Poor Dicks....

Comments

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,021 Senior Member
    edited March 23 #32
    BAMAAK said:
    They just opened up a Rural King in Muscle Shoals AL, I've seen some of their prices and they compete pretty well with the cheapest LGS in town.  I may have to make a trip out there one day.

As far as Academy goes, I'm a fan mostly.  Yes they are corporate but they have a decent seliction and will price match anyone.  I buy my St of my .22 there but Cabela's prices have come down on .22s, mostly even now.
    Rural King is where it's at. The one that opened 2 years ago near me is a gold mine. Hard to find a parking spot. The gun counter is usually 2-3 deep. Usually have to wait longer to get the background check rolling than it takes to actually do the check. And they have 4 stations set up.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 521 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Thanx! I didn't know about either, just the Palm Bay Bass Pro. I'm going to be down towards Indialantic in the next couple of weeks, I'll jog over to 95 and find that Academy. I'm sure I'll at least come home with some ammo - while seeing what they're all about.

Same exit as Bass Pro but on the Northwest side of I-95 next to Target.  I buy nearly all of my ammo at Academy, I can buy it off the shelf as cheap as anywhere I have seen it online.  Except for 12 gauge buckshot they consistently beat Walmart's prices.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,548 Senior Member
    Hmmmm...................Just checked and there's a Rural King store that has opened up in Sweetwater, TN. Might have to go peruse the place tomorrow. They bound to have something I can't live without! :smile:
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,923 Senior Member
    Wished we had one or both Academy and Rural King around here we have Scheels 55 miles away and local is Hardware Hanks. The closest Cabelas is 2 1/2 hours away. There is a gun shop in Devils lake but really unimpressed with it. I guess I need to start looking for other gun shops around here but still closest one will be about an hour away.
    edited March 24 #36
    tennmike said:
    Hmmmm...................Just checked and there's a Rural King store that has opened up in Sweetwater, TN. Might have to go peruse the place tomorrow. They bound to have something I can't live without! :smile:
    Rural King also sells online with $10 shipping....

https://www.rkguns.com/
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,381 Senior Member

Same exit as Bass Pro but on the Northwest side of I-95 next to Target.  I buy nearly all of my ammo at Academy, I can buy it off the shelf as cheap as anywhere I have seen it online.  Except for 12 gauge buckshot they consistently beat Walmart's prices.
    I don't think I've been out that way, just on the SE corner where Bass Pro is. Thanx a bunch! I'm still finding my way around here - heck, I just found a "back way" to get to my local CVS!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,794 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    In that article they claim that Dicks has no direct competition. They must consider Academy insignificant.
    Academy isn't in most of the country. Seems to me firearms are actually not a huge part of their business anywhere I've ever lived including phoenix. Much more focus on high school team sports and golf plus stuff like fishing and camping. If I had to guess I'd say everything firearms and hunting is less than 5% of revenue. Stuff like ARs don't even register. They probably sell more in candy at the checkout line. 
    Contrary to what you think, the world does not revolve around the DC area.

When Academy came into a town near me, it turned Gander Mountain into a ghost town. Within a couple of years, they expanded to meet the local market, by selling hand loading supplies and equipment and AR-15's and SD type shotguns and handguns, as well as the best prices around on other medium quality firearms and accessories. When they opened, fishing gear and bow-hunting were the biggest section. Not so, any more. The guns, hunting, and camping sections are many times larger, now. They have adjusted to fit the local market, and avoided making political statements, thus far. Outdoor equipment takes up nearly half of the store, although sports type clothing and shoes are still big, as well as gym equipment, etc.
    See clarification above, was talking about Dick's but obviously wans't clear. Also not just DC. No Academy in Ohio, AZ, MD, and I don't remember seeing them in CO
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Michakav said:
    tennmike said:

