Off-The-Wall Ideas about school safety

13»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,550 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    tennmike said:
    Speaking of 'less than lethal' methods, there IS a new 12 gauge round that shoots a self contained Taser round. . .

Also like the dog angle. . .

The ballistic shields and spears sounds good, too. 
    Taser 12 gauge. . .they quit making them - too much expense for both the round and the gun (a modified Mossberg as I recall) was tweaked so as to be incapable of loading a lethal round.  The accountants at whatever entity they were trying to sell to probably had strokes at the sight of the price tags.

Dogs and spears. . .you DO understand that the current climate will get you suspended if you forget to take the micro-sized Swiss Army knife that's too small to skin a field mouse out of your pocket before coming to school, and that we've replaced concrete, gravel, and bark with rubber as a playground surface to prevent lawsuits from skinned knees?

I'm with you, but we need a course in "Introduction to Reality 101" first.
    Welcome to my NEW REALITY. The taser round could be remanufactured to fit ANY 12 gauge shotgun. Just don't have anyone carrying mixed taser and buckshot rounds. That's a no brainer for the brainless that would prevent 'accidents'.
    Spears and ballistic shields could be stored in secure lockers in classrooms. Same for the archery equipment.

I STILL like hiring veterans that actually saw combat experience in the sandbox. They would have the skills at being able to pick out anyone acting 'hinky' and watch them. They would also be more certain to run to the sound of gunfire and take care of business. Have them at the school entrances, too.

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,979 Senior Member
    started
    tennmike said:
    Bigslug said:
    tennmike said:
    Speaking of 'less than lethal' methods, there IS a new 12 gauge round that shoots a self contained Taser round. . .

Also like the dog angle. . .

The ballistic shields and spears sounds good, too. 
    Taser 12 gauge. . .they quit making them - too much expense for both the round and the gun (a modified Mossberg as I recall) was tweaked so as to be incapable of loading a lethal round.  The accountants at whatever entity they were trying to sell to probably had strokes at the sight of the price tags.

Dogs and spears. . .you DO understand that the current climate will get you suspended if you forget to take the micro-sized Swiss Army knife that's too small to skin a field mouse out of your pocket before coming to school, and that we've replaced concrete, gravel, and bark with rubber as a playground surface to prevent lawsuits from skinned knees?

I'm with you, but we need a course in "Introduction to Reality 101" first.
    Welcome to my NEW REALITY. The taser round could be remanufactured to fit ANY 12 gauge shotgun. Just don't have anyone carrying mixed taser and buckshot rounds. That's a no brainer for the brainless that would prevent 'accidents'.
    Spears and ballistic shields could be stored in secure lockers in classrooms. Same for the archery equipment.

I STILL like hiring veterans that actually saw combat experience in the sandbox. They would have the skills at being able to pick out anyone acting 'hinky' and watch them. They would also be more certain to run to the sound of gunfire and take care of business. Have them at the school entrances, too.

I like it, too, but we have to remember that most schools will never need them, which means that the administrators, as well as the guards would soon become bored with a job where there was never any demand for what they were hired to do. They have to have a useful function other than security, to be practical.

This why some of the teachers have to be part of the security plan. Those ex-military people who are willing to serve as teachers, too, would be great. But, once the furor subsides, their bosses are going to be looking for odd jobs for them to do.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,998 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Why is education a function of the government and state? Amend the state constitutions and dissolve the school systems. Place the onus on the parents for the education of their children. No schools, No school shootings.
    Surely you know why the public education system was created?

Depends on where you start the story. I know about the Puritan establishment of schools so that children could read the Bible. I also know that the first Tax Payer funded school System was started in the South during the Reconstruction Era.

But if folks think the 2a is outdated, then surely in this day and age Public Schools are too. The amount of information available to people is astounding. They don't need to attend school to learn things.

Shane, I see your point, however, without structured learning important subject matter will be overlooked. Just because the information is out there doesn't mean everyone or even just a simple majority will find it.

Structured education has its place. The problem is it depends on who has the handle on what that structure consists of. We as a citizenry failed to keep up with what was going on and let the left have their way with what they were teaching our kids. Now we have a situation akin to what happened in Nazi Germany before and during the war, with kids turning their parents over to the Nazi authorities for any infraction of the Nazi's brutal rules. No our kids arent selling us out to the authorities, but they will later sell us out at the polls. We screwed the pooch. We didn't pay attention. Life got in the way. We took our eyes off the ball. Now without some divine miracle I fear we may pay the price for our lack of attention to detail.

As for stopping the shootings, that's a no brainer. Arm someone, teacher, security officer, resource officer (Whatever you want to call him), school nurse, Janitor! Just arm someone that will be capable of dealing with a shooter situation and has the skills to take down a perp or two.

My suggestion was more in Gest and Satire than to be taken seriously. Advocates against the 2A say it is outdated and doesn't apply. I would tell them the basis of why we have public schools is outdated also. It also seems that more and more our public school system is failing to educate.

I am 100% for schools. But, I believe we have lost our course in how, why, and what to educate the American Youth on. The proper education of the American Youth is just as important to National Security as a large standing volunteer army.

Hey Centermass, I'm with you buddy, 100%!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,114 Senior Member
    Having been knocked practically senseless more than a time or two by "artillery simulators" pitched over open ground, I'm kind of liking flash-bangs as a primary defense. Tossed down a school hallway they'd be pretty effective at causing a "pause", allowing better armed individuals to properly solve the problem. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,550 Senior Member
    The artillery simulators would be LOUD in an enclosed space like a hallway. They would definitely leave a ringing in your ears if you were close enough to it, and the cloud of smoke would reduce visibility considerably.
    Speaking of reducing visibility, Purple K fire extinguishers would be good for that purpose. That stuff hangs in the air, breathing it in isn't comfortable, and the stuff makes your eyes water like crazy.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,854 Senior Member
    Same effect occurs with any dry chemical extinguisher....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,114 Senior Member
    I really am liking the flash bangs as a primary defense. Hadn't thought of it before, but two or three tossed down a tiled and brick hallway will give you pause for cause. I'm speaking from intimate experience. They work on open ground. In a tiled hallway, within 20 feet, you wouldn't know your mother from Mother Goose for a few seconds anyway. Then toss a CS grenade along the same path. Or two. The students you saved can sue you later. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
13»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file