Turning a 243 Howa Bolt action into a 'kitset' by firing a 270 through it..................

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,400 Senior Member
Saw this posted up on another forum and thought you might like to see what happens when you do what the thread title says.......

Lucky he only suffered a few scratches............ 

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,054 Senior Member
    OUCH, though that link says a 25-06 Howa
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,170 Senior Member
    Was gonna say, can’t fit a .270 Win in a .243 Win chamber. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 663 Senior Member
    Alex do you post on that forum?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,400 Senior Member
    My bad. Meant to say 25.06 .............but was thinking with my 243 brain........
    ojr said:
    Yep. .......and the other one as well,
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,170 Senior Member
    Some assembly required!

Dang... That had to be a scary damn moment.  Good deal he was not hurt.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,585 Senior Member
    WOW  Surprised nobody especially the shooter got hurt.  amazing what happens when you try to overfeed a gun
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,760 Senior Member
    Yep... that's a mess alright.  And reading through the posts I discovered that you guys down under are actually allowed to use the queen mother of all dirty words in polite conversation.......Well effing done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,870 Senior Member
    Wow, scary stuff right there. He was lucky.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,947 Senior Member
    SNAKE!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,016 Senior Member

An 8MM Mauser cartridge will chamber in a .30-06, and if it happens to be a Mauser action the controlled round feed extractor will hold the primer close enough to the bolt face to fire the cartridge.  Pushing a .323 bullet down a .308 bore can get exciting,  P.O. Ackley did a lot experimentation with intentionally firing oversized projectiles after WW II when a few rifles got blown up supposedly by firing battlefield pickup 8MM ammo in -06 rifles.  He determined that if the case neck could expand sufficiently to release the bullet, the oversized bullet would swage down and exit the barrel with little ort no damage.  A case jammed tight into the chamber would cause a blowup.

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,247 Senior Member
    Whatever that cartridge was that blew it up, that guy is one very lucky shooter. In Disbelief animated emoticon  That rifle disassembled itself into LOTS of pieces. He's very lucky to have all his bits and pieces intact!
    Looking at the case dimensions of the .25-06 vs. .270 Win. I'm more than a little amazed that he could stuff a .270 Win. in the .25-06 chamber. The cartridges are dimensionally almost twins with the neck diameter of the .270 being larger in diameter and the overall length of the .270 case being longer being the difference. The difference in neck diameters being only 0.010 it could be possible, though. Scary!

Whatever that cartridge was, it sure did make a mess of a nice rifle.

Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,928 Senior Member
    Well, on this forum that's ludicrous to say it was a .270. Everybody here knows a .270 can't blow anything up! According to forum lore the bullets lucky to get out of the barrel much less have enough pressure to blow anything up!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,928 Senior Member
    edited June 8 #14
    tennmike said:
    Whatever that cartridge was that blew it up, that guy is one very lucky shooter. In Disbelief animated emoticon  That rifle disassembled itself into LOTS of pieces. He's very lucky to have all his bits and pieces intact!
    Looking at the case dimensions of the .25-06 vs. .270 Win. I'm more than a little amazed that he could stuff a .270 Win. in the .25-06 chamber. The cartridges are dimensionally almost twins with the neck diameter of the .270 being larger in diameter and the overall length of the .270 case being longer being the difference. The difference in neck diameters being only 0.010 it could be possible, though. Scary!

Whatever that cartridge was, it sure did make a mess of a nice rifle.

One of the popular scenarios of this is the .308 Win. in a .25-06. I think I've also heard of a .308 in a 6mm Remington. I could also easily see a .308 in a .270. But no way do I believe a .270 in a .25-06 and especially a .270 in a .243.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,947 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Well, on this forum that's ludicrous to say it was a .270. Everybody here knows a .270 can't blow anything up! According to forum lore the bullets lucky to get out of the barrel much less have enough pressure to blow anything up!
    They get out of the bbl?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,063 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Was gonna say, can’t fit a .270 Win in a .243 Win chamber. 
    Not with that attitude, you can’t. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,364 Senior Member
    This looks like a barrel obstruction near the chamber. Powder missing in a cartridge would leave a bullet not far from the chamber. An inattentive shooter could chamber another round with this result. It would be interesting to get that case out and find out what is in the barrel considering all the pressure went through the action. 

There's really not a lot of info given on the shooter or the gun.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,099 Senior Member
    I had some MILSURPS on the range years ago. I believe it was a 6.5X55 Swedish and a K-31 Swiss 7.5X55 ammo I got mixed up on the bench and didn't realize it until I started closing the bolt.

Best to put away ammo when you are done with it and only have the proper caliber cartridges within reach when you have multiple ones.

Some calibers at first glance can be mistaken. Like .303 British, 7.62X54R and 8X56R. I guess 30-06 and 8mm too. Although I only own a 8mm not a 30-06.

30-30 and .32 Win Spl? 

9X18 MAK and 9X19 Luger.

Some may or may not chamber completely, but sure can cause a disruption in your shootin fun.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,653 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    The rifle self destructed in an act of suicide because it could not live with the indignation of having had a .270 cartridge stuffed into its chamber...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    orchidman said:
    My bad. Meant to say 25.06 .............but was thinking with my 243 brain........
    ojr said:
    Excellent
    I wondered when you first mentioned Tikka , Latte and Auckland in one sentence. :)
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    That's a helluva detonation.  I am flabbergasted that he still has all of his fingers!  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,098 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    That's a helluva detonation.  I am flabbergasted that he still has all of his fingers!  

That is the exact word I was going to use. A small bomb went off in his hands and face and he apparently came away unharmed. It is truly a miracle.
    A testament to the good Howa action maybe?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,400 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #24
    ojr said:
    orchidman said:
    ojr said:
    Excellent
    I wondered when you first mentioned Tikka , Latte and Auckland in one sentence. :)

And I wondered if you would pick up on it Lol............
    edited June 10 #25
    When I was a kid, I loaded a .308 Win cartridge in the tube of my dad’s .30-30 Winchester lever action rifle.

Fortunately and unfortunately, it wouldn’t eject from the tube and enter the chamber. 

It took a trip to the local gunsmith. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,170 Senior Member
    You weren’t anywhere in the TX hill country at that point, were you?  I remember talking to a gunsmith in that area a long time ago bitching about having to completely disassemble the mag tube on a Winchester 30-30 to get a 308 out of the tube.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Ha!  Nope. 

At at least I don’t feel alone anymore. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file