Anthony Bourdain, CNN host and celebrity chef, dead at 61

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 31,150 Senior Member
Suicide, hung himself in a hotel room in France. I enjoyed his shows.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,704 Senior Member
    That’s too bad, he was very entertaining.  Always makes me wonder, like Kate Spade, what the heck can be going so sideways in a celebrity’s life to make them do such a thing...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,150 Senior Member
    I figured it would be from a heart attack or some digestive malady from some of that wild crap he ate around the world.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,192 Senior Member
    I kinda liked him.  Sad to hear that he thought his life was so bad that he killed himself.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,901 Senior Member
    My favorite was when he ate the beating heart ripped from the body of a live king cobra, in Viet Nam.

I figure he just got to the point where the worst symptoms of long term alcoholism started to impact him.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    Have to wonder if his years of heroin addiction played into it....the effects of that stuff are insidious, even after the person has been clean for years....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,075 Senior Member
    It's a shame.

RIP
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 676 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    I figured it would be from a heart attack or some digestive malady from some of that wild crap he ate around the world.
    This

Hawk
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    RIP. 

The show wasn't my cuppa, but wasn't bad.  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,273 Senior Member
    That sucks. I really enjoyed his show and his personality. I used to make it a point to tune in. He will be missed. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    Condolences to the families of the two celebrities that killed themselves this week.... it's certainly on the news....but not a goddamn word about the 20 veterans A DAY that take their own lives....Well, I guess some lives are more newsworthy than others....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,114 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Condolences to the families of the two celebrities that killed themselves this week.... it's certainly on the news....but not a goddamn word about the 20 veterans A DAY that take their own lives....Well, I guess some lives are more newsworthy than others....
    Thank you for pointing this out. Those 20 veterans have done a heck of a lot more for our country than entertainers and purse designers. Any death is unfortunate but I'm constantly disgusted by the priority that the media places on the lives of entertainers who's only contribution to society is entertainment.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,192 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member
    This is not to diminish from the plight of our veterans at all, but Bourdain could write really well...

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,368 Senior Member
    Call me cold, but I don’t care. As others have pointed out, just because he was famous he’s somehow more important than the average Joe?  
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,098 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

Have been saying the same. The D-Day anniversary didn't get as much coverage. I liked the guy, without knowing him, and his shows. But he was no better than any other.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Call me cold, but I don’t care. As others have pointed out, just because he was famous he’s somehow more important than the average Joe?  
    People think a celebs life is so wonderful, they can’t understand why they would take their own life. And that is the real problem. Society placing celebs up on a pedestal 
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 356 Member
    Read his tweets from right before he died. Seems to me Hillary suicided him as well. He had Clinton ties and was allegedly going to go public from what I heard.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,599 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

Tomorrow a Soldier that was killed in a far away land in a place we dont think we have soldiers will be laid to rest in Arlington.  Nobody will know or hear of this hero.  Friday I will be meeting with the widow of an active duty SFC that recently committed suicide. I will assist her in relocating herself and their children. Nobody will hear of him either, 
    I don't want to sound cold, but this guy was a chef that made it. Besides entertainment what did he give? Our Military suffer from bigger and badder demons after giving so much of their life and not a one of them is mentioned on the news.  This makes me sadder than I can put into words
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,368 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Jayhawker said:

Tomorrow a Soldier that was killed in a far away land in a place we dont think we have soldiers will be laid to rest in Arlington.  Nobody will know or hear of this hero.  Friday I will be meeting with the widow of an active duty SFC that recently committed suicide. I will assist her in relocating herself and their children. Nobody will hear of him either, 
    I don't want to sound cold, but this guy was a chef that made it. Besides entertainment what did he give? Our Military suffer from bigger and badder demons after giving so much of their life and not a one of them is mentioned on the news.  This makes me sadder than I can put into words
    What did he do? 
    Not. One. ****. Thing. 
    At least now, real men have more oxygen to breathe. 
    Oh, I wanted to sound cold. Hope ot
    came off that way.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file