45 Colt wheelgun on order

TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior MemberPosts: 5,732 Senior Member
I started a thread here back in December 2016 (I had go back and look) asking for help choosing a 45 Colt revolver to go with my Uberti 1873 carbine. Needless to say, I labored over the decision a bit. Well...I got side tracked by a 1911 and a couple bolt gun acquisitions. But the gun fund was re-stocked and I was feeling the itch.

Decided the best revolver to go with a Uberti rifle was a Uberti revolver. Spaghetti western it is! Stock image til the real thing arrives.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,719 Senior Member
    Looks good, Congrats.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,657 Senior Member
    Fine shooting iron...it will serve you well...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,019 Senior Member
    They have nice triggers.  Congrats.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 683 Senior Member
    Nice!
    I love the kerthunk of big 45's being dropped into the chambers. You should get the four audible clicks savored from your favorite westerns when you cock it.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,478 Senior Member
    Very nice
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,366 Senior Member
    Very nice....a 45 colt wheel gun is on my someday list.
    High enough I have ammo already.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 282 Member
    Very cool indeed! A nice appropriate belt for it.....? I have a taste for classic Western also. Congrats, you suck!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    45 Cold in a wheel gun is nice------much better in a SA tan a DA
    I have a need for speed
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,961 Senior Member
    Don't try and hotrod it and it will last a long time. 255 grains kept to 900fps will probably be its sweet spot. 

The Italian guns are well made, but like everything, they can be improved. But then, so can Colts!!!

I found my mainspring in the Colt broke at the point where the screw secures it to the butt of the frame. This is a weak spot. An "Old-Timer" told me a remedy. Cut a soft leather (thin) bushing to fit between the mainspring and the frame and drill a hole for the screw. (It's easier if you drill the hole first and then cut the bushing). Did this and never broke another spring on the Colt or my Cimarron.

Another weak spot is the three prong spring that sits under the trigger guard. These are the bolt and trigger return springs. Not much you can do here, except to have a spare on hand. My Colt never broke, but one of the prongs broke on my Cimarron. They are cheap and quick and easy to replace. 

These guns are sweet. This group is only 10 yards, but it's unsupported and only using the right hand. Those old cowboys never learned to use two hands. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    900 FPS is plenty pushing a 255 grain slug and can handle just about any situation you find yourself confronted with, unless you are hunting large animals like a hog or bear and then either get a Ruger Blackhawk or a Magnum. Keeps the pressure around 13000-14000 psi at a tier one load level and is safe for all modern .45 Colt revolvers in good working condition.

Fun at the range too. Almost all my .45 Colt loads are at about that level, although I did pump up a couple loads for my Blackhawk just because I can and wanted to try Ruger Only loads.

That is where I keep my reloads for my New Vaquero on the smaller more handy frame, although I have read it can take tier 2 loads @ about 20,000 psi or so, but not those tier 3 @ 28,000-30,000 psi.

Is this one a "5-shooter" or does it have a transfer bar safety so it is safe to carry all 6 chambers loaded?

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    NN said:
    Traditionally I agree........however I wish I'd have kept a S&W mdl 25 I bought from a feller in Germany and sold it back to him fer the same $300 bucks. It had a 4" bbl and Bill Jordan grips on it.

Or bought a pair of mdl 25s a Walmart near Fort Sill was selling for $500 for both years ago..........one in .45 Colt and one in .45 ACP the manager said they were trying to move old stock back when they were still selling handguns, I had the $$ but was interested in other calibers at the time..........................could cry a river of tears on guns I should have kept or bought. Crying and sniffling animated emoticon

However, I guess I sorta caught up with my 625 and dual cylinder Blackhawk.

I feel blessed to own the ones I do.

Gettin back to the OP, I'm looking forward to his initial impressions and range report.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    That will be a fun gun, you'll wonder why you waited!! Unique and/or Trail Boss will fill all your shootin' needs!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,078 Senior Member
    While you are waiting, go get yourself an El Paso Saddlery holster. 

Congrats on the new gun!  I need a 45Colt wheelie myself
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Big Chief said:
    NN said:
    Traditionally I agree........however I wish I'd have kept a S&W mdl 25 I bought from a feller in Germany and sold it back to him fer the same $300 bucks. It had a 4" bbl and Bill Jordan grips on it.

