S&W mdl 10s NY DOC turn ins at Classic Arms

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 30,691 Senior Member
If you been wanting one and need a good shooter I'd consider one of these.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/smith-wesson-m10-classic-38-spl-4-blued-doc-turn-in?_ke=bWFya0BhdW50aWUuY29t

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    oooh... need to go count the pennies in my change jar.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,691 Senior Member
    "Smith and Wesson Model 10 New York State Department of Corrections Turn-In Revolver with a leather holster and mag pouch. 38 SPecial 4" barrel, DOC Inventory disc affixed over the S&W logo. Solid NRA Good condition with Hand Select option getting you closer to Very Good. Various Model 10 types included, with a limited amount of +P rated with Pachmayr grips."

Where are our S&W experts that know more than I do about them (I know a little),

So what years did S&W make model 10s that were specifically rated for +P ammo? Or at a certain dash- change or were they all?

Even though most would say the models could all take +P, some said occasional +P ammo, but the famous phrase 'Not A Steady Diet' of +P is recommended in so many gun rags of the time.

Now, a 'Steady Diet' of hot .357s in model 13/19 and their ilk on the same K-frame is another story.......................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,176 Senior Member
    I purchased a model 15-4 from Florida DOC, little rough on the outside but a very good shooter. I think it was around
    $300 OTD. The model 10 is tempting, especially the 4" barrel verson
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,670 Senior Member
    Nice! If I didn't already have a very nice Security Six, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,463 Senior Member
    How ironic, the state of New York selling hand guns
    But i bet they are shooters
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 656 Senior Member
    Do they come with Hornady ammo?🐵
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,812 Senior Member
    OOS already
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    OOS already
    Yeah saw the same guns for $299 on another site and they were gone in hours.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,691 Senior Member
    Very popular .38s....................some probably bought to "Flip" by dealers and collectors. Not sure how much they could expect to get though after yet another 'Middleman' is involved.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    How ironic, the state of New York selling hand guns
    But i bet they are shooters
    Some of them probably don’t have 1000 rounds on them.   Do you think the New York Prison Guards actually spent much time on the range with them? 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,415 Senior Member
    Had a friend who was a firearms instructor for state employees.  They had to qualify (DoC) yearly.  He was in charge of ordering firearms stuff for the DoC.  When their requests came in it was for Nail Aprons (true story) so they didn't have to pick up brass...they emptied them in the aprons.  So I doubt the Model 10s got much use.  Most DoC employees don't carry guns at all.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,636 Senior Member
    They probably spent more time in an arms room than in actual use....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file