Even more "You can't make this stuff up" (California)...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 15,983 Senior Member
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 948 Senior Member
    Isn't that just whitewashing the problem???
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,901 Senior Member
    "Climate change is a fact of life that people in Los Angeles and cities around the world live with every day. It is a grave threat to our health, our environment, and our economy — and it is not debatable or negotiable," he said in a statement last year after President Trump said he would walk away from the Paris Climate Agreement."

Brilliant. The newest volcano belching out poison gas and fine dust in Hawaii will probably put more crap into the atmosphere in a month than a million SUVs can match in a lifetime with their reconditioned carbon dioxide, but painting asphalt at $40,000 per mile is going to save California from "climate change."

I'm just thankful that we have California for these people, if we could just keep them from escaping into the unsuspecting populations of other states. They are like buffalo gnats, or army worms - you don't see any for years, and then all of a sudden, they are upon you in swarms.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member
    From a standpoint of saving energy- I assume it may help keep down the AC bills for the houses on the street, plus if the seal coat helps the streets last longer, it may save money in the long run. A city street runs about 29' wide so at $40k a mile, it is about 26 cents a square foot- not much more than regular seal coating. It sounds like a silly waste of money at face value, but there is potential for this to make some fiscal sense.
    I am all about saving the planet... if it saves me money.
    Hey, if it makes fiscal sense, I'm in. I've just learned not to expect it, in all things related to CA. It is a good excuse to buy a pair of RayBans to fight the added glare.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,244 Senior Member
    Gonna give ‘street art’ a new meaning ... graffiti will really show nicely.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,998 Senior Member
    Ought to be fun doing burnouts on that nice white surface.....Moonbeam Brown and his looney followers have lost their cotton-picking minds. Please stay in CommieFornia, do not move here.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,664 Senior Member
    The liberals migrate faster than birds. We have them here in the mid-west already.
    In the old days if they said something stupid we welded there eye shut to give them time to think things over. Can't do that now so they really think they are little tin gods. If we ever find a way to control the money going to them it will slow stupid ideas down. Until then we are enabling them to be more stupid.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    From a standpoint of saving energy- I assume it may help keep down the AC bills for the houses on the street, 
    It will not keep the AC bills down for the houses on the street.  If it has any affect on the heat load of the surrounding buildings it will increase them, not decrease them.  They are crowing about how it reduces the surface temperature of the streets by 10 degrees, but they don't mention what happens to the excess heat.  It is radiated back into the atmosphere.  As a commercial HVAC/R service technician I spent many hours on commercial building rooftops.  I can tell you from personal experience that nothing will cook you faster than those all-white rooftops that reflect the sun and reduce the heat load on the building underneath that roof.  They may succeed in slightly reducing the temperatures of the storm sewers, but that is about all they will accomplish.  I take that back, it is possible that the sealant may increase the life of the pavement, but I do not believe the color will have anything to do with that and I find their stated reason for doing this project to be just comical and any true benefits to be purely accidental.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,648 Senior Member
    Ought to be fun doing burnouts on that nice white surface.....Moonbeam Brown and his looney followers have lost their cotton-picking minds. Please stay in CommieFornia, do not move here.
    Can you do a burnout with a Prius??
    Big Al1 said:
    Absolutely!........after you do an LS swap.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,021 Senior Member

With anti-lock brakes, most cars these days can't even leave a good set of skid marks- - - - -and forget about burnouts with engines that can't develop enough torque to take a twist cap off a bottle of Ripple!

