Air rifle/scope combo.

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 4,007 Senior Member
I'm interested in finding an air rifle/scope combo that'll deliver "half beer can" groups at 20 yards. My cheapie Crossman did that for quite a while before it destroyed a Leupold rifle scope. (Knew that was gonna happen eventually, but it happened a lot quicker than I expected). I want .177 caliber, and sub $300. Any pointers? Thanks in advance. Mike
Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
KSU Firefighter

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,067 Senior Member
    RWS 34 for a break barrel. A little more than the Asian guns, but worth the money.
    Don't get the plastic stock model like I did. It was meant for wood. The blueing rivals high end centerfire guns. 

Mines .22 caliber, .177 has a wider selection of pellets. Crossman Premiers work excellent in mine, and are cheap. 

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member
    I'm interested in finding an air rifle/scope combo that'll deliver "half beer can" groups at 20 yards. My cheapie Crossman did that for quite a while before it destroyed a Leupold rifle scope. (Knew that was gonna happen eventually, but it happened a lot quicker than I expected). I want .177 caliber, and sub $300. Any pointers? Thanks in advance. Mike
    That bar is not too high.  Just about every air gun I've fired can do that.  They are all surprisingly accurate.  IIRC Gamos come with a lifetime warranty, or they used to.  It's been a while since I shopped them.  They are a great way to practice offhand shooting too!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,466 Senior Member

.38 air rifle, sounds like a good project for a Moderator.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    At the NRA convention, I got to shoot one of those high end air rifles.  Wow, I had no idea that an air rifle could be that accurate.  I am pretty sure it had a Hawke Scope on it.

https://www.airgundepot.com/hawke-scopes.html

Btw - won’t Leupold help you out with repairs?

If/when you google them, keep in mind one of the "gold standard" triggers is found on the RWS. 
    Also keep in mind, hard core air gunners don't know shineola from the other stuff about what makes a good trigger. 
    Yes, the trigger on my 34 is fine. Just loooong travel. But a Timney it is not. 

Mines minute of walnut at 25 yards (plus on a good day) with open sights. 
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    If it were me buying a new one it would be a Benjamin 397 manually pumped rifle. You have variable power, it WON'T eat a scope, scope mounts are available, and it has a decent trigger. They are accurate with the right pellets, too.

https://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-397

I have a couple of Crosman 140 .22 cal. variable pump rifles, one of which is about 60 years old and still works just fine. I have a scope mounted on the newer one, and it's pretty accurate at 30-40 yards.
    That Benjamin is my suggestion. No bells and whistles, just a good solid air rifle.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

tennmike said:
    If it were me buying a new one it would be a Benjamin 397 manually pumped rifle. You have variable power, it WON'T eat a scope, scope mounts are available, and it has a decent trigger. They are accurate with the right pellets, too.

https://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-397

I have a couple of Crosman 140 .22 cal. variable pump rifles, one of which is about 60 years old and still works just fine. I have a scope mounted on the newer one, and it's pretty accurate at 30-40 yards.
    That Benjamin is my suggestion. No bells and whistles, just a good solid air rifle.
    1. Pumping sucks balls.  
    2. The "scope mount"? I could do better with hose clamps. 
    3. The trigger is HIDEOUS. The news ones AINT the same as the old ones. 
    4. Pumping sucks balls. 
    Zee
    cpj said:
    1. Pumping sucks balls.  
    2. The "scope mount"? I could do better with hose clamps. 
    3. The trigger is HIDEOUS. The news ones AINT the same as the old ones. 
    4. Pumping sucks balls. 
    Soooooooooooooooo.........................you don't like manual pumping? Sounds like a case of being lazy. :D
    I BUILT similar scope mounts for my Crosman air rifle and they work just fine, and have for over 20 years.
    The trigger isn't a 2 oz. Timney. That's a given. Can you hit what you're shooting at with it? Yeah. Until you get into the $700+ air rifles, the triggers pretty much don't make you smile.
    You don't like manual pumping. Sounds like a personal problem, and that's not my problem. :)

Pumping blows goats. Especially on that particular gun. I've shot easily 100 plus rounds in a sitting, you'd be dead if you pumped that Benjamin/Sheridan 800 times. 
    The best would be a pre charged pneumatic. But those are big bucks. Actually the guns are bad. But buying a scuba tank, then getting it filled is spendy. Buying a high pressure electric powered pump would be best, but also expensive. 
    I've got a CO2 gun that I love, but then I get free CO2 refills from work. 
    Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    I am a big fan of my Gamo "Whisper Cat" spring piston gun that I bought off Woot for $70 a few years ago.  has an integral suppressor, came with an airgun rated scope, and the trigger is not horrible. 
    https://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=321

It is pretty accurate at 'across the yard' distances.  Been a while since I shot it for groups, but I'll put that on the agenda for this week.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Although... If I was buying one right now, it would be really hard not to buy this for the full auto giggle factor:
    https://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/dpms-sbr-full-auto-black-1

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,007 Senior Member
    I am a big fan of my Gamo "Whisper Cat" spring piston gun that I bought off Woot for $70 a few years ago.  has an integral suppressor, came with an airgun rated scope, and the trigger is not horrible. 
    https://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=321

It is pretty accurate at 'across the yard' distances.  Been a while since I shot it for groups, but I'll put that on the agenda for this week.