I went to see where the store was, and what they had. They took over the old Kmart store in Sweetwater. Good selection of stuff. I spent a little and walked the store down pretty good. I'll be going back; they had a lot of things I use at better prices than the Farmer's Co-op and Tractor Supply.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

tennmike said:
    Michakav said:
    tennmike said:

I went to see where the store was, and what they had. They took over the old Kmart store in Sweetwater. Good selection of stuff. I spent a little and walked the store down pretty good. I'll be going back; they had a lot of things I use at better prices than the Farmer's Co-op and Tractor Supply.
    I figured you would be happy. They have a large chunk of Tractor Supply's business here. Have also cut into auto parts stores with cheap batteries and accessories. Clothing stores with cheap and durable work clothes....etc
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,095 Senior Member
    I’ve cost Dick’s a lot of money over the years.  I wait til after season clearances happen and clear a shelf of below cost clearance ammo or buy out their entire inventory of certain lures.  I’ve also bought rods and reels from them for pennies on the dollar after the season.  They really have no guns I’m interested in so no sweat of my brow. But between their sales and their “rewards” money, I’m one of the reasons they are doing like 💩
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Michakav said:
    tennmike said:
    Michakav said:
    tennmike said:

I figured you would be happy. They have a large chunk of Tractor Supply's business here. Have also cut into auto parts stores with cheap batteries and accessories. Clothing stores with cheap and durable work clothes....etc
    They have a 30 gallon barrel of brush killer herbicide for a good price. I'll be getting a barrel this summer to do some 'scorched earth' treatment of fence lines and such. And they have 50 gallon sprayers with spray bar that are WAY cheaper than anywhere else, and I need a new one.

• Green Mtn. BoyGreen Mtn. Boy New Member Posts: 34 Member
     Prediction,Dick's will be gone by April first of 2019.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,217 Senior Member
    RK beats tractor supply on a lot of stuff, however they are more of a rural store than a farm store. Today I went to RK and bought some stuff, hardware and feed, but the didnt have any salt, triple 10, or lime. Went to TSC. You have to watch the prices on the Chineseium that RK sells just like TSC.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,978 Senior Member
    Academy started here in Austin as an army-navy surplus store.  They wisely moved those headquarters out when the city of Austin started getting too crazy to deal with.  I like academy well enough, but they mostly carry mid-low range equipment.   Except reloading stuff. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,875 Senior Member
    In that article they claim that Dicks has no direct competition. They must consider Academy insignificant.
    About 610 Dick's.  Only ~225 Academy Sports in only 16 states.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,278 Senior Member

On this mornings TV news it was reported that DSG has announced that rather than returning the ARs they removed from their store shelves in March to the distributors and manufacturers for credit they will destroy them and recycle the pieces!  I discovered this "news" article. I find it interesting that the rifles are identified as "Assault Rifles"! Is this continuing reporter ignorance or because "Assault Rifle" and "Weapons of War" is much scarier than "Assault style rifles"? The TV report also showed (for 1/2 second) what appeared to be a sign next to a DSG stores entrance requiring customers to check their guns at the gun and ammo sales counter. If this is DSG's political policy choice. Why don't they get out of the gun and ammunition sales business entirely?

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/dicks_sporting_goods_destroyin.html

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,555 Senior Member
    Uhm....

I know Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain (when they were open,) and a few local guns shops all have or had signs to that effect.  Dick's sign (along with the others) further states that concealed firearms carries are excluded.

LGS workers told me that more than a few folks who brought firearms in for either sale or work to be done... had loaded firearms.  Some with safety off. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,278 Senior Member
    Uhm....

I know Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain (when they were open,) and a few local guns shops all have or had signs to that effect.  Dick's sign (along with the others) further states that concealed firearms carries are excluded.

LGS workers told me that more than a few folks who brought firearms in for either sale or work to be done... had loaded firearms.  Some with safety off. 