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 948 Senior Member
    Hot rodders are starting to scrounge old diesels out of mid 90's Dodge and Chevy pickups. The horse power and torque numbers in the article I read were impressive.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    It will not keep the AC bills down for the houses on the street.  If it has any affect on the heat load of the surrounding buildings it will increase them, not decrease them.  They are crowing about how it reduces the surface temperature of the streets by 10 degrees, but they don't mention what happens to the excess heat.  It is radiated back into the atmosphere.  As a commercial HVAC/R service technician I spent many hours on commercial building rooftops.  I can tell you from personal experience that nothing will cook you faster than those all-white rooftops that reflect the sun and reduce the heat load on the building underneath that roof.  They may succeed in slightly reducing the temperatures of the storm sewers, but that is about all they will accomplish.  I take that back, it is possible that the sealant may increase the life of the pavement, but I do not believe the color will have anything to do with that and I find their stated reason for doing this project to be just comical and any true benefits to be purely accidental.
    You're right about that heat being reflected back up into the surrounding air, and the angle of the sun will reflect that heat onto houses and buildings with a vengeance. There are some buildings with reflective glass that causes some serious heat load to buildings across the street from them, among other things that get heated up. Those white rooftops will smoke you good if you have to be on one for any length of time, too. I guess California will have to find out about the properties of reflected light the hard way.

Here's a good article on how that happens:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2409710/Walkie-Talkie-building-melting-bicycles-Light-reflected-construction-City-skyscraper-scorches-seat.html

Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,192 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I know for a fact that you can spin the tires on a Prius.  Not much, not for long, but you can break them free.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited May 29 #17
    As part of a comprehensive plan, it will reduce the AC bills on that street. While what you are saying is true regarding the reflected light radiating back onto the properties, reflective roofs plus a newly discovered type of carbon sequestration/solar radiation absorber/green technology (trees) and they can counteract that. Heck, they could even make the roads with concrete instead. A huge mass of black asphalt is nothing more than a giant heat sink that stores up energy when the sun is shining, and releases it at night, warming the surrounding area.
    As part of a comprehensive plan, it will reduce the AC bills on that street. While what you are saying is true regarding the reflected light radiating back onto the properties, reflective roofs plus a newly discovered type of carbon sequestration/solar radiation absorber/green technology (trees) and they can counteract that. Heck, they could even make the roads with concrete instead. A huge mass of black asphalt is nothing more than a giant heat sink that stores up energy when the sun is shining, and releases it at night, warming the surrounding area.
    Any 'progressive' plan always requires a 'comprehensive plan,' which is to say a plan that only environmentalists with poly-sci training can understand.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,566 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I know for a fact that you can spin the tires on a Prius.  Not much, not for long, but you can break them free.
    I am conflicted as to whether I should congratulate you or shake my head sadly:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,192 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Big Al1 said:
    I am conflicted as to whether I should congratulate you or shake my head sadly:)
    The one I drove, I was pleasantly surprised by the acceleration and performance I was able to get.  I know I was able to whip it around traffic pretty well, and if you pinned the right pedal to the floor, the electric motors put a surprising amount of torque to the wheels.  A guy I know has had his Prius well over 100MPH (to the point that the Toyota dash warnings came on, flashing the speedo and beeping incessantly) driving out to Big Bend in West Texas.

The fact is, a Prius CAN move, it's the idiots behind the wheel that ruin traffic and drive like it's a 3 legged horse.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,566 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Big Al1 said:
    The one I drove, I was pleasantly surprised by the acceleration and performance I was able to get.  I know I was able to whip it around traffic pretty well, and if you pinned the right pedal to the floor, the electric motors put a surprising amount of torque to the wheels.  A guy I know has had his Prius well over 100MPH (to the point that the Toyota dash warnings came on, flashing the speedo and beeping incessantly) driving out to Big Bend in West Texas.

The fact is, a Prius CAN move, it's the idiots behind the wheel that ruin traffic and drive like it's a 3 legged horse.
    Still, it IS kind of like getting busted reading "O" while waiting for your wife to change clothes in the clothing store. Go drive your pickup through some mud, balance the universe out.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

This is true, the car is capable of much more than the typical driver of that type of car is willing to do.  About 4 years ago when I was in Boston on business I wound up with a rental Ford C-Max by the luck of the draw.  The C-Max is Ford's answer to the Prius, so I was not expecting much in the way of performance.  I was wrong, that little hybrid would move!  Back in 2000 I read an article about Dodge experimenting with hybrid development.  As a test vehicle they used a Durango.  It had a 4 cyl. and electric motors on the front wheels that would kick in when accelerating.  For a test, they ran it in the 1/4 mile against a Durango Shelby (360 HP)......the hybrid prototype won.

