WSM?

Johnny rebJohnny reb MemberPosts: 382 Member
Ive got a model 70 in 300wsm. I'm going to have rebarelled and restocked. Should I keep its 300 wsm or go 7mmwsm. 

Comments

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,029 Senior Member
    I currently have a .300 WSM and I used to have a 7mmWSM.  Both are great rounds!  That’s a coin toss.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    Personally, I would find more use from a 7mm WSM. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    There is a used one at my LGS I have been eyeing. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,685 Senior Member
    edited April 4 #5
    Life's in my way right now, but I would love to get one and rebarrel it in .270. There, that should get the apple cart rolling!!!

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 923 Senior Member
    Ive got a model 70 in 300wsm. I'm going to have rebarelled and restocked. Should I keep its 300 wsm or go 7mmwsm. 
    Confused?  Why would you rebarrel a rifle in the same caliber?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,530 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Life's in my way right now, but I would love to get one and rebarrel it in .270. There, that should get the apple cart rolling!!!

Sorta like trading a Corvette in for a pedal car..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    snake284 said:

Sorta like trading a Corvette in for a pedal car..
    Yeah, but it's got some bad ass pedals.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 5,998 Senior Member

Either choice, short and fat is where it's at.  At least that's what I tell my wife.

What's the intended use?

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited April 4 #10
    I was one that was slow to get on the band wagon with the Short Mag Concept. But I finally have begun to see the light. They have the same thing going for them that the .308/7.62x51 does. Like Jerry put it, short and fat, even powder burning. And it's got a lot of powder capacity for a short fat cartridge. And last but not least, in a short action, equaling a lighter rifle. What's not to love?

If I end up getting one, it will be a Remington 700. I'll put in a Timney trigger and see if my gun smith can put on one of those aftermarket safeties that actually blocks the firing pin. Then I'll screw on a 28" .277 Stainless Krieger Barrel with a semi heavy contour in a 1 in 8 twist. I will try to shoot the heavys such as 170-175 grain bullets. This will be my attempt at a long range rifle in my favorite caliber.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 382 Member
    Uncle fester the reason I’m  rebarreling even keeping the same caliber. I’m going to have the barrel removed and the action trued. I’ve got an D’Arcy Echols stock I’m going to have installed along with a new barrel. It will be a semi-custom. The rifle will be used for hunting and ringing steel out to 1000 yards. I’m wanting to do an ibex hunt in kyrgzstan in the next couple years. This may be a rifle I take or not who knows. Thanks for the reply’s. Anyone got any of the particular vld bullets they would recommend. Planning on shooting something like the 178gr eld-x or gs custom bullets in the range of 178-200 gr.
    Zee said:
    Personally, I would find more use from a 7mm WSM. 
    Me too, but I'd probably want all 3. I want the whole ball of wax, I'm Greedy!
    Uncle fester the reason I’m  rebarreling even keeping the same caliber. I’m going to have the barrel removed and the action trued. I’ve got an D’Arcy Echols stock I’m going to have installed along with a new barrel. It will be a semi-custom. The rifle will be used for hunting and ringing steel out to 1000 yards. I’m wanting to do an ibex hunt in kyrgzstan in the next couple years. This may be a rifle I take or not who knows. Thanks for the reply’s. Anyone got any of the particular vld bullets they would recommend. Planning on shooting something like the 178gr eld-x or gs custom bullets in the range of 178-200 gr.
    What cartridge is it chambered in now?
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    I'd lean toward the 7mm, simply for the SD. But, probably not a dimes worth of difference between the two. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Snakes it in 300wsm. Linefinder I have thought about the 7mm because of the better sectional density. That's the reason I've kind of threw this post out here. Tjere are some good Bullets out there now in both calibres. Whichever I choose I will be shooting the various vld Bullets. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    Do you have ROOM in the magazines for the various VLD bullets, or is this going to be a single feeder?  If they're going to fit, the 7mm seems more ideal for what you're planning.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,962 Senior Member
    Biggest issue I had with my 7mm WSM was finding brass. Plenty of 300 all over the place but not so much the 7mm.

Sako
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Yea brass can be tougher to find,  and like the 280 Rem/30'06 it's a slightly different case.  

Shouldn't have TOO many issues with seating,  M70's have a longer than standard magazine.  3.15 iirc

If you hadn't said Legend and mountains,  I would've said neither,  build you a B&M....but, since it's a lightweight,  flip a coin.  Kiffin it was me... I'd stay 300, and try to load some 165 grams TTSX (not the 168's the 165 have a shorter shank for the short mags)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
     bigslug I know I won’t be able to run some of the vlds because of mag length. His will be primarily a hunting rig so I want to use the magazine. Looking at running 178gr at the lowest weight and 190 -200 gr at the heaviest. A lot will depend on length of particular bullets and if they’ll be able to feed reliably and shoot consistany.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 923 Senior Member
    I figured that you had a rational reason for the choice, but you have next level thinking going on.  It sounds like an awesome project and even better trip.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    There is a 1885 hunter at my LGS taunting me in 270 WSM........
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    Nice!  What’cha gonna rebarrel it to? 😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Elk creek said:
    It currently wears a very nice octagon barrel. Don’t think of it as 270wsm, rather call it a 6.8wsm....😉🤠
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,703 Senior Member
    I'm running a 7mm WSM and like it plenty.  I confirmed that it will drop an elk just fine.  A .300 WSM will do the same with a bit more recoil, but of course, you can through heavier projectiles if you feel the need.  A Wambli said: coin toss.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited April 6 #25
    Elk creek said:/.
    Elk creek said:
    It currently wears a very nice octagon barrel. Don’t think of it as 270wsm, rather call it a 6.8wsm....😉🤠

Elk Ol' Buddy, you can call it whatever you want, it still measures .277 from bottom of the groove Straight across the barrel to bottom of the groove and will chunk 150 Grain Spitzer Bullets at 3,000-3,100 FPS out of the muzzle accurately and with deadly force into the next zip code. Now tell me what's not to love about that? LOLOLOL!!!

snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:/.
    Elk creek said:

Elk Ol' Buddy, you can call it whatever you want, it still measures .277 from bottom of the groove Straight across the barrel to bottom of the groove and will chunk 150 Grain Spitzer Bullets at 3,000-3,100 FPS out of the muzzle accurately and with deadly force into the next zip code. Now tell me what's not to love about that? LOLOLOL!!!

The $1200 price tag.......🤣
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Rebore to .35 WSM a wildcat that actually intrigues me...
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Out here a 270wsm does make sence.....that said a 35wsm would be a thumper!
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    .35 Whelen performance in a short action?  What's there not to like...
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    .35 Whelen performance in a short action?  What's there not to like...
    That would be a 350 Rem Mag.

A 358 WSM, aka 35 Sambar, is a 358 Norma in short action.  Bigger WSM cats don't give much to their standard length belted counterparts.  The gap is thinner than the factory small bore options. 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,691 Senior Member
    Make sure you get the proper twist rate for the bullets you are using.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file