One BIG gripe about the new format...

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 4,063 Senior Member
It might be me, but.... About half the time, when I'm about 75% through reading a new thread, I get knocked out of the forum. As in back to my start screen. Not the forums start screen....MY start screen. WTH? Never happened before, and not on any other sites. Anybody else?
Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
KSU Firefighter

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    I'm on my phone. Maybe it's not just me.
    KSU Firefighter
    Twice in the last ten minutes. This is getting really old.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,704 Senior Member
    Nope, sorry buddy I’m good.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Nope, sorry buddy I’m good.
    I flag BS. Lol.
    KSU Firefighter
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,981 Senior Member
    No probs here.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Sorry brother... cruising along just fine here...  😎

I have noticed that the new Forum does use a lot more memory than the old one and if I have a buttload of apps open all at once on my phone or iPad (it happens when I forget to close them) some threads take a long time to open.  I just close all the unused apps and back to the speed of light.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,875 Senior Member
    My phone does that in a way. I get this amazon pop up that I'm some kind of winner. It won't go away or let me go back to the forum. I have to completely leave and close everything then come back to forum. Never did that on the old forum and it's the only forum I visit that does it.
    I'll take that under advisement, but please don't use the words "memory"and "old" in the same sentence again, or I'll publicly accuse you of stereotyping.
    KSU Firefighter
    Heck, I tried to quote Wambli, in my above post, and even that part was lost.
    KSU Firefighter
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,543 Senior Member
    I cant get on here with my phone period.  I get a network failure error then nothing but blank pages.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 365 Member
    My phone does that in a way. I get this amazon pop up that I'm some kind of winner. It won't go away or let me go back to the forum. I have to completely leave and close everything then come back to forum. Never did that on the old forum and it's the only forum I visit that does it.
    This is exactly what keeps happening to me too. I have to close the page and reopen it again.
    I can get on with my phone, but not for long. Are there some IT guys in the house?
    KSU Firefighter
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    I gots a acronym for 'IT' but I'll just keep it to myself. :neutral:
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    Have not had any issues yet on an iPhone or a MacBook. 
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,077 Senior Member
    I'm not having problems like you reported, Mike.  But, I am beginning to think the new forum format is an attempt to fix something that wasn't broken.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,923 Senior Member
    For the OP-------no
    I have a need for speed
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,875 Senior Member
    Here is what I'm getting. 

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,901 Senior Member
    I have lost a couple of posts while trying to edit them. I get away with one edit, and then it wipes out the post and the draft of it on the second edit. Both edits were well under the 1 hour limit.

I have also lost drafts that I attempted to save, before posting, just in case the actual post was wiped out.

I also noticed that one fairly long thread showed up with only two posts in it the next day, with my own post being one of the deleted ones. This one smelled like an administrative deletion, but could just be another undiscovered technical issue.

Either this interface is buggy, or somebody is screwing with it that has administrative permissions. I ain't senile enough, yet, to be wrong about all of this.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,901 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #20
    By the way, I saved the above, as a draft, before posting it, but it didn't save.
    I'm not having problems like you reported, Mike.  But, I am beginning to think the new forum format is an attempt to fix something that wasn't broken.
    Oh it was broken.  Weeeeeeelllllll past it's Expiration date...
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    bisley said:
     This one smelled like an administrative deletion, but could just be another undiscovered technical issue.

Either this interface is buggy, or somebody is screwing with it that has administrative permissions. I ain't senile enough, yet, to be wrong about all of this.
    I do not think "administrative permissions" are available to anyone at the moment, or if ever again, until they get that helpful man back.

I also have lost a few drafts, I put that down to me though and they were nothing earth shattering away.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    Sure would be nice if SOMEONE in control of this runaway train wreck would be kind enough to make up a How To manual explaining the features of this ill begotten mess and how to use/access them without having to drag out The Sailor's Book of Magic Words and Phrases when the frustration level peaks.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,362 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Sure would be nice if SOMEONE in control of this runaway train wreck would be kind enough to make up a How To manual explaining the features of this ill begotten mess and how to use/access them without having to drag out The Sailor's Book of Magic Words and Phrases when the frustration level peaks.
    Ain't gonna happen. Press buttons till it works. Or breaks. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Sure would be nice if SOMEONE in control of this runaway train wreck .......................

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,070 Senior Member
    I'm getting that popup too.  Very annoying.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,905 Senior Member
    Yep I've gotten that one a few times. I also really miss the taptalk support. I know many didn't care for it, but it was much cleaner on mobile than trying to use the browser. Then again G&A wouldn't get the page views for all the new ads...
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,190 Senior Member
    That "Congratulations" pop up is a known 'browser hijack', not a problem with the board:

https://howtoremove.guide/congratulations-you-won/

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,142 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #29
    The new forum is usable, I don't like it as much as the older one. I only go here on my LT, not I-Phone so there may be features others like I don't use.

With some tweaks it can get better ........time will tell.

There may be upgrades and features I haven't realized were here yet I may appreciate as time passes.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,114 Senior Member
    Oh it was broken.  Weeeeeeelllllll past it's Expiration date...
    This rendition is crazy screwed up! It's almost unusable on my desktop and it's barely usable on my tablet. I get the impression that it works ok if you have fast internet or an Apple operating system. I guess we should call it the guns and Wambli forum.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,981 Senior Member
    edited March 7 #31
    I don't really see the problem here. Yea, its glaring white - so is the rest of the Internet, and computerdom in general. I don't like it, its well known to be sub-optimal, but the whole "computer screen as paper" paradigm just won't die. So I deal with it like every other page on the 'net, and override the colors when my eyes have had enough! I'd love a large e-ink display, but I digress...

I have no problems posting, no problems editing, no problems uploading pix.

The only things I would like to see changed, but can live with if they are not:

1) Access to re-use previously uploaded pictures with a personal pix library like the old forum had.

2) Our emojis back - we REALLY need "You Suck" and a few others at the very least!

3) Off page links should open a new tab.

Aren't I the one who's supposed to hate new stuff?!?

Yea, its got the same FUGLY and crude windows-8 inspired buttons and graphics that the rest of the world has adopted because of "devices", but they're at least usable...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file