Sunday Gun-Day, It's Going To Be Hard To Top This One (There Was a Helicopter)

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,258 Senior Member

In my recent travels I've been fortunate enough to be in the near vicinity of an old college friend who has since gone on to be a "cool guy" in a major metropolitan PD. What's the advantage of this? When your friends grow up to be cool guys, they're still your friends, and they also know other cool guys.

They also have the clout to get access to a private training complex with 5 shooting bays, and a 1000 yard range, and invite you along.

We spent most of the day running a few drills on one of the 100yd bays. My weapons of choice were my mix-master AR sporting a Daniel Defense upper, Vortex Viper PST 1-4 optic, and SilencerCo Omega suppressor; as well as my EDC Glock 19 Gen 4 in a Raven Concealment Eidelon AIWB holster:

The drills (which involved barricade shooting both strongside and weak-side) went well, and I can proudly say I posted up the fastest score despite being one of the few "regular guys" there. However, this was just the start.

The owner of the complex, "Bob," was shooting with us and casually mentioned "Hey in about 15 minutes, there will be a helicopter landing here, so don't shoot it."

Say what?

Sure enough:

If that wasn't enough, someone jokingly made the mention of SHOOTING out of the helicopter. The pilot paused for a moment, and with a shrug said "yeah why not?" I can't make this up...

To shoot out of the aircraft I borrowed my friend's Aimpoint equipped BCM rifle, because my personal rifle did not have a sling attached. I'm not 100% sure how well I did on scoring hits, but I was able at least to keep all the rounds safely in the berm.

Naturally, afterwards we all clambered to lend the pilot whatever gear he wanted, and let him run through quite a few drills.

(Before anyone asks, YES I did quiz the pilot on his background and paid close attention to what he was doing for the first few minutes of the flight. As an instructor pilot myself I can't help it)

We capped the day off by setting up some steel 1/2 sized silhouette targets at 100, 300, and 500 yards. I can happily say I concluded my range day by scoring a first shot hit on the 100yds target with my Glock 19. I promptly stopped shooting for the day.

All-in-all I expended 400rds of .223, all suppressed, with one failure-to-fire due to what appeared to be a light primer strike. I experienced no malfunctions with the can besides that despite the gun getting MUCH dirtier. I didn't do any additional lube or maintenance on the gun, and POI shift wasn't enough to negate impacts on steel out to 300 yds. I did notice the SiCo Omega can working its way loose though, which I blame the ASR mount for. Perhaps I should have gone Surefire, oh well. As a hobbyist, the SiCo will suffice. I had a video of suppressed v. not, but since the camera microphone muffles it anyway, it's not worth watching.

In 300rds of Remington 9mm, the Glock 19 performed flawlessly. More importantly, the Raven Concealment Eidelon did an outstanding job of retaining the handgun despite running around, crawling in the dirt, flying in the aircraft, etc. I have the utmost confidence in this set up as an EDC.

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Comments

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,258 Senior Member
    Side note, what's with the absurdly large photos, and how do I downsize them?
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,557 Senior Member
    Looks like fun Matt
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,304 Senior Member
    You definitely have kool friends.  Glad you got to make the most of it.
    Didn't realize you were instructing, congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,072 Senior Member
    Looks like you had a blast ........thanks for showing !
    Don't worry about the size of the photos ............ they look great !
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,074 Senior Member
    That looks like some fun for you that don't come around very often.

You fly that Whirlybird too while the pilot shot? What kind is it?

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 443 Member
    I could not do that. Im barely ok with a small pressurised oval window to look through.🚁
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 3,954 Senior Member
    Wow, sounds like a great time.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,652 Senior Member
    The forum SHOULD resize them to a managble size. Should happen about the time the archives come back. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 276 Member
    Like you said, hard to top that for fun. I would love that! Thanks for sharing story and pics.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 923 Senior Member
    That had to be very fun.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,594 Senior Member
    Gnats are good for something after all, hey.  :D
    My new Signature
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,522 Senior Member
    Looks like a real blast!! Glad you got to do it, and unplanned too, that's the most fun!!
    I got to go on a "ride along" on a UH-1 gunship on a range trip. Didn't get to pull the triggers but it was still fun!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,468 Senior Member
    Fun times for sure! Shooting like that from a helicopter with a rifle had to be fun. :)
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,684 Senior Member
    Sounds like a totally awesome time. WOW! As far as shooting out of the chopper, my clumsy ass would have probably dropped the rifle out the window!!! I'd learn though and I'd love to do that on some hogs on my lease. DUDE you are living large time! Glad you got the opportunity.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,967 Senior Member
    dude.  That sounds AWESOME.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,029 Senior Member
    DAMN that sounds like a fun day!!! 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    cpj said:
    The forum SHOULD resize them to a managble size. Should happen about the time the archives come back. 
    It does wrk with some of the latest browsers and devices just fine.  Nearly impossible to have things work with all browsers, specially older versions.

Works like a champ on IOS and OS Safari.  Pukes all over Windows 10 and Explorer latest versions even with Automatic Image Resizing turned on... 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,652 Senior Member
    edited April 17 #19
    Edit: It's free. And lack of traffic for for advertising because it's slow is zero skin from my bag. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,103 Senior Member
    my jealousy meter is driven beyond Pat. Pend. ! 
    My SiCo Omega will work loose after a few rounds as well, using direct thread mounting. 
    Got to honk down on it to eliminate the issue. 
    So I don't think it is the ASR mounting. 
    Thanks for sharing! 

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,332 Senior Member
    A lot of fun and further proof that the Glock 19 is a perfect pistol.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 692 Senior Member
    What a day, sounds like a lot of fun!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,258 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    You fly that Whirlybird too while the pilot shot? What kind is it?

Nah, it only had a single set of flight controls. It was a Robinson R44, requires an endorsement to legally fly so I couldn't have swapped seats with the pilot. 
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,074 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Gnats are good for something after all, hey.  :D
    Now Ned, I'll bet Whirlybird crews have a name fer Marines in jets too............... 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,249 Senior Member
    Most definitely the coolest day ever! Congrats, I am living vicariously through you!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,103 Senior Member
    timc said:
    Most definitely the coolest day ever! Congrats, I am living vicariously through you!
    As do I.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    41magnut said:
    timc said:
    As do I.
    We all do  :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file