End of trapping season

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,079 Senior Member
One last beaver 

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Comments

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,072 Senior Member
    Guess I can say this here without getting slapped ......" now that is a nice looking beaver "
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Trapping season's over??? Seems like it just started. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,540 Senior Member
    Did you get it stuffed??
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,079 Senior Member
    Trapping season's over??? Seems like it just started. Mike

We thought we'd be hitting it early this year, but we had a week of sub zero temps mid February. Everything froze solid and didn't melt until mid March. We only water trapped for less than three weeks. 

Ayn Rand
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,468 Senior Member
    Looks like a big one.
    Trapping is falling out of favor here in my area of TN. Plenty of animals to trap but hard to get permission to do so. Kind of like hunting. The two guys that normally trap on my farm didn't show up this year, and not because they weren't welcome. One traps coyotes exclusively and the other traps muskrat, mink, otter, and beaver.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,079 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Looks like a big one.
    Trapping is falling out of favor here in my area of TN. Plenty of animals to trap but hard to get permission to do so. Kind of like hunting. The two guys that normally trap on my farm didn't show up this year, and not because they weren't welcome. One traps coyotes exclusively and the other traps muskrat, mink, otter, and beaver.

Fur prices are way down compared to a few years ago. If money is the motivation, it's not worth it currently. We consider it a hobby, with an opportunity to make some cash. We haven't sold much raw fur the last couple years, so the kid makes garments. A large raw beaver hide sells for $10, but a beaver bomber hat sells for $200 and requires only one beaver to make. After tanning, materials, and labor (assume $25/hr X2)  he makes about $80 per hat. 

Ayn Rand
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,652 Senior Member
    "Me too! Cause mines big as a hat!"
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Nevermiss1Nevermiss1 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Happy trapping..Beaver is okay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file