Life Goal Accomplished!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,182 Senior Member
As of yesterday evening, I have officially taken a deer with everything from a .22cal to a .50cal centerfire cartridge!

I used my new .500 S&W barrel from MGM on my Encore Pistol to take a management doe with a 440gr WFN-GC bullet from Matt's Bullets.

xIzNQxP.jpg

kFNbP4R.jpg

4afjYsP.jpg

This is my Mouse Fart Load using 12gr of Trail Boss at 895 fps. Not my most accurate load (which came back to bit me) but, I had the loads and wanted to try them for science before I loaded up full bore ammo. Accuracy is about 3" at 50 yards and I thought that good enough if I kept the shot under 75 yards. I am here to tell you...........if you think "hitting a paper plate" or "Minute of Deer" is acceptable hunting accuracy..........well..........we must agree to disagree.

Anyway.........I set up in a pasture blind and put out some corn to get the deer inside of 75 yards.

ooakx5Q.jpg

x1IKrWf.jpg

Deer started to come out and before I knew it, I had about 20-30 of them around me out to 100 yards or so.

Here is a button buck standing at 67 yards and about my max distance I was going to be willing to shoot.

M2oU14Y.jpg

I glassed around, trying to pick the most mature doe and finally had her at 54 yards. Started the video and aimed in on her as she stood broadside. Resting on the sand bag, I had a perfectly stable platform. Aiming high on the shoulder to put a round through her scapula, I sent the bullet on it's way..........and could have sworn I saw the bullet in flight!!! On impact, the doe's back legs folded and she dropped to the ground! Wait! That's not where I was aiming!!! I could see the entrance wound towards the back half of her ribs and a tad higher than I wanted. But, she fell over anyway and began spinning around on the ground. Thinking, I was going to need another round.........I started digging through my pockets. Another crap!!! I'd left my other ammo in my truck! For a minute, I thought I was going to be chasing down a deer with my knife. But, she only made two rotations on the ground and lay still.........expired. Seems the shot was good enough after all.

Npfp0q9.jpg

pGO0cDJ.jpg

Science to follow.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    Well done!....Also, I like the nice respectful photos of downed game you post...minimal gore, no tongues hanging out....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,182 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Well done!....Also, I like the nice respectful photos of downed game you post...minimal gore, no tongues hanging out....

Thanks.

I’m not one who feels I need to “hide” the bullet hole as so many pics printed in magazines. But, a presentable picture to capture a memory is the goal.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,178 Senior Member
    Beautiful pictures. Congrats again!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,362 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Thanks.

I’m not one who feels I need to “hide” the bullet hole as so many pics printed in magazines. But, a presentable picture to capture a memory is the goal.

Until you explode a head with a .50 BMG.
    Anyway, good hustle.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    It is entirely possible that you did see the bullet in flight. A big enough pill moving slow enough at the right angle, possibly back lit by a low sun and spied by extreme concentration. Very possible.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,599 Senior Member
    Once again AWESOME
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,923 Senior Member
    What no guts and gore
    I have a need for speed
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,779 Senior Member
    Very nice work and very cool accomplishment! That's a dirty feeling when you KNOW where you aimed and KNOW you made a great trigger pull and see the projectile impact somewhere other than expected. Glad it worked out and glad that you refuted the old adage about "hitting a paper plate." Life's too short to chase wounded deer.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,636 Senior Member
    As of yesterday evening, I have officially taken a deer with everything from a .22cal to a .50cal centerfire cartridge!

Well. . .gosh. Anybody got a .56 Spencer we can loan this kid?:jester:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    This is a 50 yard group from my Encore with the 440gr Trail Boss load I worked up to play with. A very low recoiling load at 895 fps. But, not the most accurate load as you can see. I foolishly believed it would be usable still.

1Hk3Ks6.jpg

I aimed 1/3 of the way down from her spine and centered on her shoulder. She was broadside and still. I used a sand filled rear bag for a rest. Which, was steady as a rock. Am I egotistical enough to say it wasn’t me? No. Am I confident enough to say the shot felt good? Yes. So, poop happens......I guess.

The shot broke clean with no flinch or alteration. Unfortunately for me, the impact was a bit further back than anticipated.

Entrance.

yjtMT6j.jpg

EuMnplF.jpg

UWzJeIW.jpg

Exit.

MYDUtFd.jpg

ieG1MxY.jpg

rApnxcM.jpg

The low velocity, heavy bullet punched through with little fanfare but definitive results. And yes, I was able to eat right up to the bullet hole.
    NN wrote: »
    What no guts and gore

I butchered her bare foot again. There are your guts. Happy?

cZa1bLP.jpg
    early wrote: »
    It is entirely possible that you did see the bullet in flight. A big enough pill moving slow enough at the right angle, possibly back lit by a low sun and spied by extreme concentration. Very possible.

Oh, I saw it. I got it on video!! Downloading now.

