Deer Head vs. .50cal BMG

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 18,968 Senior Member
Keith Warren is full of crap!

A time ago, someone posted a video of Keith Warren supposedly missing a deer’s head at 100 yards with a .50cal 750gr A-Max bulletand the “concussion” of the bullet passing her head.......”sucked” the eyeballs out of the socket. 

I froze the the head of my last deer this season. Thawed it out on Tuesday and had it ready to shoot on Wednesday.

Did some work to the McMillan Tac-50 on Tuesday so I needed to re-zero the gun Wednesday morning. 

It grouped about 1” at 100 yards with the 750gr A-Max..........which tickles me PINK from a BEAST of a rifle with a heavy trigger that kicks like a mule!!!

I let a friend do the honors of shooting the head so that I could video down range. I told him to use the plaster by the head as a reference but to hit as close to the eyes as possible without hitting the head. 

He he performed PERFECTLY!!!  That boy CUT hairs off her eyebrows!!!  The head didn’t even move!  

Keith Warren is a clown. 

Next I told him to hit her at the base of the jaw through the most bone in her head and see if we could “blow” the head up. 

Here you you can see the shot by the eyes that cut hair and the eyeballs are still in the head. To the right of the eye, you can see the entrance of the second shot through the jaw. 

Exit through the jaw. 

Finally, I told him to try and put it through her eye. So, he put the round through her eyelid!!!!  And the eyeball stayed in place!!!

Here is the Exit first (because the forum decided to download it that way and the Entrance (through the eyelid) second. 

So, we put ONE .50cal round past her head and couldn’t suck out the eyeballs. Then, TWO .50cal rounds THROUGH her head and couldn’t even BLOw them out!!

Consequently, my eyeballs are still in tack as well. 

Folks, it’s essentially a ball round (non-expanding) that poked a hole through the head like any other ball round would. I myself have shot deer in the head with non-expanding rounds and they look the same as this one. But, put a soft/frangible/expanding round through a head and things will come apart quickly. 

Disclaimer:  I know that a live (sealed) head responds somewhat differently than a “dead” one. But, not THAT much differently. 

We finished off shooting 1,400 yards with the .50 BMG. And, I had a screaming headache by the end of the day. 

They just aren’t fun to put a bunch of rounds through. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Comments

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,918 Senior Member

Stupid huge pics that take forever to load- - - - - -not worth the effort to try to view them!

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,968 Senior Member
    Teach said:

Stupid huge pics that take forever to load- - - - - -not worth the effort to try to view them!

Jerry

No loss coming from you. 
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,967 Senior Member
    I really thought that the hits to the head would have done a little more damage than that. I've seen quite a few pics of bodies and livestock hit by .50's in Vietnam and while not catastrophic, there were golfball to baseball sized holes in most of the things hit.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    You forgot the party hat....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    You forgot the party hat....
    Oops. My bad. 

Next time. 

😁
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,766 Senior Member
    Like I said on the other thread, I think what happened to that other guy was a fluke shot that went in one eye and out the other. I believe that your research reinforces that.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,380 Senior Member
    Science!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    I have video as well, but it’s really not worth uploading to YouTube because............nothing..........happened.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,708 Senior Member
    Well, that was rather disappointing.
    I knew the miss would yield the results it did, but figured a direct hit would have made it splode. Keith Warren is an idiot or a liar. One of the two. 
    And the pics DO need to be automatically resized by the forum software. Ginormous pics arent needed, and take forever to load. But since the powers that be don't have average internet service, that won't change. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,918 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with the photography- - - -it's excellent, as usual.  Incompetent fools who can't manage to make the forum software resize a photo where it can be viewed without scrolling, however- - - - -that's a different matter!
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Yeah, that’s above my pay grade.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 500 Member
    I don't know Kieth Warren. Well the importance of his foolishness may indeed be noteworthy, the safety of our fury friends of the field pantry and their precious eyes should not be over looked.👀
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    I really didn't expect anything different but I did want to see the floating deer head with a party hat.

That Warren guy did succeed at one thing.......................Youtube hits.

His BS explanations can use a little work though.
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,648 Senior Member
    Has the problem been fixed--------I don't see any thing wrong with the PICs
    My new Signature
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I'm glad you did this Zee. You proved a point. And no Mr. NN I set here forever waiting on them to load because I wanted to see them.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 5,967 Senior Member
    .................... And no Mr. NN I set here forever waiting on them to load because I wanted to see them.
    Don't lose your head over it.

cjp wrote: »

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »

...But seriously Shush....

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,555 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Has the problem been fixed--------I don't see any thing wrong with the PICs
    Nothing wrong with the pics.  Just

Real.

Slooooowww...

To

Load.

And I'm on a desktop running standard internet. 

Oh, and if anyone's wondering, here's the original thread Zee referenced.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/35677/hard-to-believe-deer-shot/p1

Overkill is underrated.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,693 Senior Member
    No surprises here.
    But seeing someone actually do it-Cool
    Nice Rifle...I don't want/need something like that.
    Oh, Nice Rear Bag too :wink:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,976 Senior Member
    They loaded fine on my iPad.  Part of the problem with pics is that the OLD forum would not let you upload huge pics.  This one will... be kind, re-size

you should have taken the mythbusters approach and done something to replicate the myth...  involving tannerite. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    They loaded fine on my iPad.  Part of the problem with pics is that the OLD forum would not let you upload huge pics.  This one will... be kind, re-size

you should have taken the mythbusters approach and done something to replicate the myth...  involving tannerite. 
    No. My pics are loaded via my phone. I'm not resizing a damn thing.  Not when the forum software can/should do it automagically. 

Yes. Yes to tannerite. 
    Zee
    You guys gotta come up with these ideas BEFORE!! I already chunked the head into the brush!!
    cpj said:

No. My pics are loaded via my phone. I'm not resizing a damn thing.  Not when the forum software can/should do it automagically. 
    Yeah, I uploaded these pics from my phone as well. Ain’t no way to resize them that I’m aware of. But, I ain’t tech savvy. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,380 Senior Member
    I could make a snarky comment about fones, but I won't because I like Zee's large pix. A lot of them get saved to my hard drive, and are in my desktop wall paper rotation. Big pix work best as I have large monitors - his firearms pix are works of art in their own right!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    zorba said:
    I could make a snarky comment about fones, but I won't because I like Zee's large pix. A lot of them get saved to my hard drive, and are in my desktop wall paper rotation. Big pix work best as I have large monitors - his firearms pix are works of art in their own right!
    Has ZERO to do with screen size. It has everything to do with FILE size. Once loaded, pics show up fine on my
    phone. Once loaded....
    Zee
    cpj said:
    zorba said:
    Has ZERO to do with screen size. It has everything to do with FILE size. Once loaded, pics show up fine on my
    phone. Once loaded....

So, it’s not the size............it’s how you use it?
    Zee
    **** it. 
    Zee
    Only takes three times of trying to make a post. 
    Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,597 Senior Member
    This is GOOD intel!  When my sinuses get inflamed with allergies or a head cold, almost ANY concept to clear them out can sound like a good idea - including using the vacuum caused by a close pass from a .50 BMG to suck out the goo.

Now I that I KNOW this idea is off the table, I'll probably just stick to Afrin and Sudafed.   :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,021 Senior Member
    Cool experiment! Photos were all there immediately for me. No loading required.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file