A/C brand opinions needed, please.

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 1,415 Senior Member
As I have posted elsewhere, I need a new home hvac.  It's NG heat. My a/c guy has recommended a Goodman brand 5 ton unit. He says that' what he would install in his house. Says parts.are quick and easy to get. 

I know a couple of you are in the business, so I would really like to bear your opinions. 

Replies

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,429 Senior Member

I have a Carrier unit at the house. It does fine in the GA heat and is energy efficient.

"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,712 Senior Member
    I have heard they work, but not the best brand by far. AC guys told me yes they don't have proprietary parts and are available everywhere, but they would use another brand.

I'm no expert, but IMHO I'd pick another brand. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    You are making a big investment, spend a bit more if you can and get something a couple notches up.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    edited May 2 #5
    https://www.furnacecompare.com/air-conditioners/goodman/reviews/

Of course other places recommend them as affordable easy to repair units, depends on where you look.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,424 Senior Member
    I’m NOT an a/c expert.  My in-laws Trane unit has been running trouble free for 18 years.  They have a great reputation here in my development to the point real estate folks point them out as a feature when you shop for homes and coastal NC is TOUGH on units.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,829 Senior Member
    You may have read about the fiasco I went through recently.

A different company suggested Goodman, I did some research and on multiple places they had a 50-75% "would NOT recommend" rating.

I decided to go with a different brand.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,050 Senior Member
    I have no idea where you live but my recommendation would be a brand of equipment that is well supported where you live. Looking for a specific brand that works well somewhere else but has no dealers in your area may not get you reliable service down the road. As has been mentioned before, a well installed low end unit will work better and be more reliable than a poorly installed high end unit. It's kind of tough to make a recommendation for a specific brand because the quality and reliability of the different brands changes every few years as manufacturers try to keep up with the constantly changing federal efficiency guidelines. As others had mentioned, I would avoid Goodman. Goodman used to be sold under the brand of Janitrol and was commonly referred to as "Janijunk". Most of them are actually made in Texas but they've always been a budget unit and don't hold up as long as many other brands do. One other thing I will point out is that if your house was ducted properly, you can't just put a bigger system in without enlarging the ductwork. A residential system needs 400cfm of air per ton at a specific amount of static pressure to work properly and the air return requires certain amount of area to make things work properly. With that big of an increase in system size, there is a bit more to it than just cutting another tap into the existing trunk.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,785 Senior Member
    I'm on my 18th year with a 4 ton Comfort Maker. I've had one freon leak fixed, a couple years ago, and had the squirrel cage replaced on the blower.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    We replaced our unit a few years ago with a Lennox. It is very quiet and electric bill went down at least 15% during summer months
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    bisley said:
    I'm on my 18th year with a 4 ton Comfort Maker. I've had one freon leak fixed, a couple years ago, and had the squirrel cage replaced on the blower.

When I co-owned a larger company and did a lot of new construction installs, we probably put in thousands of Rheem systems and I even installed one in my house and in just over 18 years, I had to replace a condenser fan motor about six years ago and a capacitor last year but the quality of Rheem changed over the years and I would not consider another one.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,587 Senior Member
    Had a Lennox that lasted seven years before it self destructed, same installer recommended the Goodman and it's lasted twice as long as the Lennox did, still going strong. I'd say trust your installer, and do proper maintenance and they will last  a long time!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,393 Senior Member
    I have 2 Carrier units. One for the main house of 1950 Sq,Ft. and another unit for the 650 Sq.Ft. apartment my step-son lives in. Both units have needed repairs for leaks in the systems and both needed capacitor boosters to keep the compressors running. The smaller unit had the compressor replaced 2 years ago and the larger one is still running without replacement.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    edited May 2 #14
    I'm reading this with interest. Goodman is panned by a lot of people, deservedly so or not I have no idea. The house here in Fl. has a Goodman that was installed in 2002, so it makes me a bit nervous - but it works well enough. Had to have the compressor motor changed under the home warranty though. *shrug*

We also had a Carrier in one of our rentals that was nothing but a PITA, and it got changed out - to a Goodman. Another Carrier in another rental had to have the outside unit changed when we bought the place. The contractor building those particular condos apparently got fed up with Carrier and switched to Trane. True or not, I dunno...

