David E. Petzal

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 20,708 Senior Member
edited April 16 in Clubhouse #1
When someone posted the thread about the fishing writer that wrote in Field & Stream dying, I thought of David Petzal, one of my all time favorite writers and the rifle editor for F&S.  BTW, he's still alive and kicking and still writing. I did a little research on him and found this article which shows some of his true genius in writing. It was informative and funny. Thought I'd share. Here's the link.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/ammunition/rifles/2005/11/10-things-irritate-david-e-petzal
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Comments

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    Do a little more research....he's not exactly loved by many due to some of his "Zumbo-ish" stance on "assault rifles" back in 2007
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,555 Senior Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,708 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Do a little more research....he's not exactly loved by many due to some of his "Zumbo-ish" stance on "assault rifles" back in 2007
    Actually  I did. I like him and read him not because he's the NRA's God, but he's knowledgeable and I love his writing. He was guilty of the same affliction that befell a lot of older gun guys when things started happening with ARs and other non traditional firearms began to get popular. I remember when my old gun smith, the one here in town, told me that these crazy paramilitary guys are going to ruin it for everybody, that ARs, AKs, and Glocks (Yes, Ol' Roy was even anti Glock because it was made of a lot of plastic parts and at that time we were all afraid it could be smuggled onto an airliner.). He got off the Glocks later but went to his grave hating ARs and AKs because he thought they would later get our rights taken away. There were lots of older people that felt like this. I think even the NRA was a little skiddish in taking up for that stuff at first. But I believe, even though he writes for the LIBTARD F&S, he has come to his senses and is a pro gun guy with the best of us. He said as much in the article I gave the URL for. Anyway, I'm not going to make any excuses for him or anyone but myself, but I love to read his writings and will continue to do so.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 499 Member
    edited April 16 #5
    Field and Steam as well as Outdoor Life have lost a lot of the narrative style of the articles. David Petzal's advice and commentary well usually accurate and practical are generally without the type of personal narrative that authors like Patrick McManus became acclaimed for. In all likelihood that is due to editorial containment and not anything lacking on his part.

His stance on AR's is outside my familiarity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file