Anyone ever put a Boyds stock on a Marlin model 60

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 2,623 Senior Member
Thinking about getting one for a project. The website says some fitting may be required. I was wondering what that involved.

Comments

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,526 Senior Member
    Never worked with a Boyds stock but with all semi-inlets, most are not drop ins and some fitting is required to get the barreled action fit into the wood. I doubt a M60 would be a difficult task. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,703 Senior Member
    Thinking about getting one for a project. The website says some fitting may be required. I was wondering what that involved.
    I've worked on one Richards Microfit and it required a lot of fitting. And 2 Boyds which were drop-ins. But be forewarned they were both centerfire bolt guns so I don't know.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,623 Senior Member
    The Boyds I put on a 10/22 fit with no modifications. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,496 Senior Member
    With the Boyds stock there shouldn't be any major work unless you got one of the semi inlet ones for doing a heavy barrel job on the Mod. 60. If that isn't the case, then some sanding and a little wood file work might be required to get the action to fit, but not much.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

tennmike said:
    With the Boyds stock there shouldn't be any major work unless you got one of the semi inlet ones for doing a heavy barrel job on the Mod. 60. If that isn't the case, then some sanding and a little wood file work might be required to get the action to fit, but not much.

Not looking to do a heavy barrel. Heard it was a PITA with the way the barrels are pressed in. 
    Removing a pressed in barrel is a LOT easier than pressing in a barrel. Sayin'! I've got the press and the required vocabulary for such work, too! :)
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

edited April 10 #8
    tennmike said:
    Removing a pressed in barrel is a LOT easier than pressing in a barrel. Sayin'! I've got the press and the required vocabulary for such work, too! :)
    On most of these pressed in barrels are they pinned once they're pressed in? Also, is there usually enough metal to thread them, to cut threads on the barrel and inside the action ring later say should you want to convert it to a screwed in barrel on something like a Remington 710 or 783? That's two I'm pretty sure are pressed in.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    On most of these pressed in barrels are they pinned once they're pressed in? Also, is there usually enough metal to thread them, to cut threads on the barrel and inside the action ring later say should you want to convert it to a screwed in barrel on something like a Remington 710 or 783? That's two I'm pretty sure are pressed in.
    Most, but by no means all pressed barrels are pinned. And some of the old single shots and some mag fed and tube fed .22 rifles had the action milled into the barrel blank. It's a Duke's mixture as to what you'll find on .22 rifles from 1900 up to now.

On the pressed in barrels and pressed and pinned, if you wanted to thread the action that would be on a case by case basis. some actions are thicker at the breech end than others. And the original barrel may not have enough thickness to it to mate with the major diameter of the threads you put in the action, so a new barrel may be required. And some bolt actions have a bolt that the extractor must have an angled shelf to rotate on. And semiauto and pump rifles may need an extractor slot cut in the barrel after it is headspaced. No way to make a blanket statement about it.

tennmike said:
    tennmike said:
    snake284 said:
    Most, but by no means all pressed barrels are pinned. And some of the old single shots and some mag fed and tube fed .22 rifles had the action milled into the barrel blank. It's a Duke's mixture as to what you'll find on .22 rifles from 1900 up to now.

On the pressed in barrels and pressed and pinned, if you wanted to thread the action that would be on a case by case basis. some actions are thicker at the breech end than others. And the original barrel may not have enough thickness to it to mate with the major diameter of the threads you put in the action, so a new barrel may be required. And some bolt actions have a bolt that the extractor must have an angled shelf to rotate on. And semiauto and pump rifles may need an extractor slot cut in the barrel after it is headspaced. No way to make a blanket statement about it.

WOOOOOOOO. I just wish I knew all this stuff. Tryin to learn but I'm way behind.
    edited April 10 #11
    Actually, I kinda figured .22s would be that way, but I was kinda referring to center fires like the cheap Remingtons. I know some of those are pressed and pinned in>
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,959 Senior Member
    I would guess that the fitting would be in the trigger guard area as the older models had a longer tab at the back of the trigger guard than the newer models.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    snake284 said:
    Actually, I kinda figured .22s would be that way, but I was kinda referring to center fires like the cheap Remingtons. I know some of those are pressed and pinned in>
    Same difference fitting the barrel. The old barrel shank is too small to thread, so you have to shorten the barrel to get enough meat to take threads. and the action would have to be threaded, also. It could be done on centerfire actions IF the action has enough thickness to thread, but unless it was some crazy 'custom' job or the barrel was shot out I wouldn't even consider it. That's a lot of $$$ to spend on a relatively cheap action. And the price of a custom fixture to hold that particular action for pressing out the barrel wouldn't be a cheap thing to fabricate. EVERYTHING has to be held in alignment during the process; angled thrust on the breech of the barrel would do really bad things to the action front ring, like cracking it.

tennmike said:
    you
    Yeah most of those are fears I had just thinking about it. Then can you tell me, is the Ruger American Centerfire barrel pressed in? I don't think the the Savage cheapo is because it looks like it has the YUGLY Barrel Nut. But I'm not sure about these. I know that at least some of the Remington cheapos are pressed in. That's what keeps me away from them. I know that barrels burn out. When I buy a rifle It's for life and I don't want a throwaway anything.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,686 Senior Member
    Ruger American is threaded with a barrel nut like Savage. 
    Threading a pressed center fire action is a fools errand. If I was forced, ain't a chance I'd press it out. It would get machined out. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    I've machined out the barrels on a few milsurps that had threaded barrels that 'grew into' the action threads.
    Pressing out a pressed in barrel takes a close fitting push rod at the back and a very close fitting jig to hold the action. Once the pressure gets up there it will 'pop' and slide right on out with little pressure. It's getting that initial movement that draws up the ol' brown starfish! :smiley:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file