Which 10/22 would you buy

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 31,182 Senior Member
Man they have enough Ruger 10/22 variations to make my ole haid hurt............I like the fiber optic sights (red and green) that Davidsons Gallery is offering, but the FO sights only come in the take down Exclusive models from what I can tell. Talo and others have Exclusives too with different stocks whatever. All are more $$$ than a run of the mill model.

I do like stainless steel. The TD model also has a threaded bbl/flash suppressor I was looking at, but  over $400 and I can pick up a SS regular model with synthetic stock (what I want) fer what $229 at RK and a TD SS for $339.

My plan if I pull the trigger is to order the Ruger aftermarket trigger and a couple 25 rd mags. Maybe a few more rotary 10 rd mags which I have some already for my American .22

I don't plan to add a scope at this time, unless ICHS without one using the irons.
If I were to start that way I think I'd get a target hvy bbl version to start.

I see no immediate plans for a suppressor for me either. Where is that legislation at....on hold?

Far as TD models.......I dunno how often I'd take one down anyway. Some forum members have them and have no complaints I have read on here.

I owned 2 or 3 10/22s over the years and wasn't quite happy with any of them for one reason or the other, sold them all. The kid-like short stocks and hard triggers with so so accuracy is what I remember. Maybe I didn't give them a long enough chance.

I'm contemplating another again...........I don't expect miracles, but with the Ruger BX(?) triggers available and the 25 rd mags, I can see a lot of range/plinking fun using detachable mags. My Marlin 60 shoots pretty darn good, but the tube-feeding is time consuming.

Do those quick reload tube looking devices that fill a tube fed .22 work that well?

Maybe I should just fergit this bright idy and buy another AR for about what one of the Exclusive models cost or for a $150-200 more than a regular 10/22???

So who owns a 10/22 and what are your likes and dislikes of your particular model?

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,404 Senior Member
    They don't make a factory 10-22 that I'd want. I'd prefer the base model and pimp it how I see fit. There's ZERO chance I'd pay for the "improved" trigger straight from Ruger. They can shove that mediocre trigger right up their ass. The standard trigger should be the "improved" model. There's plenty of better aftermarket triggers for less money. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,182 Senior Member
    edited March 5 #3
    You can pick up the 10/22 BX trigger on sale fer $49 bucks these days if you giggle it. Some joints want $75 or more. They say adj from 2.5 to 3.0 pounds.

My Ruger MPR came with their AR Elite 452 aftermarket trigger and I put one in my regular 556, much improvement. The Ar Elite 452 are over $100 bucks, but I have seen them on sale for under $100.

Yep, it would be nice if they just installed one at the factory for not much over the regular price, maybe add $25-30 bucks to the cost of the rifle.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 980 Senior Member
    edited March 5 #4
    Get a base carbine (stainless or not). If an mechanical idiot like me can build one out, anyone can. 

My baby: 

Once you get it pimped out like you want, send it to Randy at CPC for as much or as little work as you want.  His trigger job blows away the BX trigger.  

http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html
    Wow, nice 10/22 rig you got there.

Man those prices are very reasonable at that CPC place. He does stuff I never even thought about to 10/22s.

So what all did you do/have done to yours and how does it shoot?

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,519 Senior Member
    Stainless Mannlicher. 
    Like this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/752629534
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,145 Senior Member
    I had a plain one for small game hunting mainly and also plinking; not accurate as I desired for the 1st. job and fun for the 2nd., and although never did something to improve accuracy (Had a Tasco 3-9x40mm scope in it), ended up selling it for a better hunting rifle for me: A CZ-452 Trainer.

Friends of mine have the heavy-barreled Target model; more accurate than the plain 10/22 but a tad impractical for uses other than rested shooting, so not what I'd be looking for. Others bought the now discontinued Target Tactical and with bipod, scope and decent ammo (SK bulk) those rifles sure can shoot! Was surprised by their out-of-the-box performance to the point of considering getting one.

Now I own a no-frills Takedown model, intended as a roadtrip/plinking rifle; with open sights, bulk HV ammo, REALLY tightened take-down assy and avoiding pressure on the front section while resting it like in-the-field use, I can do this @ 55 yards with 3 shots of Remington Thunderbolts: 

Planning on installing a red dot sight for better target adquisition since the factory sights are FAR from my favorite; got this one and not a conventional model 'cause it was a return from a customer who just plain didn't liked it after shooting a couple of magazines in it (Bought it brand-new) and the store put a great sale price on it that I just wasn't able to resist.

If I could get one, hands down it would be some of those "Distributor's exclusive" models with the fancy full stock configuration.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,750 Senior Member
    For a general purpose ammo burner I'd get a synthetic/stainless with a reasonably priced red dot and head happily to the range to make a pile of empty brass.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 980 Senior Member
    I wanted that rifle to be as accurate as I could get it.  I had him do the full tune up and couldn’t be happier with how my Ruger shoots.  I got the stock on sale.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,890 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #10
    I bought a used one cheap. Took it apart and built this one for my daughter years ago. It's very accurate. Plus it was fun building it. 

Something on adding pictures has changed. Took my phone 2 minutes to show my own pic after it uploaded. 

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    Your problem might be the magazine.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,890 Senior Member
    SIGgal said:
    I have the basic 10/22 and hate it! I cant shoot a magazine full without a FTF. 

I've got 2 of them and they will feed anything I run through them. Some kinds are more accurate but they always fire. Like Gene said, it could be the mag.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,997 Senior Member
    Many years ago, at least 10, I bought a stainless model with the wood stock. (probably my 7th or 8th 10-22).  I slapped a scope on it and took it to the range. Started at 15 yards to get it on paper and wonder of wonders...it was perfect without touching a dial! Luck. As for accuracy, I will put 10 into two inches at 50 yards, so I'm good. 99% of the squirrels I hunt fall to a pistol anyway. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    SS3 (?) gussied his 10/22 up if I remember correctly.

