A good read...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 15,688 Senior Member
The "Castle Federation" series by Glynn Stewart on Kindle (and Paperback). Classic military space opera. Like one reviewer says, it won't win a Hugo or Nebula award, but its just fun. "Space Carrier Avalon" is the 1st.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    Might have to download the series to the Kindle. I like a good mindless science fiction series.

You might like Stephen R. Donaldson's 6 book series "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever'. It's more of the fantasy genre, but it's a good read. I have them in hardbound volumes.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    I read those decades ago. No longer remember them or how much or how little I liked them. It might be time for a re-read.

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,078 Senior Member
    I've been on a SciFi kick on Kindle for a bit.  I'll put that series on my list
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • coolwhipcoolwhip New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    anything by William w johnstone . political,2nd amendment and the rights of the common sense man. quick  reads the tri states will rise again
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,188 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    The "Castle Federation" series by Glynn Stewart on Kindle (and Paperback). Classic military space opera. Like one reviewer says, it won't win a Hugo or Nebula award, but its just fun. "Space Carrier Avalon" is the 1st.
    Took a nibble on your recommendation.
    Nice change of pace what I have had to wade through of late.
     Thank you.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,712 Senior Member
    The Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser were good by Fritz Leiber and his other works too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Leiber

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    I can't read
    I have a need for speed
    Download the audio.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,712 Senior Member
    shush said:
    Download the audio.
    He needs pics too.....................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    edited April 22 #11

We used to have tapes in the car for the boys.

The Borrowers was my favorite.

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,429 Senior Member

Zorba, If you liked those try the Odyssey one Series by Evan Currie  

"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

I read those too - they're great!

Got a long travel day today. Just downloaded Space Carrier Avalon and Into The Black, and charged up the noise canceling headphones.

anyone looking for a good read, try “A Long Time Untill Now” by Michael Z Williamson.  Modern military/sci-fi/time travel book
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Just finished the Odyssey One series.  Pretty good read.  I liked the twist with “Central”
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Did you read the latest one? Just came out about 2 weeks ago.

Yep.  Left it open for more books.

by the way, if you want another good sci-if series, read “Galaxys Edge” by Anspach and Cole.  It takes some of the tropes and framework from Star Wars and makes a great story
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file