Possibly the best piece of Outdoor Writing ever done.....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 13,854 Senior Member
In another post, I brought up Corey Ford and his masterpiece " The Road to Tinkhamtown"....for our younger members who have never heard of Ford and for the old guys that haven't read it in awhile, I'm posting the original manuscript of Ford's tale....enjoy

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2010/04/fs-classic-original-unedited-manuscript-corey-fords-road-tinkhamtown
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
     :'(
    Good story. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,550 Senior Member
    Great story. Double Thumbs Up Thanks animated emoticonI remember reading that one before. I did a little googling and found out that he also wrote 'The Lower Forty' column in Field and Stream. I read those with enthusiasm back then, but forgot the author's name in the mists of time. I was in single and barely double digit age at the time, so that's my excuse.

Regarding that story, only a bird hunter, specifically grouse or the bobwhite quail, would understand fully that feeling of hunting alone with your dog in the quiet secret places. It's something that can't really be explained, but if you've done it a lot, you know that feeling. Those secret hunting spots were the hardly ever miss on birds, and you didn't divulge their location to anyone. I did divulge them to my Dad, and to my knowledge he kept the secret.

It would be nice if those stories and books were available for a reasonable price in hardcover, paperback, or electronic book form. He wrote some great stories. It would be nice to reread them one more time.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,854 Senior Member
    I have pretty much everything Ford wrote in first or second editions also Nash Buckingham, Gordon McQuarrie (Stories of the Old Duck Hunters and Other Drivel), Ruark, Gene Hill, McManus just to name a few...in truth my collection of outdoor writing is probably worth more than the contents of my gun safe....and it's worth far more than that to me...
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,195 Senior Member
    I truly hope it's just like that...  thank you for sharing this brother.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    In another post, I brought up Corey Ford and his masterpiece " The Road to Tinkhamtown"....for our younger members who have never heard of Ford and for the old guys that haven't read it in awhile, I'm posting the original manuscript of Ford's tale....enjoy

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2010/04/fs-classic-original-unedited-manuscript-corey-fords-road-tinkhamtown

Didn't Corey Ford pen the "Back Forty" column that appeared in one of Sports Afield, Outdoor Life or Field and Stream?  I remember reading some of his stuff way back when.  It took me forever to figure out what a "pahtridge" was.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,854 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

Didn't Corey Ford pen the "Back Forty" column that appeared in one of Sports Afield, Outdoor Life or Field and Stream?  I remember reading some of his stuff way back when.  It took me forever to figure out what a "pahtridge" was.
    Lower Forty....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,427 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting that up Scott. Saved to favourites.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file