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,415 Senior Member
    I appreciate everyone's comments.

Fishhead- I'm in North central MS. And I'm glad you mentioned the ductwork and return air. I'll certainly ask him about that.

My wife sent me a link to a review site and Goodman did NOT have a good rating. However, I remembered this morning that I have cousin in the business(otj trained). I asked him this morning and he recmmended
     Trane but said Goodman was ok.

I looked on the internet today and found both good and bad reviews.  I trust my a/C guy. He' been in business for years and does work all over the area. He says he would put one in his house. He uses Goodman because he can get parts quickly and price.He's always been fair with me. He installed my Dad's Goodman unit 3-5 yrs ago and no problems so far. 

I think I'll talk to him again about the ductwork and reviews. Then the boss and I will make a decision. 

It would certainly be cheaper to install a new attic fan and forget about the a.c.. However, I think I'd regret it about July. If I made it that long!!
    I have no idea where you live but my recommendation would be a brand of equipment that is well supported where you live. Looking for a specific brand that works well somewhere else but has no dealers in your area may not get you reliable service down the road.

As has been mentioned before, a well installed low end unit will work better and be more reliable than a poorly installed high end unit.

That's virtually word for word from several websites I read today. Good advice.

It's kind of tough to make a recommendation for a specific brand because the quality and reliability of the different brands changes every few years as manufacturers try to keep up with the constantly changing federal efficiency guidelines. As others had mentioned, I would avoid Goodman. Goodman used to be sold under the brand of Janitrol and was commonly referred to as "Janijunk". Most of them are actually made in Texas but they've always been a budget unit and don't hold up as long as many other brands do. One other thing I will point out is that if your house was ducted properly, you can't just put a bigger system in without enlarging the ductwork. A residential system needs 400cfm of air per ton at a specific amount of static pressure to work properly and the air return requires certain amount of area to make things work properly. With that big of an increase in system size, there is a bit more to it than just cutting another tap into the existing trunk.

