Next project...... looks like an easy one

WeatherbyWeatherby Senior MemberPosts: 4,366 Senior Member
Another of those tube fed bolt action . 22's
This one is a J Stevens from the early 30's
A 66B Buckhorn
The metal wasn't too bad and the wood damage isn't deep.
The peep sight is kind of neat as it has 3 settings.....I haven't shot much with peep sights that I recall.
Not sure what I'll do with the black tip on it.....AL?

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    I think your only "project" there is to find a box of rounds and shoot it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 683 Senior Member
    It's kind of funny how the finish on the metal is so good well the stock looks chewed.

Can the cocking piece be actuated without bolt manipulation in case of failure to fire?
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,366 Senior Member
    edited March 30 #4
    It can Mike like the old single shot plunger guns.
    I have all the old finish off already.
    The wood wasn't all that chewed a couple bad spots mainly what you see is just areas where the finish was deteriorating.

I Like the bolts on these old guns......they are huge.
    extraction shouldn't be a problem either

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    A lot of those old peeps can be worth more than the rifle. Is the tip wood or plastic? Either way, it won't hurt to sand it along with the wood, I always leave butt plates and grips caps on when I refinish, so you maintain a perfect fit.

Nice find!!
    Al its wood that looks like it was painted.
    edited March 30 #7
    Al its wood that looks like it was painted.
    The walnut is very light after removing the finish.
    I think i'd like to redo the black tip it would make for a nice contrast and upset CPJ
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    edited March 30 #8
    Watch OUT! Duck and Run before it's too late. When wood looks easy it can be ten miles deep in alligators! Actually whatever, it will be worth any effort required. I do love old tube fed .22s. I've got one and it is a shooter. Only problem some of the older ones, like mine, are difficult to scope and my old eyes require a scope.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Many are difficult to scope and I won't do it to them anyway.
    This I'm fixing up....shooting.....Then picking a new home for it.
    I Have a candidate in mind already.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,118 Senior Member
    Sure. Leave the tip. And just the tip. The world already has plenty of
    tasteful guns. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Watch OUT! Duck and Run before it's too late. When wood looks easy it can be ten miles deep in alligators!

I had my glasses on and checked the water before diving in.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 683 Senior Member
    edited March 30 #12
    Wow!
    Wood like that on a utility grade rifle today would be hard to impossible to come by.

The cocking piece is even knurled.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    It's probably a piece of birch, very common and serviceable stock wood and it can be pretty. If the tip is just painted on, you won't miss it!
    It looks good!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,927 Senior Member
    That's another good looking rescue. The wood looks good with that new finish. Should be a fine shooter, too!
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

A lot of those old peeps can be worth more than the rifle

I looked it up and it's a Stevens # 105 and yes apparently I bought a sight today.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,944 Senior Member
    That looks the same as a Stevens I refinished, sold it to a guy that wanted a 22 for his wife. Wasn't planing on selling it but with her reaction I couldn't say no.
    tennmike said:
    That's another good looking rescue. The wood looks good with that new finish. Should be a fine shooter, too!

Thanks Mike I'm still working on it and not sure if I'll darken it some before I finish.
    I still think it's Walnut....just very lite color
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,435 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    A lot of those old peeps can be worth more than the rifle

I looked it up and it's a Stevens # 105 and yes apparently I bought a sight today.
    I’ve bought many an old .22 for a song just so I could get my hands on the sights that were on them.  The best one was a REALLY used Mossberg in semi functioning shape with a pretty much MINT Vaver sight that is now worth a lot of money.  The gun went to parts, the sight is waiting for something good to put it on.  I still have a few Mossberg, Lyman and Redfield vintage peep sights somewhere in a box in my garage.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    I love 22 projects. I've done a ton of them through the years and like you, give them away. I have been kind of fond of the blond look. Everybody has a rifle with a dark stock but a lighter stock done well is just ... different. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Freezer I've been back and forth on it and agree with you.it will stay as a blonde.
    I'm up awful early so time to sand again.
    I wouldn't darken that stock,either. It has some really decent looking grain to it and darkening would hide that. That grain has good character!

The two old Bingham Squires .22 rifles I'm STILL working on have some interesting grain to the stocks. I stripped them and sanded them and then finished them with just oil finish. The 'conventionally' stocked one turned a really nice reddish brown and the interesting wood grain really 'popped' on it. It would have been hidden if I'd darkened it.

The 'faux AR 15' looking one  ended up being a lighter shade of brown, and has some really strange grain structure showing in it. It would have been hidden, too, if I'd darkened the finish. That rifle has been giving me fits as parts are hard to come by, so I'm having to improvise a LOT on the magazine release and magazine well. Hope I get both finished soon.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    I wouldn't darken that stock,either. It has some really decent looking grain to it and darkening would hide that. That grain has good character!

The two old Bingham Squires .22 rifles I'm STILL working on have some interesting grain to the stocks. I stripped them and sanded them and then finished them with just oil finish. The 'conventionally' stocked one turned a really nice reddish brown and the interesting wood grain really 'popped' on it. It would have been hidden if I'd darkened it.

The 'faux AR 15' looking one  ended up being a lighter shade of brown, and has some really strange grain structure showing in it. It would have been hidden, too, if I'd darkened the finish. That rifle has been giving me fits as parts are hard to come by, so I'm having to improvise a LOT on the magazine release and magazine well. Hope I get both finished soon.
    If only there was a one stop shop that had every gun part ever made. Ok I drifted off a bit there !  ( would be nice )
    Old Ron said:
    If only there was a one stop shop that had every gun part ever made. Ok I drifted off a bit there !  ( would be nice )
    Finally got that magazine catch finished today. Many vile words were said. It works, though. Now I gotta work on the other bits that are  missing or need work.

The metal could still use some attention.
    The black fore end is gone now.
    The stock I'm happy with at this point.
    Need to see how or if it shoots now.
    I can actually see pretty good using the peep sight which with deteriorating eyesight I'm very happy about.
    It was an easy project which is what I need to stick with I Can't fix or fabricate things like tennmike.or turn wood to glass like big Al..About all I can do is try to polish what I think may be a diamond in the rough.
    It should make someone a gun to be happy with after I soil it of course.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    Now that is a really nice looking rifle !
    You guys get these guns so fast & look so great & I am just putting along with mine.
    Thanks Ron but there wasn't much to doing this one.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,834 Senior Member
    Looking FABULOUS!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,435 Senior Member
    That’s a good looking rifle.  Will make someone really happy and proud to own it.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    That is one beautiful little .22! Anyone that shoots would love that little gem! You really, REALLY need to take it out and shoot some different ammo through it to see what it likes. I bet it will turn out to be a tackdriver.

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 640 Senior Member
    edited April 1 #30
    That looks real good, I must try something like this one day, if I made 1/2 as good a job I'd be pretty happy I reckon.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    tennmike said:
    That is one beautiful little .22! Anyone that shoots would love that little gem! You really, REALLY need to take it out and shoot some different ammo through it to see what it likes. I bet it will turn out to be a tackdriver.

I'm with you on that.
    A few aspects of it I didn't go into or show was one the barrel is 24" and everything is marked patent pending both sights and the barrel are all marked that.

Sorry about the quality of the picture but the front sight is some sort of flat post that should work well with the peep.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file