Future Tomahawk Project.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,073 Senior Member
I have ordered these two CRKT Hawks.

They should be here next week. 

My my plan is to turn them into something similar to these. 

I welcome all tool and process recommendations. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,188 Senior Member
    edited May 12 #2

Saints preserve us, the (wee) Vikings are coming.

PS.
    Don't forget to copyright your photos.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    Interesting project, I have the second of those two, might be fun to embellish it so.

Sako 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    The one on the stump looks much like the War Hammer a co-worker took a hog with.
    I can not offer any advice, but look forward to following your project.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    To get that coating off the blades, an angle grinder with a cup steel wire brush would be your friend. And a good vise to hold the tomahawk head in while doing it. Safety glasses and a heavy shop apron to catch the inevitable wires from the brush that come out at warp velocity.

For the blade embelishments a 12" rat tail file and a 9" triangular file, AMERICAN MADE files, will fill the bill. Get a stick of sidewalk chalk to chalk the file teeth with to prevent filings building up in the file teeth and making nasty cuts and gouges on the metal. And old toothbrush to clean out file teeth occasionally, then re-chalk and continue.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 675 Senior Member
    The handles are tapered. That's one reason why the finished ones are wraped beneath the axe heads.

I'd google museum specimens, if that's possible. Carefull analysis may be helpful.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,651 Senior Member
    They are great Hawks to start with, particularly good throwing Hawks...it will be interesting to see your modifications...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,482 Senior Member
    Is this for fun or for daily load out? I keep looking at one, but I would like someone to do some one on one training with an example, I always gave up on hatchets and switched to an axe back in the day when I was using those tools more regularly.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,073 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Is this for fun or for daily load out?
    Yes. 
    shush said:

Saints preserve us, the (wee) Vikings are coming.

Better wear steel toe boots. We’ll chop yer toes off!!
    sakodude said:
    Interesting project, I have the second of those two, might be fun to embellish it so.

Sako 
    How do you like it so far?
    tennmike said:
    For the blade embelishments a 12" rat tail file and a 9" triangular file, AMERICAN MADE files, will fill the bill. Get a stick of sidewalk chalk to chalk the file teeth with to prevent filings building up in the file teeth and making nasty cuts and gouges on the metal. And old toothbrush to clean out file teeth occasionally, then re-chalk and continue.
    Thanks!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,482 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Is this for fun or for daily load out?
    Yes. 

Please report back your co-workers and supervisers comments to your kit addition.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Ha!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    Hmmm ... hope about a swine report? You’ve take one with about everything else  >:)
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR said:
    Hmmm ... hope about a swine report? You’ve take one with about everything else  >:)
    If I can use a tire iron.........I could use a tomahawk. I guess. 
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,101 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    To get that coating off the blades, an angle grinder with a cup steel wire brush would be your friend. And a good vise to hold the tomahawk head in while doing it. Safety glasses and a heavy shop apron to catch the inevitable wires from the brush that come out at warp velocity.

Good luck finding American made files, but one can at least get an American named file. Good one side are rumored to come from Switzerland I believe it is. When I looked them up they were like $30 though.  
    Skip the toothbrush and get a proper file card, or a fairly fine bristle metal brush works. But for sure the chalk. 
    A torch for burning your hands when you think you want to burn the wood for decoration. That's just me, I despise that. It's from having to look at, and hold my tongue about, some douche in law who used a torch to "decorate " the equally crappy furniture he made from crappy grades of pine. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,475 Senior Member
    Looks like a fun project. I wouldn't do wood burning ......in my mind looks cheap. No offense to those who like that. Putting in inlays & wrapping with leather would look nicer. ( in my mind ) After shaping the blade the way you want you could  do some blueing to it & to break up the black do so etching in tribe designs. Nice coat of clear .....ok maybe I'm going to far ! lol
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,078 Senior Member
    I am very interested in doing the same.  Will watch with interest
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,895 Senior Member
    For metal finish removal I really like a right angle die grinder and Roloc sanding pads. Faster than a wire wheel and no chunks to stick in your shirt. 

Of course you need an air compressor big enough to run the die grinder and you can really remove some metal if you get carried away. 
    A left angle die grinder will work in a pinch, you just have to hold it upside down. 

I have ave a Cold Steel TrailHawk that I really enjoy. A ‘hawk is a more useful tool than I would have guessed before I got mine. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 349 Member
    I don’t know squat about knives or blades in general and surely not the steel it’s made of but I’m assuming it’s hardened. Will a file even touch that?
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,895 Senior Member
    I don’t know squat about knives or blades in general and surely not the steel it’s made of but I’m assuming it’s hardened. Will a file even touch that?
    A file will definitely remove metal. Edged impact tools are not nearly as hard as a knife. Usually hammers, axes, tomahawks are made from a lower carbon steel. That is what keeps them from cracking and breaking. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    sakodude said:

Sako 
    to be honest it has not seen much use. my brother bought 2 and gave me one. We practiced throwing them a bit and were not that great at it. Mine lives with the knife collection now and his splits kindling wood.

Sako
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,424 Senior Member
    I bought the bottom one with exactly the same idea but since my work bench is still a mess and most of my tools still packed I have not done anything to it.  A lot of folks will tell you not to use a Dremel for filework on knives and such.  I’ve used it with very good results a bunch of times.  You have to work carefully but it’s not that big a deal.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,424 Senior Member
    Many large knives and tomahawks are only edge hardened to avoid them shattering when they strike hard things.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Good luck finding American made files, but one can at least get an American named file. Good one side are rumored to come from Switzerland I believe it is. When I looked them up they were like $30 though.  
    Skip the toothbrush and get a proper file card, or a fairly fine bristle metal brush works. But for sure the chalk. 
    A torch for burning your hands when you think you want to burn the wood for decoration. That's just me, I despise that. It's from having to look at, and hold my tongue about, some douche in law who used a torch to "decorate " the equally crappy furniture he made from crappy grades of pine. 
    A 'hard grade toothbrush works just fine; so does a brass or stainless steel 'toothbrush' brush. File cards are just fine but they aren't really necessary. :)

Wrapping the handle with some 0000 steel wool soaked in vinegar will do some nice coloring on a handle that isn't varnished or otherwise finished with something to seal the wood pores. Try it on a piece of scrap wood first to see if the effect suits you, and don't let the vinegar and steel wool anywhere near any metal.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,651 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    Zee said:
    sakodude said:

Sako 
    to be honest it has not seen much use. my brother bought 2 and gave me one. We practiced throwing them a bit and were not that great at it. Mine lives with the knife collection now and his splits kindling wood.

Sako
    It's not all that hard to throw a hawk.... don't flip or snap your wrist when you release...and you have to figure out how many times your hawk rotates in a given distance.....mine was about 7 paces, give or take depending on which hawk I was throwing.  One of mine had quite an up-sweep on the top of the blade so even a miscalculation would stick...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,101 Senior Member
    It's a BLAST to throw hawks. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • coolwhipcoolwhip New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    I have several hawks and pointy staby things. favorite by far is a the swannee throwing hawk by hb forge beautiful hand made work of art made to be used ! can't say enough about them, check them out.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 675 Senior Member
    When I was a kid, I loved when Fess Parker split the tree with his axe during the Daniel Boone intro.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    Being an Un-Thor puny guy, the ones with the hammer head are extra weight I wouldn't want to do anything other than split wood with.  My ideal would be the top 'hawk in your first pic with a flat surface for hammering on the back, but not with the extended hammer head that's got to be adding 3-5 ounces - if such a thing is an option.

Are we about to be treated to a photo of a faceless guy in a loincloth?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file