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 314 Member
    I quit installing Train about 25 years ago because of problems I have done Goodman since then and will keep installing them
    gunner81 said:
    I quit installing Train about 25 years ago because of problems I have done Goodman since then and will keep installing them
    Could you elaborate on the problems you've had with "Train"?
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,765 Senior Member
    I have been around them all. Carrier units use to last 30 years. Now 12 to 15. Trane spends a lot on marketing but are no better. I despise working on them even though I do. I have installed several different brands and realized they are all basically the same. Google parts and where they come from. Sad to say they are getting just like refrigerators, dishwashers, washers etc. They are disposable. For what they cost they should last at least 20 years. Sadly they won't.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    And that kind of nonsense PISSES ME OFF!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 314 Member
    Most of the issues I had with Trane were parts not being available and it seemed I did a lot more repair work on the Trane units. They all will need repaired sometime but for the money in my opinion Goodman is a good unit. I have people question me about Goodman and my answer to them is that it doesn't pay for me to install bad equipment because I have to go back and fix it
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 577 Senior Member
    Ok, I have been out of town for a few days on business and just found this thread and decided I had better comment.  First, my credentials:  I have been employed in the HVAC industry for 26 years.  My experience ranges from commercial refrigeration technician to wholesale distributor management to my current position as a technical service adviser/technical trainer for the world's largest HVAC manufacturer's North American division.  Trane is not the quality product it used to be.  They started going downhill when bought out by Ingersoll-Rand.  More money is now spent on marketing instead of product development.  Carrier owns Comfort Maker, Tempstar, Arco Aire, Payne, Day and Night, Heil and KeepRite.  The only difference between those brands is marketing.  At different points in my career I have sold both Tempstar and Comfort Maker.  They are decent products, but Carrier has moved virtually all of their manufacturing to Mexico.  At another time in my career I sold Ruud, which is owned by Rheem.  I have a Ruud system in my house which I (personally) installed 18 years ago.  Another decent brand.  Goodman has come a very long way since the "Jani-junk" days.  The main reason they have less than stellar reviews is this:  As the lowest cost brand available, they are the number one choice of fly by night contractors.  Choosing the contractor is a far more important decision than the brand of equipment.  A properly installed Goodman will work properly and last far longer than an improperly installed Carrier, Trane, Lennox, (insert brand here).  An improperly installed Goodman will give you grief just like any other brand.  Just to be transparent, I will reveal something I have avoided mentioning until now.  My employer is the Japanese company that purchased Goodman in 2012.  While Goodman had already made enormous progress in quality before that purchase happened, much has changed for the better since that happened.  Rather than moving production from the existing manufacturing locations in Houston to overseas locations, my employer spent half a billion dollars building a brand new, state of the art 4.2 million square foot manufacturing and distribution facility in Waller, TX just northwest of Houston.  That is 94 acres under one roof, all of it air conditioned for employee comfort.  The (now) parent company of Goodman is a very high end, very technologically advanced HVAC manufacturer. My area of specialty is some of their most technologically advanced products.  Quality control and company reputation are very important to them.  I know this because as part of tech services I am up to my eyeballs in quality control.  My department is responsible for supporting products of the parent company, not the Goodman products, but I am privy to a lot of internal information on both.  Just to reiterate, the most important decision you can make is selecting a quality contractor.  If you get that decision right, you should be fine no matter what brand is installed.
    I really appreciate everyones comments.  I'm going with a 5 ton Goodman. I trust the installer. He came back and ck'd the ductwork and said it would be fine. He hopes to get started Monday. I hope I made the right choice.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,785 Senior Member
    10canyon53 said:Just to reiterate, the most important decision you can make is selecting a quality contractor.  If you get that decision right, you should be fine no matter what brand is installed.
    ^THIS^

The guy who installed my Comfort Maker in 2000 went bald and raised a family before I had him out for my first service call. He still remembered my particular installation and has serviced a couple more times since the first service call. I have always taken his advice and never been unhappy for doing so. When I replace this unit, I will go with whatever he recommends, most likely.
    Make sure they match your thermostat to your unit. In TX in rent duplexs the owners had new digital ones installed that weren't matched and had to have them all replaced because they were off and the ACs ran too much and everybody's bills skyrocketed.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,293 Senior Member
    We are on year 18 with the 2 units, a 3 ton and a 1.5 ton I think. ours are RUUD,  The inlaws have Trane and it has served them well for a lot of years now.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Well, new unit is installed and working. Hadn't gotten the bill yet. I'll let y'all know how to get to my GoFundMe page when I get it setup. 

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,293 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    Well, new unit is installed and working. Hadn't gotten the bill yet. I'll let y'all know how to get to my GoFundMe page when I get it setup. 

So whatcha get?
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I got a 5 ton Goodman. Still haven' t gotten a bill. I tried to call him Tuesday. Got a recording saying his mailbox was full and couldn' t leave a message. I texted him saying I wanted to.settle up. Haven't heard a word. When he wants his money he'll call me.

I noticed something strange about this new unit: Wednesday it would run for 10 minutes then stop for 10 minutes. Run 10 stop for 10. It did that from 5:44 to 8:15. I logged the times. Haven't kept up with it since.

It's been tempting to set up a GoFundMe acct to see what happens. Unfortunately I have too much pride.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 577 Senior Member

Don't get hung up on the cycle times, that can be normal under some load conditions.  However, if it never runs longer than 10 min. and it starts getting humid in the house, you may have too large of a system.

This may sound stupid, but, how do I tell if it's too humid inside? 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file