Boring/Drilling out M1 buttstock...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 15,983 Senior Member
edited June 6 in General Firearms #1
The buttstock on my  Garand is NOT bored out for storage. Its nothing that I'm losing sleep over, but I'm toying with the idea of drilling it out. Apparently, the diameter of the 2 holes is 13/16", an odd measurement for sure! Just doing research for now - anybody know anything about this?
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    From the title I thought you were complaining that the buttstock was too boring.......I was gonna suggest taking a small door hinge and turning it into a folder.  laughing smiley face emoticon
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,983 Senior Member
    Thread title changed to be more descriptive!

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,648 Senior Member
    Looking for a place to store your gold lame thong??
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,220 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #5
    Big Al1 said:
    Looking for a place to store your gold lame thong??
    And lipstick, don’t forget the lipstick. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Lipstick would rattle!

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,220 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #7
    zorba said:
    Lipstick would rattle!
    Not wrapped in a thong. Geez, we got point out everything!😂🤣
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 948 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #8
    What would have been stored there at the time of initial issue????. Did the items stored change depending on time of issue????
    Cleaning kit, consisting of 4 part rod, brush, multi-tool, oiler, and grease pot. Things did change slightly over the years, esp. the multi-tool.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,368 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    zorba said:
    Lipstick would rattle!
    Not wrapped in a thong. Geez, we got point out everything!😂🤣
    You shut your pie hole. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    Unless you're just wanting the holes to store the cleaning kit stuff to make it more period correct, I wouldn't do it.  The multi tool, oiler, and grease pot are the only things usable in that kit; the cleaning rod is a bore killer especially at the muzzle end.

As to drilling the holes, you'll need a jig of some sort; they're not easy to make. And I HIGHLY recommend step drilling the holes. The thin bit of wood between the holes will have a tendency to 'blow out' into the first hole when drilling the second to full diameter instead of step drilling. Step drilling removes a LOT of the tendency for the larger drill bits to grab the wood and make a mess of the hole, and makes chip binding of the bit mostly a non issue.

The actual machine used to make those holes is best described as a horizontal drill press with a 'cradle' that securely holds the stock in place for the drilling. A lathe with a holding fixture for the stock would be a first choice for that now; freehand drilling those holes will most likely end in badly, and a messed up buttstock.

If you decide to do it, I'd find a woodworking shop that has the time and tools to do it right.

Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    My Garand stock both holes are 13/16, top hole 8 3/8" deep, lower hole 6 3/4" deep, they can be safely bored 1/16" over to 3/4" If ya need them i have Forstner , twist, and spade drill with extensions, I'll loan them to you.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    zorba said:
    Cleaning kit, consisting of 4 part orod, brush, multi-tool, oiler, and grease pot. Things did change slightly over the years, esp. the multi-tool.
     Can those things be had today???
    zorba said:
    Cleaning kit, consisting of 4 part orod, brush, multi-tool, oiler, and grease pot. Things did change slightly over the years, esp. the multi-tool.
     Can those things be had today???
    Yes.

tennmike said:
    Unless you're just wanting the holes to store the cleaning kit stuff to make it more period correct, I wouldn't do it.  The multi tool, oiler, and grease pot are the only things usable in that kit; the cleaning rod is a bore killer especially at the muzzle end.

As to drilling the holes, you'll need a jig of some sort; they're not easy to make. And I HIGHLY recommend step drilling the holes. The thin bit of wood between the holes will have a tendency to 'blow out' into the first hole when drilling the second to full diameter instead of step drilling. Step drilling removes a LOT of the tendency for the larger drill bits to grab the wood and make a mess of the hole, and makes chip binding of the bit mostly a non issue.

The actual machine used to make those holes is best described as a horizontal drill press with a 'cradle' that securely holds the stock in place for the drilling. A lathe with a holding fixture for the stock would be a first choice for that now; freehand drilling those holes will most likely end in badly, and a messed up buttstock.

If you decide to do it, I'd find a woodworking shop that has the time and tools to do it right.

Yea, I'm leaning away from doing it for this very reason - it looks like a PITA and there's about 10,000 ways to screw this up. With that said, what do you think about using a brace and bit for the final hole?

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,368 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    tennmike said:

Yea, I'm leaning away from doing it for this very reason - it looks like a PITA and there's about 10,000 ways to screw this up. With that said, what do you think about using a brace and bit for the final hole?
    Hell no. Waaaaay to wobbly. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,075 Senior Member
    I'd either:
    1) leave it the hell alone and live with it
    or
    2) leave it the hell alone and find another stock that's already drilled, if it bothered me (it wouldn't)

Notice a theme to both of my choices?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    I'd either:
    or
    2) leave it the hell alone and find another stock that's already drilled, 

That sounds like a winner plan. The undrilled stock looks very nice. Maybe a nice looking drilled one could be found and maybe new contacts made with those of similar interest in historical arms during the search.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    zorba said:

No, when drilling deep holes thru a stock you should have a jig to hold it rock solid, and dont rely on a pilot hole to be stright, the grain can cause the bit to skew off to one side.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    zorba said:

NOOOO! For the reason CPJ gave. That would be a quick way to blow out the hole and/or crack the stock.
    You COULD do that hole drilling with a vertical floor stand drill press, but the tooling would exceed the price of a replacement stock with the holes already drilled.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

You guys have convinced me!

Like I told my wife, I don't think I'm going to be taking that rifle into combat, so having an onboard cleaning kit isn't necessary. I'll just have to figure out another place to stash my gold Lame' thong and lipstick!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,926 Senior Member
    Maybe the wood on that rifle was not right for a storage hole in the first place.
    All we kept in there was some cleaning supplies and a small container of luberplate.

You don't want to be using the sectioned steel rod anyway.
    I have a need for speed
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,150 Senior Member
    Get a WWII vintage pistol belt with a pouch for extra clips and canvass bag to affix to it for things like that. Better yet get a snake cleaning kit to carry around in it. Heck a first aid bandage, canteen and whatever........you will then be all set for your mission! 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    TactiCool!

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,648 Senior Member
    zorba said:

Like I told my wife, I don't think I'm going to be taking that rifle into combat, so having an onboard cleaning kit isn't necessary. I'll just have to figure out another place to stash my gold Lame' thong and lipstick!
    Leave a spot open on your ammo belt!
    Image result for ammo belt for m1 garand
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,926 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    zorba said:

Leave a spot open on your ammo belt!
    Image result for ammo belt for m1 garand
    I used to use mine for hunting, each pouch holds 4 12 Ga shotgun shells.
    I have a need for speed
    edited June 7 #27
    I have a grenade pouch on my left leg in my avatar. That pic was taken twenty years ago, and I can't remember what I put in it😶
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,071 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Get a WWII vintage pistol belt with a pouch for extra clips and canvass bag to affix to it for things like that. Better yet get a snake cleaning kit to carry around in it. Heck a first aid bandage, canteen and whatever........you will then be all set for your mission! 
    And a camo dress.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,939 Senior Member
    Drill the hole a little bigger and wrap the lipstick in the thong. Kill two birds with one stone.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,939 Senior Member
    edited June 7 #30
    Seriously, I got my Garand in 1983 and have never used or barely looked in those holes. If it ain't got it your rifle ain't made for it. I'd leave it be. And as was said, if you just have to have a stock like that you can find a spare with the holes.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    I'd get another stock with the holes; not cheap but considering the drilling cost and risk, and that a spare one for those old rifles isn't a bad idea at all, would seem as the best option if you really want your rifle to be "correct".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file