Thanks. I was not able to read the entire sign in 1/2 second.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,461 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Michakav said:
    tennmike said:

Keep an eye on their ads. Their regular prices are good, but they firearms on sale quite often.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 849 Senior Member
    We have a Rural King in Columbus, IN. and they have good prices on firearms and ammo. Rural King is a large chain in Indiana. They sell everything.
    I never buy anything at Dicks, never find anything and prices higher than other places I shop.
    Dick's has announced that the ARs they took off the shelves and the ones in their warehouses will be destroyed and the metals recycled. They've gone completely off their rockers.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,095 Senior Member
    edited April 20 #53
    tennmike said:
    Dick's has announced that the ARs they took off the shelves and the ones in their warehouses will be destroyed and the metals recycled. They've gone completely off their rockers.
    Oh Lord no, they are targeting their new demographic.  They are appealing to the masses of women in their store buying Yoga pants which they now stock by the billions.  Actually it's just about every rack in the store nowadays.

All the guys I see in their stores are either in the outdoor section, and only there waiting for their wives to finish trying on a cart full of stretch pants, or guys buying cleats for little league/soccer for their kids.

Of course when they finish their transition to their new demographic they WILL have to change their name  B)
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,599 Senior Member

Of course when they finish their transition to their new demographic they WILL have to change their name  B)
    To, vajayjays??
    or name themselves after the movie ****-n-boots?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,599 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

To, vajayjays??
    or name themselves after the movie ****-n-boots?
    really? the word for a cat (without the "Y") or pronounced differently, the name of the putrid stuff that comes out of an infected wound is banned. The Movie name I referenced is a kid's movie for pete's sake
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    Oh for Christ's sake....the autocensor is still unhinged.....I still think we need to ban the thing....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I bet they try to write off the destroyed rifles on their taxes next year so they don't lose anything. That would be a case of 'having your cake and eating it, too'.

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,794 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Oh Lord no, they are targeting their new demographic.  They are appealing to the masses of women in their store buying Yoga pants which they now stock by the billions.  Actually it's just about every rack in the store nowadays.

All the guys I see in their stores are either in the outdoor section, and only there waiting for their wives to finish trying on a cart full of stretch pants, or guys buying cleats for little league/soccer for their kids.

Prediction,Dick's will be gone by April first of 2019.
    Pretty much the point I was trying to make earlier and flubbed. They aren't much of an outdoor store. Their target customers are upper middle class suburban families. Their golf section is 3x the size of their outdoor section. Golf, Yoga, Lacross, and high school sports gear, plus home gym equipment people will never use is the vast majority of their business. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,970 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    Academy isn't in most of the country. Seems to me firearms are actually not a huge part of their business anywhere I've ever lived including phoenix. Much more focus on high school team sports and golf plus stuff like fishing and camping. If I had to guess I'd say everything firearms and hunting is less than 5% of revenue. Stuff like ARs don't even register. They probably sell more in candy at the checkout line. 
    Contrary to what you think, the world does not revolve around the DC area.

When Academy came into a town near me, it turned Gander Mountain into a ghost town. Within a couple of years, they expanded to meet the local market, by selling hand loading supplies and equipment and AR-15's and SD type shotguns and handguns, as well as the best prices around on other medium quality firearms and accessories. When they opened, fishing gear and bow-hunting were the biggest section. Not so, any more. The guns, hunting, and camping sections are many times larger, now. They have adjusted to fit the local market, and avoided making political statements, thus far. Outdoor equipment takes up nearly half of the store, although sports type clothing and shoes are still big, as well as gym equipment, etc.
    See clarification above, was talking about Dick's but obviously wans't clear. Also not just DC. No Academy in Ohio, AZ, MD, and I don't remember seeing them in CO

No Academy in Wyoming to the best of my knowledge.  LGS mostly, nearest Cabelas are hundreds of miles away.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,923 Senior Member
    Finally got to Academy in Fort Smith and it's all right but like Scheels better. They do have a better boat section, gun prices wern't all that good and thought ammo was a little high. Nothing on sale when I was over there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file