Air Strikes underway......in Syria tonight

2»

Comments

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 5,923 Senior Member
    edited April 14 #32
    ............................. I kind of see the chemical weapons as secondary. 
    Until it happens in one of your small towns, then you may express a very different opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/05/salisbury-hospital-police-fire-crews-attend-major-incident
    Mon 5 Mar 2018 18.20 GMT

'Major incident' after two people exposed to substance in Wiltshire.........

Two people are critically ill after being exposed to an unknown substance in an incident that is being investigated by government experts in chemical hazards and radiation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5732435/sergei-skripal-russian-spy-poison-nerve-agent-salisbury/
    12th April 2018, 2:28 pm

Independent chemicals weapons scientists have confirmed that "high purity" Novichok was used to poison Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia.

Experts from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) carried out tests that confirmed the nerve agent was found in environmental samples collected in Salisbury.

Blood tests also confirmed that the same chemical was found in blood samples taken from the Skripals and Detective Sergeant Nick Bailey - the police officer who first attended the scene.

According to the OPCW report, the chemical was of "high purity" with a complete absence of contaminants.............

Britain accused Russia of being behind the nerve agent attack and Western governments including the United States expelled over 100 Russian diplomats.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said the Skripals were poisoned with Novichok, a deadly group of nerve agents developed by the Soviet military in the 1970s and 1980s.

Russia has denied Britain's charges of involvement in the first known offensive use of such a nerve agent on European soil since World War Two and suggested Britain carried out the attack itself to stoke anti-Russian hysteria.

Russia said it does not have such nerve agents and President Vladimir Putin said it was nonsense to think that Moscow would have poisoned Skripal and his daughter.

cjp wrote: »

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »

...But seriously Shush....

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    edited April 14 #33
    Mission Accomplished?

So are we done dropping bombs or done with Syria altogether?

Reminds me of this:

"Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,747 Senior Member
    shush said:
    Until it happens in one of your small towns, then you may express a very different opinion.

That is part of the whole getting Russia to sit down and shut up thing. They have been way too aggressive lately.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 442 Member
    Unknown to me until recently, Hitler refrained from the use of chemical weapons. Likely because he was gased in the first war.

Not only did Britain carry out the attack in Salisbury, we helped to fake the attack in Douma also.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-ghouta-provocati/russia-says-britain-helped-fake-syria-chemical-attack-idUSKBN1HK24P

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s Defence Ministry said on Friday that Britain was involved faking a suspected chemical weapons attack in the Syrian town of Douma.............

“We have... evidence that proves Britain was directly involved in organizing this provocation,” defense ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said.

Konashenkov said that Russia knew “for sure” that between April 3-6, the White Helmets - a group which helps civilians in opposition-held territory in Syria - were “under severe pressure specifically from London to produce as quickly as possible this pre-planned provocation.”

I think they are a bit peed off with us, somehow.

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:

The use of chemical weapons is a war crime and crime against humanity.

I dunno why we are so concerned over HOW people are killed, and don't seem to give much interest or thought to the THAT or the WHY they are killed.

It seems like much the same silliness over hollow point vs. FMJ coming out of small arms. . .when at the same time artillery and air strikes are getting employed to its full effect.

This 20th Century notion that war is somehow a civilized business and should be conducted in a civilized and often apologetic manner boggles my mind at times.  I have the impression that we're acting as some redneck dad that separates two kids fighting on the playground only AFTER one resorts to biting, eye-gouging, and kicks to the balls.  As a big believer in OPENING the fight with biting, eye-gouging, and kicks to the balls, I have trouble fathoming what Dad's going on about.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited April 14 #38
    Bigslug said:
    Big Chief said:

The use of chemical weapons is a war crime and crime against humanity.

This 20th Century notion that war is somehow a civilized business and should be conducted in a civilized and often apologetic manner boggles my mind at times.

Heads up there Bigslug, the United Kingdom is not at war with Russia but Russia is triying to kill its own nationals on our streets.

Something it has been doing successfully across europe, on the quiet, for some time.

We are the first to point the finger.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,468 Senior Member
    There's one thing about those missiles, be they Cruise, Tomahawk, SAMs, or whatever that isn't really talked about. Nukes, and conventional warhead an nuclear torpedoes are same-same. THEY ALL HAVE A USE BY DATE, or they have to go back to the manufacturer for refurbishing. And if they CAN'T be refurbished, then they are relegated to 'telemetry or telemetering' shots for war games and practice because they aren't considered 100% reliable with an actual warhead. The warhead is replaced with an electronics package that tells the shooter how close to the target it hit. And some are beyond refurbishment and are scrapped. Has nothing to do with the discussion, really, but it's something that isn't really talked about. They all cost more than a dumb gravity bomb because the home folk wet their britches if someone outside the target is killed. Didn't seem to be much of a concern in WWII. Now the press and the handwringers demand surgical precision strikes with NO collateral damage. That's because they watch too much Hollyweird garbage in war movies and think it's the truth.

About the bullet vs. gravity/smart bomb vs. artillery round vs. smart or dumb missile death, they can all be instantaneous or cause lingering on and eventual death or permanent disfigurement. Antipersonnel and antivehicle mines are another one that either kills quickly, slowly, or permanently disfigures, and sometimes long after the war is over. None of these is humane, but it's what is accepted by the fools that start wars and agreed on the 'rules of warfare'.

Now the gas and biological weapons. They don't necessarily cause an instantaneous death. It can be a long lingering death. And death by chemical weapons is a horrendous thing. Humans have a great fear of suffocating to death, and a lot of those chemical agents do just that; they cause the victim to die by asphyxiation by shutting down the signals from the brain to the lungs, diaphragm, and heart. Cruel weapons meant to be the most terrible of the terrible.

Nuclear is in a class all its own. In a nuclear strike, it's better to be in the total destruction zone than the zone where most of the people linger on for 30 days, and worse for those outside that area and are going to die a while later, be it months or a few years. The fallout contaminates whatever it touches, and the gamma radiation plus breathing in that radioactive contamination particulate will shorten life to the not being worthwhile to live. If you are in that blast or fallout area, then you're going to be dead sooner or later; with nuclear, sooner is better than later while your guts are being squirted out or dying from internal hemorrhaging.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file