A few pics from today's Airshow

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 16,597 Senior Member
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Comments

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,597 Senior Member
    I took all these pics
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,648 Senior Member
    Nice pics
    My new Signature
    Thanks, That split tailed jet is one of only 11 (per the announcer) de Havilland Vampires still flying.

The one with "Army" painted on it is from an aircraft museum it Texas and is supposedly (again, per the show announcer) the only C-7 Caribou currently in flying condition in the world (???)

I forget the designations of the 2 stunt planes
    and I'm sure everyone here recognizes the P-51 Mustang and A-10 Warthog

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,380 Senior Member
    What is that goofy looking Army bird with the HUGE tail?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    zorba said:
    What is that goofy looking Army bird with the HUGE tail?
    I beatcha too it. C-7 Caribou (see post just above yours) :p

Oh, and it has such a funny tail because it was designed for short take-off

That American flag was over 700Sq ft.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,648 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #9
    The tail has to be high like that so they could drive jeeps into it for delivery, as well as use
    forklifts to load pallets.
    My new Signature
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,384 Senior Member
    We're planning to go to the air show at Columbus next weekend. Unfortunately the Thunderbirds had to cancel their appearance due to a recent crash.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Looks like it was a good show.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,180 Senior Member
    Cool beans, Thanx.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    RugerFan said:
    We're planning to go to the air show at Columbus next weekend. Unfortunately the Thunderbirds had to cancel their appearance due to a recent crash.
    Yeah TB #4, they had 4 planes do a missing man formation, and a moment of silence while Taps was played over the PA system for him

Looks like it was a good show.

It was okay, not as many old war-birds as I'd have preferred and was COLD

Big Chief said:
    Cool beans, Thanx.
    You're welcome

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    Nice pics.  When I met met my wife, we were TDY at Westover AFB in MA.  It was in active back then but the reserves had some C-7s.  Hard to believe there are none left, it was only 37 yrs ago.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK said:
    Nice pics.  When I met met my wife, we were TDY at Westover AFB in MA.  It was in active back then but the reserves had some C-7s.  Hard to believe there are none left, it was only 37 yrs ago.
    I don't know, that's just what the announcer read off the script

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,637 Senior Member
    Cool fliers...great pics! Thank you for sharing!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,922 Senior Member
    Nice! Last airshow  I was at was many years ago at Edwards AFB.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,531 Senior Member
    The A-10 probably couldn't keep up with the P-51:)
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,794 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    RugerFan said:
    Yeah TB #4, they had 4 planes do a missing man formation, and a moment of silence while Taps was played over the PA system for him
    Oh wow, I didn't hear about that. Saw them last year at Andrews and used to see them flying over my house near Wight Pat growing up all the time. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    When I was at Nellis AFB, they had a bad crash practicing.  Leader flew into the ground and two others followed him.  I think they cancelled the whole season.

Not to speak ill of the dead but most of the guys on the team, not just the pilots but maintenance and logistics and everyone were prima donnas. They thought every piece of equipment the brought in for calibration had priority over everything.  Sorry, it gets in line with the real mission gear.  Even their support equipment was painted like the planes.  Heaven forbid you scratch it on them fixing it.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,677 Senior Member
    You suck!

I miss those air shows. The Confederate Air Force used to be based about 5 miles from my house (1980's, I think). If I didn't want to drive over there, I could see them coming over the house. They had the last remaining B-29 that was still flying there for one day and I was able to see it take off, plus a B-24 and B-17. The sound of those old Pratt & Whitneys was really cool.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,531 Senior Member

I think this happened in Idaho. The pilot that ejected had been one of my F-15 IP's. He got out safely but it was pilot error since he forgot to reset the altimeter from Nellis. I know he didn't fly with the T-birds again!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,548 Senior Member
    I like the old piston powered aircraft more than the jets, for the most part. The A-10, F-4 family, and the A-6 Intruder family being the exceptions. I got to see those jets fly a lot and they kind of grow on you. The A-10 has a very unique sound due to type of engine.

Those are really good photos of the aircraft, Knitepoet! You done good!
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• philo426philo426 Member Posts: 299 Member
    I dig the Dehavaild Vampire and Bronco.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file