Question for all southeast residents except for Florida

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 6,437 Senior Member
edited April 3 in Personal Defense #1
Since the shooting in the Parkland High School there have been a few changes in the Florida gun laws regarding rifles. Nothing that affects me but I was wondering if since I will be carrying my AR and a few handguns and ammunition to the shoot, and be traveling through Alabama and Tennessee on the way up there, and through Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia on the way back to Florida, have any of these states changed their gun laws that would affect me, being from Florida? I will also be traveling with a handgun on my motorcycle through Virginia and Kentucky while staying in Johnson City, TN.
Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,926 Senior Member
    Not NC; but, it might be a good exercise to review Handgunlaw.us before you go.
    I have a need for speed
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    Simple..... don't drive in such a manner that will result in a traffic stop...Federal law allows you to travel with cased firearms virtually anywhere(right now at any rate).
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,462 Senior Member
    No changes in GA.  If you put your AR in the trunk, no one will know you have one.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,462 Senior Member
    Addition: basically, your car is like your home so far as search and seizure is concerned.  The only basic difference is a car is mobile, which means an officer doesn't have to get a written warrant so long as he has Probably Cause.  If he can't see it, it's not PC unless you tell him you have a gun in the trunk.  Even then, I doubt there's any reason to search a vehicle unless a robbery has been committed in a vehicle that is identical to yours.  Don't ask, don't tell.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    Having driven across the states many times, sometimes with 70 or 80 guns and ammo and never had any problem all i can tell you is drive safely and normally, dont do anything that would draw attention to yourself, keep all the guns in locked cases, bolts open, mags removed, all ammo in a separate case, the only other thing i do is put a tywrap thru the actions of all the guns, lastly carry your bill of sales with you.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,071 Senior Member
    No problems in AL, just don't load the long guns.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,244 Senior Member
    Only thing that pops into my head is no OCing in SC ... keep it covered.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,437 Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will be driving a pickup truck and hauling a motorcycle trailer with a bike on it, so I don't see myself violating traffic laws other than maybe driving 5 mph over the limit like I usually do. Since I can't put anything in a trunk I don't have, that will be out, but I can cover the firearms related stuff under other things I will be bringing. I have a canvas Tonnau cover over the bed, but there won't be any room for guns there, as I will have that area filled with other stuff. I never carry the AR in a loaded condition while driving and generally the only handgun that will be loaded is the one I carry on my hip, concealed in a "Sneaky Pete" holster. I guess based on the comments, I should be good to go for the trip and back.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file