pointy stick flingy thingy

sakodudesakodude Senior MemberPosts: 2,965 Senior Member
So last year Illinois made crossbows legal for use during the regular archery season and I have since been contemplating the possibilities. Well no longer, this has found it's way into my man cave. Browning Zero 7 model one-seven-one. Claims 390 fps with a 400 gr bolt/point combo. Have not shot it yet but really looking forward to giving it a work out.
This should really open up some opportunities to hunt since the season opens in Sept and doesn't close till Jan. As opposed to the few select weekends open to shotgun hunting. 

Comments

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 499 Member
    A long time ago that was a weapon of war.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,965 Senior Member
    A long time ago that was a weapon of war.
    Don't say that to loud, someone in the Illinois legislature might be listening!!

Sako
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 499 Member
    Mum's the word👂👀
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,922 Senior Member
    Nice!
    Have never shot one.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,548 Senior Member
    I have had a PSE XB-300 Mag crossbow for a pretty long time now. Scary accurate and easily a 50+ yard shooter. You're gonna like that thing. Wax the string and the rails it rubs on, and have a blast! Do you have a cocking mechanism for it? Makes cocking those things a LOT easier and safer.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    Oh look! It's got a gold trigger!   
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    So do all my other Brownings, doesn't seem to affect how they shoot one little bit :p

Sako
    I have had a PSE XB-300 Mag crossbow for a pretty long time now. Scary accurate and easily a 50+ yard shooter. You're gonna like that thing. Wax the string and the rails it rubs on, and have a blast! Do you have a cocking mechanism for it? Makes cocking those things a LOT easier and safer.
    I did but returned it, seemed poorly engineered and unlikely to last under the strain. To be fair, the device they sell is actually engineered for the the older 1-6-1, 1-6-2, models but I was told by browning it would work with mine.
    The rope cocking rig is actually pretty easy so not really an issue I don't think.

Sako
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,708 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    At first I thought you were joking. Then I zoomed in.  
    Anyway, pimp trigger aside, that's pretty cool. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,334 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #11
    I have always said we need to add one of those to the anti zombi locker

Nice pick up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    The rope cocking device is what I use. It works just fine. Equal cocking force on each side of the string is important. You can actually get more force on one side because the string is crooked and held that way by the release. Makes the arrow fly to one side.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

Diver43 said:
    I have always said we need to add one of those to the anti zombi locker

Nice pick up
    Just be sure you also get a few hundred dozen bolts for the crossbow. You don't want to reuse those icky contaminated bolts with zombie virus all over them. One open cut and you're a zombie if that mess on the arrow gets in the cut! Infection! AAAAAHHHHHhhhhh! :D

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #14
    cpj said:
    Jayhawker said:
    At first I thought you were joking. Then I zoomed in.  
    Anyway, pimp trigger aside, that's pretty cool. 
    Just trying to get a rise out of cpj...nice rig!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,967 Senior Member
    I would suggest getting a decocking bolt. You should never dryfire a crossbow and it's not safe to store a cocked crossbow. It's a  solid, weighted, blunt bolt that you fire into the ground to decock the bow. If you're hunting and you don't take a shot, you have a cocked crossbow on your hands.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,095 Senior Member
    That’s a cool toy 😎
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I would suggest getting a decocking bolt. You should never dryfire a crossbow and it's not safe to store a cocked crossbow. It's a  solid, weighted, blunt bolt that you fire into the ground to decock the bow. If you're hunting and you don't take a shot, you have a cocked crossbow on your hands.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that.

Sako
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 5,967 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #18
    .................... you have a cocked crossbow on your hands.
    I have been there many a time. :*

Ah!, you mean hunting?

cjp wrote: »

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »

...But seriously Shush....

shush said:
    .................... you have a cocked crossbow on your hands.
    I have been there many a time. :*

Ah!, you mean hunting?
    On this side of the park and we call that blue balls.
    The software changed "pond" to "park" but it let the rest go. Go figure.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,597 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #21
    I either keep a cheap, off-brand bolt, with a field point on it, to fire before I leave Or use one of the TenPoint "CUBs"

I have a fairly soft dirt bank I fire it into.
     TenPoint makes 2piece, bio-degradable "de-cocking bolts" that you can fire and forget into the woods , as well
    I've used them also
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tenpoint-crossbow-technologies-crossbow-unloading-bolts™-6-pack

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Any suggestions for extra bolts that don't break the bank? Kit came with 3 Browning 22" bolt and they run about 12 bucks ea for extras. The least expensive I've found that meet the specifications are Cabelas branded at about 6 bucks ea. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sako
    The cheapest bolts I've found are the Victory brand at Sportsman's Guide and they're still five bucks apiece if you're not a member. I just use them for practice and use my better bolts to hunt with.
    I'm a tightwad; I make my own bolts from aluminum arrow shafts of proper spline strength. with the 'heat shrink' fletching available now, and crossbow knocks and ferrules as inexpensive as they are, it isn't hard to do. I buy raw shafts long enough to make 2 bolts from one shaft.

My decocking bolt is just a cheap bolt (Walmart on sale after bow season) with a target point of same weight as the broadheads. Target points don't penetrate as deep as the field points, in my experience.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file