This is true, the car is capable of much more than the typical driver of that type of car is willing to do.  About 4 years ago when I was in Boston on business I wound up with a rental Ford C-Max by the luck of the draw.  The C-Max is Ford's answer to the Prius, so I was not expecting much in the way of performance.  I was wrong, that little hybrid would move!  Back in 2000 I read an article about Dodge experimenting with hybrid development.  As a test vehicle they used a Durango.  It had a 4 cyl. and electric motors on the front wheels that would kick in when accelerating.  For a test, they ran it in the 1/4 mile against a Durango Shelby (360 HP)......the hybrid prototype won.

This is true, the car is capable of much more than the typical driver of that type of car is willing to do.  About 4 years ago when I was in Boston on business I wound up with a rental Ford C-Max by the luck of the draw.  The C-Max is Ford's answer to the Prius, so I was not expecting much in the way of performance.  I was wrong, that little hybrid would moveBack in 2000 I read an article about Dodge experimenting with hybrid development.  As a test vehicle they used a Durango.  It had a 4 cyl. and electric motors on the front wheels that would kick in when accelerating.  For a test, they ran it in the 1/4 mile against a Durango Shelby (360 HP)......the hybrid prototype won.
    That is a very interesting idea.

With the right transmission, it could be used kind of like a four barrel carburetor used to work - the electric motor only kicks in when you 'stomp it.' Or, it could kick in for a low-load cruise, when the battery achieved a full charge, and kicked out when the charge went below a certain level, so as to reserve some juice for an emergency burst of power. Lots of development possibilities, there, for an electric motor that didn't require such a full range of load capabilities. The internal combustion engine could disengage from the drive train at a certain RPM, and drop back to idle speed. Might work, with computerized controls, and might even be economically feasible, in time.
    From what I remember, that is pretty much exactly how it worked.  Electric motors will pound for pound kick butt in the torque department vs. a gasoline engine.  I don't know why it never went beyond prototype, maybe the technology just was too expensive at the time.  Or maybe it just did not have the support of upper management.  Come to think of it, Dodge to this day still does not have a hybrid on the market, do they?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,983 Senior Member
    I'm still waiting for a diesel-electric hybrid...

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    zorba said:
    I'm still waiting for a diesel-electric hybrid...
    I got a 1 and 2 cylinder diesel engine in the shop and an electric golf cart. One engine is going to turn a few car alternators to generate power for my northern Michigan camp by charging my 12 volt battery bank. The other will be powering that cart. 
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,319 Senior Member

This news headline was on my MSN homepage this morning. 'California bans travel to Oklahoma'. What? Of course it ended up being a typical sensationalized headline but the actual story was silly enough.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-bans-travel-to-another-state-based-on-its-discriminatory-lgbt-adoption-law/ar-AAy9dPn?li=BBnb7Kz

I like Oklahoma's response which was pretty much "Who cares". I was shocked a few years ago when the 'We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone' signs suddenly disappeared from the main entrance and front windows of local businesses. I was relived when I discovered the signs had only been moved inside typically to the wall behind the cashiers. The Commiefornia refugees who quickly infested our city government determined the signs could possibly offend some members of the general public and needed to be moved inside. Good grief! I want a "I reserve the right to offend anyone" sign.

Apparently, California is doing this with/to any state that offends them.

Good.

They can just continue to isolate themselves from both reality and the rest of the nation.

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    Holy Buckets...
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    Speakin' of buckets, the new water use law just passed in California is gonna make it hard to keep clean. EVERYBODY in California is gonna be going around smelling ripe, or make the sales of deodorants/antiperspirants skyrocket.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

I hadn't heard about this...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file