Reloading gurus, 44 special loads.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 5,145 Senior Member
Ok gents. I have a supply of .440 swedged roundballs. My brain kicked in while I was loading some 45-70. I belled a 44 special case to accept the .440 RB and used the pin in he expanded die to seat the RB to just over half then applied a good roll crimp. So that will work great now I just need to come up with a load. A .440 round ball weighs 128 grains.  Unique will be the powder, so what is a good starting load you think? 
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 656 Senior Member
    Ten grains.
    Just kidding!

5 or 6 would light up a 45acp 200-230 gr bullet. I wonder if you could reduce that by a couple grains?????
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member
    I used to make loads like that for my Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt for practicing SASS shooting years ago.  They are useless at distance but shoot well enough (and they are a hoot) at less than ten yards.  I can't remember how much powder I used but I think my starting point was a 148 gr. target wadcutter load for a .38.  Some manuals have actual loads for those RBs.  I'm thinking RCBS?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member
    Oh, if you go too low, they will bind up the cylinder in some guns.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    I bet 3.5 grains of unique would do the trick. I may have to load a few to give them a go. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,067 Senior Member
    Fill case to base of bullet with trail boss. Subtract 20% and bobs your uncle. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,691 Senior Member
    .44 Special/ Mag are .429 jacketed and .430 lead nominally............using a .440 ball a lot of swagging will be going on to get them outta the cylinder chambers and into the forcing cone down the bore. Not sayin it will hurt anything, but you will have a clean up chore after firing, I imagine.

They had some 'Multi Ball' loads for .38 and .357 years ago. I had a 20 rd box and it was marked for Law Enforcement Only, wonder why? Not very effective they said. You could shoot a bullseye target at 25 yards and see 2 holes separated by a couple inches. The balls were probably the same diameter as lead bullets for that caliber.

Some of the older Shooter's Bibles and/ or Gun Digest had articles on loading them years ago.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Fill case to base of bullet with trail boss. Subtract 20% and bobs your uncle. 
    Bingo.  Trail Boss is made for stuff like this.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file