault on the elected officials proposing the fee.  That use should be "free", after all.  Of course, this goes hand-in-hand with the newly introduced shed hunting season.  They could just tell people the season dates and inform them that it is now illegal to collect sheds before/after X/Y dates...but, of course, there's a license and fee now required to collect them, as well.  Once again, the traditional outdoorsmen are getting hit up for more cash.  Until further notice, with Colorado's skyrocketing population and refusal to charge the granola gang accordingly for their personal use, the state's hunting program is still definitely in serious trouble. 

    If there's good news for Colorado, it's that CPW is no longer holding the entire value of the hunting permit after applying, so it only costs a fraction of what it once did to put in for tags.  That's a big plus for non-resident tag purchasers if they have the patience to wait a very long time for a worthwhile hunt in the state.  You only take the big hit for a non-resident tag if you actually draw, and putting in for a point doesn't involve fronting the state hundreds of dollars for months at a time.  I am interested to see how this all shakes out.  It won't change the fact that drawing a low-pressure/high-success rate hunt in CO will take anywhere from 10-17 years to acquire, but at least you won't be fronting massive amounts of money in the process.   
     
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,107 Senior Member
    There's now a season on sheds? And it requires a permit? 

    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 677 Senior Member
    You guys just need to watch the plugs for the local news. Its a paradise here, a great wonderful world. Never mind the unaccounted for corpses that turn up weekly, the stopped traffic, nightly shootings, hit and run pedestrian mow downs, sky high cost of living, crumbling roads, and bridges, congestion so bad it breeds hostile aggression like a swamp breeds mosquitos, and at least in my neighborhood the ever present thump of the automobile boom box pulsating its rhythmic Excedrin headache to all within ear shot. Its paradise baby!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    You guys just need to watch the plugs for the local news. Its a paradise here, a great wonderful world. Never mind the unaccounted for corpses that turn up weekly, the stopped traffic, nightly shootings, hit and run pedestrian mow downs, sky high cost of living, crumbling roads, and bridges, congestion so bad it breeds hostile aggression like a swamp breeds mosquitos, and at least in my neighborhood the ever present thump of the automobile boom box pulsating its rhythmic Excedrin headache to all within ear shot. Its paradise baby!
    http://www.9news.com/article/news/crime/broomfield-pd-pipe-bomb-found-in-stolen-vehicle-at-walmart/73-529600684
    Pretty much listed all the reasons I left and now this, right down the street from where I used to live.

    Sako
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 677 Senior Member
    I saw that this morning. I've become so acclimated, I had already forgotten it. ☔
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    And..... I bought a house in Colorado Springs two (count it....two) years ago for $190K. Today it appraises for $249K and anything less than $300K results in a bidding war among buyers. $60K appreciation in 2 years. Great investment! Unless you want to live in it. Between taxes and insurance, my monthly note is $200 more than it was before I even finished ripping out the twenty year old carpet. I mention this only because the driving factor behind the Colorado Springs housing market is folks leaving DENVER (67 miles to the north) because it's cheaper to commute from here to there it is to live there. Didn't mean to derail your thread, Jerry...just wanted to point out some great reasons to move to Montana instead of Colorado. And the hunting's better there. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,753 Senior Member
    edited March 19 #61
    cpj said:
    There's now a season on sheds? And it requires a permit? 


    Yup.  And it's alllllll about protecting the animals...which is why we they didn't just declare a season, but started charging a fee if you want to do it.

    As Montana pertains to the conversation, they definitely do not charge cheap to hunt there, but you get your money's worth in peace, quiet, public land availability and game abundance if you simply steer clear of the obvious population centers.  Another big reason I like hunting there is that Montana has been one of the best states as far as protecting public use of their state trust lands.  For those that don't know, that is land that was granted to Montana by the federal government and entrusted for public use a long time back when states first joined the Union.  While I love recreating in Utah, they are infamous for selling off blocks of this public land to private interest the instant a pork project comes along that they want to fund.  They have given up something obscene (like 96%) of their state trust lands in return for bandaid fix funding.  Montana still has virtually all of it, and you can hunt on it freely save for very few exceptions.  Numerous deer that I've killed out there and all of the grouse I shot last season were shot on Montana state trust land.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file