Favorite Reloading Powders?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,185 Senior Member
edited June 6 in General Firearms #1
Top Three:

H4350 - Most used rifle powder
H4895 - .308 Win/.223 Rem Powder of choice.
H110 - Most used handgun powder. 

Honerable Mention:

Trail Boss - A fun reduced recoil powder for rifle and handgun. Good for “science”!

Been really having fun with H4895 and Hodgdon’s reduced recoil loads lately. Moving my boy up to the .308 Winchester this year for rifle and handgun hunting. So, I’ve been on a quest for the right bullet and load to reduce the felt recoil while maintaining lethality. H4895 has been key in accomplishing that goal. Found the load today. 

I think I’m going to have to explore the expanded possibilities with this powder!

What are some of your favorite powders?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,075 Senior Member
    H4895
    Ramshot TAC
    Li'l Gun

4895 is MOST of my rifles,
    TAC in some 223 and 6.5 Grendel load
    Li'l Gun in the 'wulf, BO and heavy magnum handgun loads
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,150 Senior Member
    Unique/Titegroup/2400/Blue Dot/296 for handguns. I have Bullseye I need to use up, probably in .45 ACP. I think it was Power Pistol I used before and had some good results with it too. 

Varget/H4895/BLC2/AA surplus Data Powders 2200/2230 for .556/.223 until it is gone and about is. I have used others over the years, depends on caliber, but Varget is to rifles what Unique is to handgun loads............usually one load you can use in a lot of calibers.

Many new ones on the market I need to try some of them out as my supply runs out of what I have O/H.  
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,368 Senior Member
    H4350 for 243. 

Cfe223 for 223 and 7-08 and 308. May not be the best, but, one powder for those is attractive. 

Unique for any pistol rounds that aren’t magnum. It’s cheap, and makes bullets exit the barrel. My only two requirements...

H110 for magnum pistol. 

Trail boss for anything. Literally. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Wait. You’re making your boy shoot a
    Savage? 
    Zee

Funny, I’ve heard tell one should just buy a less powerful round if they want less recoil. Not water them down using Trail Boss...
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,185 Senior Member
    cpj said:

Funny, I’ve heard tell one should just buy a less powerful round if they want less recoil. Not water them down using Trail Boss...
    Well, that’s stupid!

😎
    cpj said:
    Wait. You’re making your boy shoot a
    Savage? 
    It was searching for a purpose. Launching reduced loads seemed like a good one. 
    Zee said:
    cpj said:

Well, that’s stupid!

😎
    That’s what I’ve told folks. They seem to be hard headed. 
    Zee
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    Hand guns- 2400 & H-110
    Most rifles- IMR- 4895, IMR & H 4350
    Large magnum cases- IMR & H 4831 & IMR 7828

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    cpj said:
    Zee said:
    cpj said:

Well, that’s stupid!

😎
    That’s what I’ve told folks. They seem to be hard headed. 
    Aside from the reduced recoil benefits from powders like H4895 and Trail Boss...…...the science that I'm mostly loving about this concept is the ability to mimic impact velocities at greater distances and test bullet performance,  Last month, I used H4895 to mimic the impact velocity of a 168gr A-Max from a .308 Winchester at 700 yards and see how the bullet performed.  Cooooooooooool.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,075 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    ..…...the science that I'm mostly loving about this concept is the ability to mimic impact velocities at greater distances and test bullet performance,  Last month, I used H4895 to mimic the impact velocity of a 168gr A-Max from a .308 Winchester at 700 yards and see how the bullet performed.  Cooooooooooool.
    Winchester ran into some issues doing that a few years ago.
    I believe they figured out that the lower rotational velocity affected expansion due to decreased centrifugal force at the lower MV
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,286 Senior Member
    For what I am doing? Varget. 46gr matches M2 in the 06 which works in the Garands and 03s. 48 in the 03A4 kicks the speed up and I can shoot 96's at 600 so it works. For 69gr in the 223, 24.5 works across the course, switching to 77gr where 24gr looks like is is sub MOA. The leverguns, krag, and Lee like the same amount of powder in IMR 4895. IMR4227 for M1 Carbine. Mine likes it, all carbines are a pain to find THE load for. This seems to work for me.

Handgun, I own Unique and Bullseye, dont reload a lot of handgun. Bullseye under lead in the 45, Unique for 38/357/45.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 948 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #14
    When I first started reloading I think Ken55 tried to steer me towards Unique. Its is now my all time favorite handgun powder.

I like W231 for 45acp the best. Its looking like 700x will be a good substitute.

I like 2400 best for heavy loads. IMR Trail Boss for light.

