Mini Tornado touched down in my yard

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 7,585 Senior Member
This afternoon South Florida was hit with torrential downpours.  It also spun up a mini tornado that wrecked my large shade tree, dumped my kayaks on the ground and tore up other trees in the neighborhood.  Funny thing, less than 100 feet away not one coconut fell off my neighbors tree.
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,054 Senior Member
    WOW!!!!!

Glad it wasn't worse
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,917 Senior Member
    Wow------you were being watched out for.
    I have a need for speed
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 913 Senior Member
    Did you watch it happen?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,099 Senior Member
    Man, small one or big, tornadoes are destructive. Glad you guys are OK.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,585 Senior Member
    Were were at work
    Wife beat me home and i found her cutting branches and piling them in the swell for bulk trash tomorrow. Arborist will be by tomorrow to cut broken and twisted branches  and salvage what he can. There goes the gun fund  :(
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 913 Senior Member
    At least you didn't have to stand at the window cringing.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,247 Senior Member
    Glad it was just the trees and not the house! Tornadoes of any size are bad stuff. And glad you and wife weren't home when it hit!
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 639 Senior Member
    Whew, that was a bit too close!

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,054 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:There goes the gun fund  :(
    Homeowner's Ins won't help??
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,585 Senior Member
    Nope, insurance would come into play if it had fallen on something
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,870 Senior Member
    I didn't know Florida got tornadoes. Just water spouts. Glad it wasn't worse.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,109 Senior Member
    Glad it wasn't too serious. We get tornadoes up here but our biggest concern is lightning. I spend several hundred bucks a year on lights, fence chargers, and controllers for the gate that get fried from lightning strikes
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,558 Senior Member
    Go buy a lottery ticket, you dodged one.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    Holy crap!  Glad it wasn't worse.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,464 Senior Member
    Was it a funnel or what they call a "micro burst"? Glad there is no damage to the house and you!
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,653 Senior Member
    Damn!  Glad you gays AND the House are ok!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,947 Senior Member
    Damn!  Glad you gays AND the House are ok!

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,645 Senior Member
    Those  pop up storms do more damage than most of the named storms. 

Glad there was no more damage!
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,464 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Those  pop up storms do more damage than most of the named storms. 

Glad there was no more damage!
    My dad damn near said those exact words after a spring storm in the panhandle one year.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,528 Senior Member
    Geeze, Louise. Did you piss off some aliens..........looks like you got crop circled. Glad it wasn't worse.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,098 Senior Member
    I know how you feel. An EF1 touched down a block from my house in February and tore up about a mile stretch. Yours was even closer. Glad nobody was hurt.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 631 Senior Member
    I didn't know Florida got tornadoes. Just water spouts. Glad it wasn't worse.
    Most Florida tornadoes are small by Midwest standards and many of them are embedded in hurricanes, but sometimes when a strong cold front is coming through in the winter this can happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYEakUv5hy8

Eight tornadoes in one night.  This was 20 years ago.  My wife was eight months pregnant with our first child and we lived in an apartment at the time.  We were woken up by the weather radio and turned the news on to watch live coverage.  At one point I went out on the pack porch to see local conditions and saw extremely heavy wind gusts, followed by dead calm for a few seconds and then more extremely heavy wind gusts coming from the opposite direction.  During the calm, I heard what sounded like a jet aircraft pass slowly over the building at a very low altitude.  I wondered what that crazy pilot was doing since we were nowhere near an airport.  When daylight came and it was clear what paths these tornadoes had taken, I realized that one of the bad ones was headed straight for my apartment, lifted a few miles before it reached me and came back down and wreaked havoc a few miles past. Looking at a map, I drew a line from where the first damage occurred to where the last damage occurred and the line went directly over the apartment building we were in.  That was when I realized that was not a jet aircraft I had heard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file