Strange load results.

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,008 Senior Member
edited May 14 in General Firearms #1
Stell Challange has no minimum power factor.  A lot of guys will load 115 gr loads very lightly.   I've been trying some 100 gr 380 bullets and loading in 9mm cases with 3gr of titegroup.  Very light load and it cycles my PCC just fine but my M&P pistol becomes a single shot.  It has a 13 lb sprïng on it.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,812 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #2
    And this is strange why?

Case is under pressure longer with the longer barrel, so it has more time to transfer momentum to the bolt of the PCC, PLUS, I suspect the PCC bolt weighs less than the pistol's slide.

When I first got my G19, the handloads I had on hand had been loaded to just barely cycle my S&W 669. They turned my Glock into a single shot.

Since the M&P apparently needs a heavier load than the PCC, you can either stock two loads, or work up to the minimum to function in the M&P and then use that load in both
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,124 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #3
    You can also try a lighter spring and if it's still a single shot, you should work up your load a little more until it cycles reliably.

gunsprings.com

"Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,008 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #4
    PCC bolt is very heavy.  I dropped it on my ankle once, trust me it's heavy. It is heavier than the pistol slide.  I don't know the buffer spring weight though.  The pistol has a 5 lb less than stock spring (13 vs18).  The M&P is picky with light loads.  I had to go through 3 different powders speeds to get a consistent light (130pf) load to work consistently before settling on AA#7 which is med. to slow burning so what you say makes sense about barrel length.  Pistol is on the shelf till my red dot gets back from vortex anyhow.  I do have an 11 lb spring I could try but the slides rattles with it in.  No biggie, it fires fine.  Needs a stiffer trigger return spring to run that spring and the 13 lb one gets me the pf I want.  Lots of other pistols I can use for Steel Challenge.  Gonna shoot my 22/45 lite and PCC next two weekends.

What power factor are you aiming for on the 9mm?

I still believe if you just work up from 3.0 grains of Titegroup (3.2, 3.4, 3.6,...) you'll find something that works in both.
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
    edited May 15 #6
    I'm not trying for PF.  This load is for Steel Challange which has no minimum PF.  Hence the use of 100 gr bullets, I want that lightest recoil I can get and still cycle the gun.  Pistol would not even eject the case so it's not even close.  I'll just use it for PCC now.

..., I want that lightest recoil I can get and still cycle the gun.
    I still think if you just work up from 3.0 grains of Titegroup (3.2, 3.4, 3.6,...) you'll find something that works in both.

A slow work up isn't going to adversely affect you PCC performance and you might even find that you M&P likes it also. You can fine tune later. (narrow it down to 3.1, 3.3, or 3.5)

I do have an 11 lb spring I could try but the slides rattles with it in.  No biggie, it fires fine.

Try the lighter spring. If you do need a stiffer trigger return for that 11# spring then you already know what you need.

Load up some ammo and hit the range.

edited May 15 #8
    I'm sure I could since the min. listed load is 4.7 gr.  Titegroup is a pretty fast burning powder and that gun/spring combo and fast powder don't go together well.  I tried with AA#2 and 5 and could not get reliable 130 PF loads.  AA#7 it runs 100% at 130 PF with 147 gr bullets.  Same with 124 gr.  I'll experiment more but it's a USPSA gun,  all of my development and mods for it were done with that in mind.  I'm happy with the load for PCC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file