The Good Bad & the Ugly Shops

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,677 Senior Member
    My real job is really getting in the way of shop progress. By the time I am done dealing with the wonderful people I have to my head is not into shop work.
    I managed to twist the heck out of my draw bar quick hitch. I built it for light work & that quickly changed so now I need to beef it up. The work before you can do work sucks some days lol

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,292 Senior Member
    When I made my drawbar quick hitch I already knew my ability to bend three point hitches. I welded mine up out of 4"x4"x1/4" wall square structural tube. The upright parts were fabricated from 6"x6"x1/2" thick angle iron. Ball hitch attachment is a piece of 2"x 3/4" CRS. It hasn't broken or bent.....................yet.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

I need to get it beefed up before I go back to shop 2 or at least bend it back in shape a bit.  That is a early morning job here with all the heat we have been getting.
    The grass around here was almost dry enough to cut & now storms are coming in again.
    Neighbors might not like me so much if I cut grass at 6am. About as much as I like there dogs barking at midnight. ( almost talked myself into cutting grass ! )

I have 2 hours to decide to work in the shop or go to an auction. The auction had big toys for sale .......always wanted a 850 dozer lol  Besides the shop work will wait for me to do it & I already put 2 tobacco plants & 2 pepper plants on my deck.  Looks like the rain will be here about the time the sale starts........might be good buys in the rain.
    If it rains while the auction is going on then that is the time to get some real bargains. Most people that are just 'Looky Lous' will leave and the ones that REALLY want something won't mind getting soaked if a bargain can be had. I'd go if the auction had something that I really needed.

I went to the auction ........was there an hour & got a service call. Ran to the call & it is a nightmare. Tec. support took an hour on hold to get to me then 15 min more for a level 2 to get on line he told me a bunch to do but had to come home for the download it required a less that 2 gig sd card. ( no one uses a less than 2 gig card any more ......long search found 1 in an old camera ....loaded the card & 60 miles back to the computer......2 attempts then it was loaded.......only took 6 hours 120 miles to be right back where I started. Called tec support again 30 min later was told they all went home & would be back on Monday. Also there are 4000 of the same machines down since friday night. ....it will only cost me around $500 in lost income. It will be an interesting call on Monday.
    There I vented & don't feel better ! lol

Well guess I am a mechanic today. One of my trucks is making a bad break noise so I better see what is going on there. It is tough to get ahead of organizing a shop when new jobs come up all the time. It is a good thing I can do a lot of this myself ......would go broke paying to have it all done.
    My shop cleaning out is on hold until the monsoon rains stop. I can't do any cleaning out when I'm getting soaked every time I stick my head out of the shop to dump some stuff in the trash trailer.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 968 Senior Member
    This thread is turning into a double version of The Red Green Show with rain.
    You are right !
    There are days I feel like I am in the red green show.......haven't seen that in years.

tennmike said:
    My shop cleaning out is on hold until the monsoon rains stop. I can't do any cleaning out when I'm getting soaked every time I stick my head out of the shop to dump some stuff in the trash trailer.
    Back the trailer in the door Mike lol Besides you wont melt with a little rain. I ended up cutting wet grass yesterday just to knock it down before I couldn't find my house.
    It took an hour just to get on line this AM you have to luv the internet crap.
    Today it will be nice out & I will be on the phone a lot of the day telling people how unhappy I am with there services. ( that will not be fun ) But before I blow up I plan to arrange a hook up with a different company that has 24/7 tec. support. They have no idea how grumpy we can get when we can't work on guns or go shooting !
    I managed to get this a little better but I think it needs more steel .
    Old Ron said:

Back the trailer in the door Mike lol Besides you wont melt with a little rain. I ended up cutting wet grass yesterday just to knock it down before I couldn't find my house.
    It took an hour just to get on line this AM you have to luv the internet crap.
    Today it will be nice out & I will be on the phone a lot of the day telling people how unhappy I am with there services. ( that will not be fun ) But before I blow up I plan to arrange a hook up with a different company that has 24/7 tec. support. They have no idea how grumpy we can get when we can't work on guns or go shooting !
    I CAN'T back my trailer into the shop! There's barely enough room for me to squeeze in through the small front door! LOLZ!

Sounds like your internet connection sucks as bad as mine.

Hope you get a good tech support company to replace the one that you're dealing with now. When you need tech support, you NEED tech support RIGHT NOW! Not a couple of days later.

Exactly after a few hours on the phone I found a new company & after talking with them decided I will give them a shot.  The paper work will be a nightmare .....again & the background check will take 15 days. So the big plan is to repair the machine tomorrow then when I get all the crap done I will go there & do the switch to the new company. I got the contract today & will drop it off to my attorney to look over & ex plane it to me in simple words.
    Why not put in a roll up door in the shop ? Then you can eat as much as you want & back in when needed.  I went with 12' doors on shop 2 & will have 14 or 16' doors on shop 3. That & a 40" side door. I eat a lot ! My six pack left years ago & now I am working on a keg.

I have a 6 foot swing out door with a regular door mounted to it. If it's raining, it would blow rain into the shop and that would not be good. I'll swing out the big door to do the 'trash relocation'.  Might need a sky hook for the lathe swarf barrels; those things are HEAVY.  I suspect I'll use the three point hitch carrier to 'wiggle' them up on. The rest will go in the trailer to be hauled off as most of it is light weight stuff. The trailer will tip to dump so I only have to load it; I'm getting lazy, and smarter, as I get older! :D

After you get those barrels empty Mike I would build platforms to set them on & have wheels to roll them around. Or pick up a barrel cart at an auction cheep. Or make a 2 wheel barrel cart with 4 wheels ...2 for the drop back position. My carts do that & man does that save my back. I can move a full size pop machine full of products alone. Full they weigh around 1500 pounds so I don't like moving them alone but some times I have to. Tough to find good help.
    I have a two wheel cart I could use, IF I HAD ROOM TO MOVE IT IN THE SHOP! :D There's barely trails for me to squeak by the stuff in there. Moving a cart around would be impossible. When I get the place cleaned out, I'll be able to use the cart.

