25-06

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,123 Senior Member
I have to work up some  25-06 varmint loads using Sierra 75 gr. FBHP moly coated, my only loads for the 25-06 have always been 100 - 120 gr. bullets,has anyone ever loaded for this bullet or have any suggestions. 

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Comments

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,963 Senior Member
    I’m no help. Only used 115gr and above. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,703 Senior Member
    edited April 8 #3
    I have two quarter bores, a .250 Savage, the .250-3000 to some of you,  and a .257 Bob Ackley Improved. The  Bob AI is close to the .25-06, but it's still about 100 FPS slower. However, it's close enough to it that it doesn't give up enough to the .25-06 to make a practical difference. But having said all that, it makes no difference. I can't help here because like Zee, I never use anything lighter than 115 grain bullets, even in the .250,except to fire form cases in the AI. For that I buy some cheaper 100 grain bullets and go out and shoot a bunch at paper. I don't shoot at varmints with my .25s. I use my .224s for that. My .25s are both pretty well dedicated deer-hog rifles.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,123 Senior Member
    Other than my AR the 26-06 is the smallest bore i now own since i sold my 22-250s, the only reason I'm loading the 75s is my club has a PD match twice a year, 10 dogs at 200yds. ranging in size from 2" to 8"

JAY
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,691 Senior Member
    I have used the 75 Hornady hollow point for pd's in my 257 Roberts AI, with great success.
     I used a heavier bullet for deer and antelope though.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,649 Senior Member
    Jay, I  don't have a quarter bore, but I have had good luck loading 75 grain HP's, using IMR 30-31 in my .243......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 203 Member
    Hey Jay, I may have some load data concerning the 75gr Vmax I can look for tonight or tomorrow!  I used it a lot in MT on everything from Gophers, to coyotes to headshots on Deer!  Incredibly accurate in my Sendero's but the Sako didn't like the light bullets.  But like Zee said other than the 100gr Triple Shok, I only load for the 115gr BT in my .25-06's anymore.  I'll guarantee if you try the 80gr Positive Expanding Point from Winchester, you won't even load the 75's unless it's a weight limit thing!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
    Shooter10mm, Thanks , the reason I'm loading the Sierra's is i have 200 moly coated, the PD match I'm shooting is just a fun match, no prizes just another reason for a bunch of guys and gals to pop some caps.

JAY
    jaywapti said:
    Shooter10mm, Thanks , the reason I'm loading the Sierra's is i have 200 moly coated, the PD match I'm shooting is just a fun match, no prizes just another reason for a bunch of guys and gals to pop some caps.

JAY

That Jay, is the best reason I can think of to shoot. I've had many good times doing just that, some of them the best times I've ever had with a firearm.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake, Ya at my age all i can do is fun shooting, 2 years ago I took the M-1 Garand to sight it in, well I had my choice I could see either the peep or the front sight or the target, I dont do to bad with a scope, but at 80 I still get some shooting time in. Im thinking of mounting either a 6-18 Redfield or a T-24 Weaver on the 25, leaning towards the weaver.
    JAY

I'm with you Jay, I"m 10 years behind you and I wouldn't mind a 25x on a gun I was shooting steel and static targets out to over 100 yards or so. I need good glass. It doesn't have to cost  $400-$500. I just want a good solid scope that a little recoil won't kill and will hold zero. I like something with max power of at least 10 or 12.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file