:guns:
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Very nice work and very cool accomplishment! That's a dirty feeling when you KNOW where you aimed and KNOW you made a great trigger pull and see the projectile impact somewhere other than expected. Glad it worked out and glad that you refuted the old adage about "hitting a paper plate." Life's too short to chase wounded deer.

Believe me, I’m frustrated. Where I hit is NOT where I aimed.

If I knew it was me, I’m more than willing to own up to it. Trouble is, I don’t know. That’s what pisses me off. I know when I pull a shot and I know when the gun is at fault.

I can’t confirm either on this one. So, maybe a “bit of both”?
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member

If I knew it was me, I’m more than willing to own up to it. Trouble is, I don’t know. That’s what pisses me off. I know when I pull a shot and I know when the gun is at fault.

I can’t confirm either on this one. So, maybe a “bit of both”?
    Come on... you know it was the massive recoil.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Come on... you know it was the massive recoil.

Yeah.

My BOY could shoot this load!! It’s as powder puff as CPJ’s undies.

:jester:
    Here is the video in all it’s revealing glory.

https://youtu.be/psakH1CbnPs

Yes! You can see the bullet right before it hits her! That’s the coolest part of the video. Regardless of the impact not being where I intended.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member
    Yeah.

My BOY could shoot this load!!
    I am sure he could. But unlike you, HE would have put it straight through the heart. :jester:
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am sure he could. But unlike you, HE would have put it straight through the heart. :jester:

True.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,362 Senior Member
    Here is the video in all it’s revealing glory.

https://youtu.be/psakH1CbnPs

Yes! You can see the bullet right before it hits her! That’s the coolest part of the video. Regardless of the impact not being where I intended.
    That was cool. Know what's cooler? In YouTube you can set the playback speed. As low as 25%. You can see the vapor trail and bullet a ways before it hits.
    The bullet did just what it was supposed to. Go in and out like I figured. And tomorrow you can go back to where you shot, use the video to see where the bullet impacted the dirt, and see if you can recover it.
    Oh. And I'd just like to point out that you down loaded a very powerful cartridge. Heard someone bitching about people doing that. Can't remember where...or who...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    That was cool. Know what's cooler? In YouTube you can set the playback speed. As low as 25%. You can see the vapor trail and bullet a ways before it hits.
    The bullet did just what it was supposed to. Go in and out like I figured. And tomorrow you can go back to where you shot, use the video to see where the bullet impacted the dirt, and see if you can recover it.
    Oh. And I'd just like to point out that you down loaded a very powerful cartridge. Heard someone bitching about people doing that. Can't remember where...or who...

I’ll try the play back speed thing. Where is it oocated?

I plan to try try and recover the bullet now. Just like you mentioned.

I plan to upload the cartridge now and compare the results.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,709 Senior Member
    Goal Accomplished! Good work!!!
    Most all of us know the feeling of the bullet not going where we expected it-Welcome to humanity.
    This will probably eat on you for awhile.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,075 Senior Member
    I’ll try the play back speed thing. Where is it oocated?.
    Second option down behind the settings "gear" or "bolt head" looking thing on the lower right.

Same place you can adjust quality, rotations and auto-play
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    Just curious, why was she a management / cull doe? size? Too many? She looked healthy enough.

Don't take this the wrong way , but it is kind of good to see you are human. Most of us here miss occaissionally, and your "miss" resulted in a down right there doe.

Again, good shooting Tex!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Just curious, why was she a management / cull doe? size? Too many? She looked healthy enough.

An older, mature doe.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,636 Senior Member

If I knew it was me, I’m more than willing to own up to it. Trouble is, I don’t know. . .

Newish gun, new less-than-stellar load, impact to the left which is where we right handers tend to hit when we do screw up. . .don't think we're ever gonna know on this one. Still. . .punched a lung, at least stunned the spine, maybe clipped the big artery? Meh. It's a clean kill. We KNOW what happens when you hit them square in the heart with something like that (or nearly anything else, for that matter). Sometimes the science is more valuable when we get results we DON'T expect. Load or operator, the next one will be better.

FWIW, I LIKE the idea of that load if you can wring it out to satisfaction. If you were going to have a "training wheels" setup for a novice handgun hunter, a round that doesn't kick but can still pile-drive it's way through half a stockyard's worth of meat has a lot to recommend it. Hell, as I typed that, I started contemplating a rifle-length Encore shooting it as well - brake and all.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,709 Senior Member
    You can surely see the bullet.
    Have you rechecked your zero, since the doe kill?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You can surely see the bullet.
    Have you rechecked your zero, since the doe kill?

No. Not yet.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,923 Senior Member
    I butchered her bare foot again. There are your guts. Happy?

IMG]

yep
    I have a need for speed
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Second option down behind the settings "gear" or "bolt head" looking thing on the lower right.

Same place you can adjust quality, rotations and auto-play

Ah! Couldn't find it on my phone. But, did on a computer. Thanks,
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,190 Senior Member
    I started digging through my pockets. Another crap!!! I'd left my other ammo in my truck!

Bet that's the last time you do that!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file