I may be in just a bit better shape than you are Mike. I have paths big enough for carts.
    If I move the things on wheels out of the way. Putting tools away after a big project get me in a mess every time. When I am covered with dirt & grease & my back is killing me in the heat ........last thing on my mind is cleaning the tools & floor. It usually ends up 1 day to do the work then 1 day cleaning up the mess. That is unless I start another job.

Well back to shop cleaning today ......I think.
    May sneak in a little work on small stuff too. The whistle project is slow going .......getting the pits out of the brass bell is a lot of work & really slow going. The toy tractor project has not been touched for a couple months. The 410  project is ready to be rust blued. 97 stock is fitted & ready for more sanding. I now have a couple bags of water bottles so can finish the water bottle exploding project. don't know what I will do with all the spare time.

With real job & rain & bankers & lawyers not much shop work getting done. I have managed to get a couple pounds of black oxide reclaimed so it hasn't been a total loss.
    Can't find my motor & pestle for grinding it up so will keep looking while I process the rest I have to reclaim. May end up just using a hammer & smash the snot out of it.

You need to get the stuff together from your treasure trove and make a rotary tumbler to smash that stuff up with. An old freon or propane tank is great for the container, and a small 1/4 to 1/2 h.p. motor will turn the rollers to roll the drum. For the 'smasher media' be on the lookout for BIG ball bearings and smaller ones. They will crush most anything you need to squish.

Now that's an idea Mike !
    I know what ever I do it is going to be a big mess of black oxide all over the place.
    I was even considering using my cement mixer with chunks of steel in it to pound this into a powder. A hammer mill would be nice to have access to right now lol
    The last time I did this was over 10 years ago & made up a 5 gal. bucket that lasted years. I thought I did it with water then filtered it off . I must have forgot a step or 3 in the process. This is about 1/4 of what I have to do.
    We have a tornado watch out until 10 tonight so if one hits it probably won't matter for a few months.

edited June 9 #325
    The tank is easy to prep. There are some good videos on YouTube that show how to do it. For your purposes, a 2 to 2 1/2 inch hole saw hole in the bottom end would be good.  Save that part to cover the hole, or make another bigger one to cover the hole, and use a piece of rubber and self tapping screws to hold it in place.

For power, a windshield wiper motor with a small pulley attached and another pulley about 2X the diameter of the motor pulley will give you the speed and power to run it. Set the motor speed for high which is around 50-60 rpm. Or use an electric motor and get the final rpm to turn the drum at 50-60 rpm. In both cases, one of the rollers the drum sits on is driven by the motor and pulley.

I'm working, on and off, on one that uses the drum from a washing machine with the end use as a brass tumbler. It should hold a LOT of brass for cleaning! :D

It's a SMALL washing machine tub, not the normal sized ones. It's only about half the diameter and 2/3 the depth of a normal washing machine tub.

That would do a bunch of brass ! I use 2 vibrating tumblers 1 big & 1 small. When my shot brass bucket is full it's time to clean sort brass. I used to just toss them all in together......the sticking of different sizes sucked so I sort now. I thought about putting the oxide in 1 but think it might stain the tumbler up a bunch. After I dry this batch I will try to clean the plastic tub up. That black sticks to everything about like graphite. After a rinsing I don't know how much acid is still in the oxide. So I really don't want acid on my brass. The oxide is cheap to buy in bulk but recycling it is better & interesting to do. That way I have more money in my buy things fund ! lol Speaking of buy things ......I went to an auction yesterday walked around & hoped back in the truck & came home. No treasures to be found in that pile of stuff.  I used the saved time to stretch the cover on the truck & the rest of the day stuffing my face & watching old movies. Today is another auction so here I go again.....already have my cooler packed with Pepsi so I'm ready to shop.
    I now have EVERYTHING on hand or on order for the 10-22 build EXCEPT the stock. I'll do that order last, when I need it. That SS fluted barrel I just got from Green Mountain is drop dead sexy! :D
     Don't know what type/brand of vibratory tumbler you have, but you can buy replacement tubs for most of them. I have a few spares for doing stuff that I don't want my brass in after they've been used for something else. Like using one for crushing dry chemicals to a fine powder for 'experimental and educational purposes only'. :# :D

My big one is a Dillon & the small one is a midway. The midway would be sacrificed to science before the Dillon . I will check & see what the cost of a replacement tub would be.
    The 10-22 project sounds like it is on its way ........just add frustration & more money & you will have it done ! Gun building is not for the faint of heart !  And if you start with money it will soon take it away ! lol

Was looking for a replacement tub for the midway tumbler last night .......there is a recall on the 1292. I bought that many years ago .....so I will call them today & see what the deal is & what a replacement costs for the tub.
    I called Midway & yes there is a recall on my tumbler.
    Here is a plan ......the tumbler works well so why not use it to crush up the black oxide then clean it up & send it in & get a brand new one . Will have both problems solved at the same time ! No worries of contamination of my brass with a new tumbler. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Put the oxide in the tumbler ........yes it does stain plastic. The inside of the tub looks like it was blued. The way it looks I could just rub this on guns & not set up the hot tanks ! lol Kinda strange that it stuck to the inside of the bowel but not the outside or the lid. That just wipes off.Only a few more pounds to clean & crush & off the tumbler goes . I was really surprised how nice Midway was about the recall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file