Maybe he will chime in and let us know what all mods he made to his and the difference it made on target.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,196 Senior Member
    If I was going to buy one today, it would be a stainless takedown with the threaded barrel for a suppressor
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,079 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #16
    Yes those tubeloaders work great.  You should get one of those and get arrowdodger to do a trigger job on the model 60.  Or you can do your own, a couple springs from mcarbo and an adjustable paddle and it's a nice 3 lb trigger with very little play.  That's what I did on my 795.

I've tried a lot of people's 10/22 triggers, Kidd, Timenny, VQ.  The best one I have ever felt was the BX that was sent off to Brimstone for their their 3 trigger job.  That's great for a race gun but for you, a tier 1 would be great and cost less.  You just send them the trigger group.  You can the stock one as well.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Might be the way I'll go with the Marlin 60, a kit from M CARBO.
    edited March 6 #18
    SIGgal said:
    I have the basic 10/22 and hate it! I cant shoot a magazine full without a FTF. 

Take the bolt out of the gun and clean up the chamber.  They often have overspray in them.  Some fine sandpaper works.  The smoother you can get it the better.  Speeds up the bolt and makes it feed better, then coat it good with oil.  Some people polish the bolt as well using a dremel and buffing pad/polish, I've never done that.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,145 Senior Member
    Have you tried other kinds of ammo? Mine had feeding issues with Winchester 333/555 but will run smoothly with the unpopular Remington Thunderbolts.
    Was having this problem since new? Maybe as suggested above a good chamber & bolt (Check if the extractor is moving freely) cleaning and little lubricant is needed to allow the rifle to run as expected.

Ordered the M CARBO trigger job bundle and a new buffer in case mine needs it. Never had it apart to check before. Bought it in 1995/96 or so. Had many a brick of .22s fired from it.

They offer a retired/active Mil/LEO discount too. And donate $$ from your purchase to VET organizations.

cpj will be happy the "Gold Trigger" he hates will be replaced.

I'll bring it to the SE Shoot along with copious amounts of .22 lr to shoot and  will pick up a Tube Speed Loader  too.

I've poked around M Carbo website before, but never bought anything for the model 60, but having fired it my last range visit got me interested again. The one big complaint is the hard trigger pull..........gold trigger, not so much.

Then I'll see if I want to got further with mods or be fat and happy with it.

Still contemplating a 10/22......................................

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    2 years in a row youngest won a 10/22 M1 Carbine commemorative at the NEPA Youth Shoot (Year before, he won a Marlin XT-22). I have 2 standard and 1 SS heavy barrel. Not a gripe about any of them. The M1s have peep sights, which I enjoy.

Support your local Scouts!
    edited March 8 #22
    Ordered a couple Speed D 15 loaders. It will work on both my Marlins.. model 60 (14 shot) and 883 bolt .22 Mag which holds 12. I believe it will hold 11 .22 mags.

So I load the tubes with one less .22 lr and will be one round short on the magnums.   
    Mcarbo has a video on doing the trigger that's helpful

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    edited March 8 #24
    If I WAS going to buy a new 10/22, it would be a stainless takedown.  The reason I don't is that its purpose would mainly seem to be to go into a backpack for emergency survival use, but whenever I have a backpack on, it's usually hunting season, and I have something much more significant over my shoulder.  Still, that's the only model that seems to offer anything over other .22's I like better.  My pre-warning Deluxe Sporter with the Tech Sights I added gets very little play time - I like my older stuff.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    BAMAAK said:
    Mcarbo has a video on doing the trigger that's helpful
    I watched them a while back, but will definitely watch again before I attempt the mods. Maybe having the LT on the table as I work too so it will sink in my ole noggin.

roadking said:
    2 years in a row youngest won a 10/22 M1 Carbine commemorative at the NEPA Youth Shoot (Year before, he won a Marlin XT-22). I have 2 standard and 1 SS heavy barrel. Not a gripe about any of them. The M1s have peep sights, which I enjoy.

The M1 carbine style one are cool lookin.
    edited March 8 #27
    Bigslug said:
    If I WAS going to buy a new 10/22, it would be a stainless takedown.  The reason I don't is that its purpose would mainly seem to be to go into a backpack for emergency survival use, but whenever I have a backpack on, it's usually hunting season, and I have something much more significant over my shoulder.  Still, that's the only model that seems to offer anything over other .22's I like better.  My pre-warning Deluxe Sporter with the Tech Sights I added gets very little play time - I like my older stuff.
    Yep, I would maybe survive  in a SHTF situation until my heart meds ran out then it's lights out. Maybe for traveling and space in a packed vehicle or to have unnoticed carrying around in a hotel...........a TD would be beneficial. The Ruger Logo would have to be covered up if you use their case.  
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,750 Senior Member
    roadking said:

That’s he one I have.  They usually come with very nice wood!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    There's actually getting to be a fair amount of aftermarket gizmos for the Takedown (Aftermarket gizmos for a 10/22 - imagine THAT!), including more anonymous cases and stocks offering the ability to store magazines or clip the two halves together.  Maybe you could find one with a compartment for your nitroglycerin pills.  ;)

I tend to think for a true compact survival rifle, one of the super lightweight single shots based on the Winchester 67 would be the ticket.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Then there is this for the takedown...

https://ruger.com/micros/silent-sr-ISB/index.html

Internally suppressed barrel...
    Support your local Scouts!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,077 Senior Member

Recoil pads and muzzle brakes on a 22?  Geeze, guys, this should be an automatic point reduction on your man card.

But, to the OP, no more than I shoot a 22, I'll stick with my Marlin Model 60.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file