I've only used IMR 4064 for my 30 cal rifles. Still working up loads.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,192 Senior Member
    Right now, the #1 is Trailboss.  That stuff is just fun as hell making powder puff loads in big guns
    #2 is Bullseye.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,891 Senior Member

H4895 and IMR3031 pretty much take care of my rifle needs.  I've tried CFE223 and still have some.  I had some serious overpressure signs in my 308s with it, even well within published load data.  So I've been loading a bunch of bulk 55gr SPs in 223 using starting load data.  They are reasonably accurate and cycle in my ARs well.  Just trying to use it up, then I won't buy it again.  H4895 is kindof a jack of all trades, master of a few.  IMR 3031 works well in 243 and 30-30 Win.

For handgun loads, my most used powders are Titegroup, W296 and Trail Boss.  I've tried A LOT of different handgun powders. Those three are what I've narrowed it down to for most loads.  For 357 and other "magnum" type loads that I don't want to be full on W296 loads, but want some decent velocity, I'll use Accurate 7 and 9 every once in a while.  But the first three I listed are by far what I use the most of.

• RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 36 Member
    I am mainly a revolver guy.  Titegroup and H110.
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • dwfffandwfffan Member Posts: 34 Member
    I am using IMR 4064 in my .308 and 7.5x55 Swiss. So far only tried Varget in the .223. Not reloading for the handgun's yet.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    .223 - Ramshot Xterminator 6mm/243ish - H4350 .270 - RL22.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Welcome to the fold!  Glad you made it, friend. 
    I am mainly a revolver guy. 
    I’ll hold your beer. That’s about to change. 
    edited June 6 #22
    Zee said:
    Welcome to the fold!  Glad you made it, friend. 
    Thanks for the invite!  Enjoyed lurking for a while, and decided to take the plunge.  
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
    Zee said:
    I am mainly a revolver guy. 
    I’ll hold your beer. That’s about to change. 
    Yeah, I have a feeling... and it ain't gas...
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard, Raptortrapper.... Nothing wrong with being a revolver guy, but if Zee is your mentor...your horizons are fixin' to be expanded. Like...out to the horizon. Not kidding.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 203 Member
    Rifles would be IMR4064, Varget, and RL19 depending on the cartridge.

Handgun caliber rifles are usually IMR4227, Lil Gun, or W296.

Handgun would be W296, 2400, Blue Dot, or sometimes AA #9.

**** and gigs loads are Trail Boss.  My initial batch of experimental .45 cal rifle loads are/were Trail Boss.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,071 Senior Member
    edited June 7 #26
    Semi pistol calibers AA#7.  Can use it from 380 up to 10mm, light or heavy loads.  Been using to titegroup for my mouse fart PCC loads lately

Cowboy guns Trail Boss hands down.  Love how it doesn't leave a lot of space and has a large usable range unlike Titegroup.

.223 not sure but H335 is what I'm using lately for short distance 55 gr.  Varget for longer distance and 68/69 gr bullets.

"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    edited June 7 #27
    Welcome aboard, Raptortrapper.... Nothing wrong with being a revolver guy, but if Zee is your mentor...your horizons are fixin' to be expanded. Like...out to the horizon. Not kidding.
    Thanks!! And yeah, I've already begun to see what ya mean with Zee.  Looking forward to that though.  I've done the "up close and personal" hunting for years via archery (14 years), handguns (~12 years), and flintlocks (2 years).  I'm looking forward to the "next zip code" style of shooting.  Not necessarily hunting at that range, but target shooting at that range.  I would never take a shot while hunting passed 400 yards.  At least not right now.
    Thanks!! And yeah, I've already begun to see what ya mean with Zee.  Looking forward to that though.  I've done the "up close and personal" hunting for years via archery (14 years), handguns (~12 years), and flintlocks (2 years).  I'm looking forward to the "next zip code" style of shooting.  Not necessarily hunting at that range, but target shooting at that range.  I would never take a shot while hunting passed 400 yards.  At least not right now.
    Never say never. 

In due time......
    Zee said:
    Never say never. 

In due time......
    Yeah, but not till I'm extremely confident with what I'm doing.  I hold critters in very high regard, even coyotes and prairie dogs.  Although I do love to see prairie dog chunks fly as far as possible. :D
    Talk to Linefinder, then.  That’s his forte. 
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    edited June 7 #31
    Only been loading for a couple years at the most, and only handgun cartridges so far. Have used AA#2, AA#5, Power Pistol, Unique, Bullseye, 700X & TiteGroup...they all work.

I am starting to gravitate toward AA#2 in short barrel revolvers, and Bullseye or Power Pistol for semi-autos.

Headed to the range tomorrow after work to try some 45 Colt Trail Boss loads.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file