Or bought a pair of mdl 25s a Walmart near Fort Sill was selling for $500 for both years ago..........one in .45 Colt and one in .45 ACP the manager said they were trying to move old stock back when they were still selling handguns, I had the $$ but was interested in other calibers at the time..........................could cry a river of tears on guns I should have kept or bought. Crying and sniffling animated emoticon

However, I guess I sorta caught up with my 625 and dual cylinder Blackhawk.

I feel blessed to own the ones I do.

Gettin back to the OP, I'm looking forward to his initial impressions and range report.

I have a Red Hawk in 45 Cold----shoots ok not great.
    the .45/45 Cold Red Hawk shoot well in both cartridges.

I have a need for speed
    You gonna bring it (Redhawk .45) to da shoot Ned?
    edited May 17 #17
    Big Chief said:
    You gonna bring it (Redhawk .45) to da shoot Ned?

.45acp/45 cold?   oar the plain 45 cold?
    I have a need for speed
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,435 Senior Member
    NICE!!!  I have aways been partial to the shorter 4.5" barrel but the 5.5s are really growing on me.  It's just that I think The Duke would be sad if I bought a 5.5" B)  (and I'd have to buy all new leather)... Anyway great score, oh don't dry fire it a lot without snap caps.  They will break firing pins.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,076 Senior Member
    That’s a pretty one for sure. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

One of my favorite SA holsters.  The San Pedro Saddlery version is hanging in my office as we speak...

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    900 FPS is plenty pushing a 255 grain slug and can handle just about any situation you find yourself confronted with, unless you are hunting large animals like a hog or bear and then either get a Ruger Blackhawk or a Magnum. Keeps the pressure around 13000-14000 psi at a tier one load level and is safe for all modern .45 Colt revolvers in good working condition.

Fun at the range too. Almost all my .45 Colt loads are at about that level, although I did pump up a couple loads for my Blackhawk just because I can and wanted to try Ruger Only loads.

That is where I keep my reloads for my New Vaquero on the smaller more handy frame, although I have read it can take tier 2 loads @ about 20,000 psi or so, but not those tier 3 @ 28,000-30,000 psi.

Is this one a "5-shooter" or does it have a transfer bar safety so it is safe to carry all 6 chambers loaded?

No transfer bar safety on this one!
    Groucho Marx
    Big Al1 said:
    That will be a fun gun, you'll wonder why you waited!! Unique and/or Trail Boss will fill all your shootin' needs!
    I have both, so I'll be giving them a try.
    Groucho Marx
    BAMAAK said:
    They have nice triggers.  Congrats.
    Thanks, and this one already has a trigger job.
    Groucho Marx

That's sexy! I am in serious need of some gun leather. And not just for this new toy.
    Groucho Marx
    edited May 18 #25
    NICE!!!  I have aways been partial to the shorter 4.5" barrel but the 5.5s are really growing on me.  It's just that I think The Duke would be sad if I bought a 5.5" B)  (and I'd have to buy all new leather)... Anyway great score, oh don't dry fire it a lot without snap caps.  They will break firing pins.
    I fondled both, and the 5.5 just felt good. I tell ya what though. Uberti makes one in 4.5 like Russel Crowe's in 3:10 to Yuma. The cool factor on that gun almost swayed me to the short side.

Thank's for the snap cap tip!
    Groucho Marx
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,019 Senior Member
    Learn to slip fire it and you'll never use the trigger.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    But using the trigger is my favorite part!
    Groucho Marx
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    Looks great! What a cool pistol, and then in combo with your rifle, unbeatable.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    bellcat said:
    Looks great! What a cool pistol, and then in combo with your rifle, unbeatable.
    Thank you sir!
    Groucho Marx
    I fondled both, and the 5.5 just felt good. I tell ya what though. Uberti makes one in 4.5 like Russel Crowe's in 3:10 to Yuma. The cool factor on that gun almost swayed me to the short side.

You are welcome.  BTW since you reload you can make some nice classy snap caps by depriming a fireed case, tumbling it shinny and then replacing the primer with a leather plug glued in place.  A round punch should give you the right size plug.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,078 Senior Member

You are welcome.  BTW since you reload you can make some nice classy snap caps by depriming a fireed case, tumbling it shinny and then replacing the primer with a leather plug glued in place.  A round punch should give you the right size plug.
    I have made some with rubber in the primer hole.  Also heard of people filling the primer holes with silicone.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file