Need help with a M&P Shield

GilaGila Posts: 43 Member
I want to replace the sights on my Shield.  I figure the factory sights were installed with a type of red Loctite, and to remove them I'll probably need to heat the Loctite to 500° F.  I know there are parts under the rear sight that may not be capable of handling that much heat.  Does anyone know of any tricks to remove the factory sights or if the Shield can handle that much heat?  I do have a quality tool to remove, adjust and install dovetail sights.
To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,054 Senior Member
    Not familiar with the M&P Shield, but I seriously doubt they used red loctite, AND if I am wrong, and they did, I doubt they'd put something under them that would be damaged if they had to remove a sight for a factory repair
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,452 Senior Member
    I think I've seen it done on a Shield to put on night sights.  IIRC, a punch was used to knock out the old sight.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 849 Senior Member
    On both of mine I stripped the slide and put it in the freezer for a while then took the sights off. They came off but were very stubborn. I used a strong sight pusher. 
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,452 Senior Member
    I just called my local gunsmith.  He's done many...strip the slide, lock it in a soft jawed vise, drift from right to left.  Takes a little pounding with a soft punch.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,268 Senior Member
    A sight pushed is best but a brass tap will easily work. The rear sight holds the stricker block in place IIRC so keep an eye out for it so you don't let it go flying. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,178 Senior Member
    There’s no loctite from the factory, but the rear sight does hold a part or two in place, I can’t recall which.  Let an armorer or gunsmith do it.  They don’t charge much.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 364 Member
    Left to right.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,585 Senior Member
    Push toward ejection port
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    edited June 9 #10
    I changed sights on 2 M&Ps, but neither was a Shield. Used a sight pusher, no Loctite was there. As LMLarsen said, the rear sight holds the striker block and spring in place. 
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
    My Shields were way harder to push than my other 2 M&Ps. No idea why. 
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • GilaGila Posts: 43 Member
    Thanks for all of the help!  I prefer to do my own work, and I have a MGW sight tool.  I also know about the parts under the rear sight, but not what they are made of.  If I were a master gun smith, I'd use the punch and mallet method, but I"m not, and that's why I have the tool.  I'm going to try the freezer trick and see what happens.  BTW, this is not a money issue.  It's just that I live in the boondocks 60 miles from no where, and no longer know of a gun smith I can trust.
    To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ
    Under the rear sight is the striker block (striker safety plunger), spring, and a small disc that rides on the bottom of the sight. It is more towards the right side of the slide.

NRA Benefactor Member

Items 4,5,6
    NRA Benefactor Member
    IIRC, the disc is plastic. It will fly, so go slowly
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • GilaGila Posts: 43 Member
    I just want to thank everyone for the help.  The freezer trick worked just fine.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    What sights did you go with?
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file