A productive day... and a tired thumb (Hey Linefinder)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 16,812 Senior Member
I am shooting more 223 than I have in a WHILE, so I broke out my last, unopened, box of new LC-06 brass that I bought 6-7 years ago when I found it on sale CHEAP.  Primed all 500 (of actually 502) with Fed 205 primers.

Then, I primed 100 AA (Lapua) 6.5 Grendel cases with Wolf SR primers.

All the cases were primed with my old style LEE Auto-prime. The LC/Fed combo was a LOT easier to prime than the AA/Wolf.

600 cases with a thumb powered priming tool. I bet you can understand why my thumb's tired
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,691 Senior Member
    You are a better man than me using yer thumb to seat primers Wow emoticon

Seriously, I know the feeling, but it makes the rest mo easy after the case prep and priming is done when you do it in big batches.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    You are lucky to have had new LC brass because if not, removing that military crimp on primer pockets is a must before seating new primers. Only have to do it once, though.

I've seen them staked a little with little tic marks, pinched or compressed to keep them primers in place to survive rough handling and use in military weapons. Sometimes a primer sealant was used.

They come out easy enough though when you de-prime. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,007 Senior Member
    Hat's off to you. I did about half of that once....never again. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,812 Senior Member
    The LC/Fed 205 wasn't bad at all.

Took some help from my other thumb on the AA brass. I also did it last, so thumb was kinda tired.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,584 Senior Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,835 Senior Member
    edited May 8 #7
    I haven't used anything else but the Lee Priming tool in over 30 years. I never did like the priming tool built into my RCBS Presses I've owned. They're a good way to smash a primer. With the Lee you have a much better feel when the primer seats and you can back off. Makes for more consistent loads.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I got one of those. Haven't tried it out yet. Still using my RCBS hand primer. Ambidextrous so one hand doesn't get tired out. I like the feel of being able to feel when the primer seats.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,584 Senior Member
    I've been using it a couple years. The plastic part that holds the primer tray and feeds the primers broke, so I e mailed Lee and they sent both sizes, free, and said they changed the design and material used to make it. It did have an issue with the primer turning sideways, sometimes, and blocking the flow. The new design seem sto have fixed that problem!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,812 Senior Member
    I much prefer a small, convenient, hand held  one.

Some cable network was running a Star Trek marathon Saturday, and I did the 500 in the time it took to watch "IV, The Journey Home"

I use the auto-prime by hand and the one that fits on the Lee turret press to put primers in the sm or lg cup I'm using , a hand held RCBS (I only can find the small primer parts for it).

I see Lee has changed then again to that new triangular design for hand held and presses.

I like the RCBS the best of the hand held and it has a primer cut off slider on it.

I see the new Lee has a primer cutoff too.

https://leeprecision.com/safety-primer-feed-small-and-large.html

And a new Ergo-prime hand held one.

https://leeprecision.com/priming-tools/hand-priming-tool/  

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,067 Senior Member
    If you can  crush a primer in a reloading press, I suggest you keep rubber mallets and shop towels away from anvils. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file