I think you just put me exactly where I want to be. One question....I don't want a "sonic crack". How is it in that department? Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    There's one thing about break barrel rifles that will eventually show up with use. The barrel will loosen up over time and not lock up tight. That ain't good for accuracy.
    If you are going for spring air, this under lever with rigid mounted barrel might be a better choice for long term. It's near the upper end of your price range, and it has the same suppressor as the break barrel rifle.

https://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?product=ACCU177&productID=572

This won't get used much. Maybe 50 shots for sight in, because that's fun. after that, maybe 30 shots a year, if it's accurate.
    KSU Firefighter
    This won't get used much. Maybe 50 shots for sight in, because that's fun. after that, maybe 30 shots a year, if it's accurate.
    No more use than that and it should last a LONG time! I have two break barrel action rifles, one .22 and one .177 cal, that have the floppy barrel syndrome. I 'shot the snot' out of them for around 10 years when I was 'existing' in Soddy-Daisy, TN. They went from fine 40 yard rifles to maybe on a good day 20 yard rifles. And they weren't el Cheapo rifles, either. I gave around two Benjamins for each one in 1983. For me in 1983 that was a major purchase; you could buy a decent bolt action centerfire rifle for that much back then.

you do get a sonic crack if you use the lightweight pellets.  SOMETIMES you get them with regular lead pellets, but not usually

-Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,415 Senior Member

Several years ago, Shotgun News had an article comparing air rifles.  In the top few was the Chinese gun.  Ugly, but pretty accurate.  I don't know if you can mount a scope on one, or don't remember if they did in the article.  And cheap.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

25ish yard 3 shot group with junk pellets and resting against the doorframe to the back yard

i was aiming at the circle with the box in it. Guess I need to adjust the scope
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member

25ish yard 3 shot group with junk pellets and resting against the doorframe to the back yard

i was aiming at the circle with the box in it. Guess I need to adjust the scope
    Ya’think? :D

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I guess they don't make the whisper cat anymore. I bought the whisper wildcat. Wow...this ain't the pellet rifle of your childhood. 22 cal at 950ish is pretty potent. Really loud, too. Not quite what I was hoping for. Excellent quality, accurate, but only slightly quieter than a 22 rimfire. If you're looking for discrete, this ain't it. Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    I guess they don't make the whisper cat anymore. I bought the whisper wildcat. Wow...this ain't the pellet rifle of your childhood. 22 cal at 950ish is pretty potent. Really loud, too. Not quite what I was hoping for. Excellent quality, accurate, but only slightly quieter than a 22 rimfire. If you're looking for discrete, this ain't it. Mike
    Spring guns are far from quiet. My first time hearing one was in Bass Pro shop. I was fondling one, and they had the trigger lock loosely attached. It slid against the trigger. I got some strange (more so than usual) looks. 
    Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,766 Senior Member
    edited May 13 #23
    According to a you tube test at the link below:

CCI .22 CB short is quieter than .177 lead or fiber bullet, from a Savage 22" single shot and a Ruger 10/22 18". Velocity through a chrony using the Savage, at about 10 feet, is 614 fps, bullet weight is 30.5 grains. This round loses velocity through a longer barrel, a little under 50 fps higher from the 661 fps from an 18" barreled Ruger 10/22 . So, you can get a calculated 29.6 ft/lbs of energy against the 13 ft/lbs from the .177 pellets.

The pellets were fired from a Gamo Shadow break-barrel. The lead pellet was noticeably louder with a 7.5 grain lead pellet @ 892 fps. The fiber pellet was the loudest, @ 1083 fps and super-sonic. Both pellets calculated about the same energy (~13 ft/lbs), despite the much higher velocity of the 5 grain fiber type pellet.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=22+CB+Shorts+On+Animals&&view=detail&mid=F812C0346CB365C263F4F812C0346CB365C263F4&&FORM=VRDGAR

Buy a 10/22, I think, if you don't have one. It won't cycle, but you still have the equivalent of a straight-pull bolt action. CCI .22 CB shorts cost about $7-8 per 100 at Sportsman's Warehouse, online. Accuracy was best from the 18" barrel, though the pellets were pretty accurate also. Distance was 25 yards.

I popped it inside the house before I loaded it for the first time. "Wow....hopefully the hardwood floors amplified the noise". Nope...I fired it out the back door from 10 feet inside the house and my wife, in the front yard said it sounded like a rifle going off. Our house and lot isn't exactly small. This isn't going quite like I had hoped. I may mount the airgun rated scope on the old Crossman pumpgun. Not much use in owning a race car when you live in a school zone.
    KSU Firefighter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file