45 Colt range report

TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior MemberPosts: 5,840 Senior Member
edited June 9 in General Firearms #1
Took the Ubertis, 1873 carbine and the new 1873 revolver to the range Thursday night. Had Trail Boss, Unique and TiteGroup loads to try. The Unique and TiteGroup loads were too stout to be enjoyable through the revolver.

The 250 grain LRNFP over 5.5 grain Trail Boss was the most enjoyable to shoot, and the best performer of the bunch. But that load still shot a couple inches higher in the rifle vs the revolver. Think I'll bump that up smidge for the next trip and see where that hits. 

Shooting the revolver off a rest, point of impact was about an inch left of point of aim at 10 yards. Not sure how to address that. But a 5 shot group made 4 holes, and were all touching each other. The competition grips, wide square rear sight notch and especially the 2lb trigger made it a hoot to shoot.

Best part of the evening, all the tacticool shooters that were there. They were all more interested in what we were shooting than what they were shooting. Me with my 1873s, Susan with her Winchester 92. Shooting offhand, dinging 50 and 75 yard steels with our lever guns. Lever guns, not tacticool...just cool! B)  
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,098 Senior Member
    edited June 9 #2
    Not just cool, very cool! The tacti-cool stuff is so common at the range anymore, mine included, that I tend to be drawn to the firearms such as yours. I generally will walk up to those people and strike up a conversation. I usually have the same thing happen when I take the mil-surps.. I think a lot of folks miss that old school stuff but tend not to make those purchases themselves.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 913 Senior Member
    Make sure the gun's not touching the rest. Just have your wrists rested. Pressure on the gun besides your hands can change POI. Also I have at least one old time revolver that changes POI by shooting it one handed as opposed to two. I don't know why this is but it is. I say all this in case you make a change in the sights (yes they can be tweaked) you want to make sure of POI first.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    Oh, thanks. I was resting the barrel on the bag.
    Groucho Marx
    That might not change it. You'll need to check by doing and then not. But pressure on the grip will surely change it.

If it needs tweaking, have a smith do it. The finish is too nice to take a chance.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,099 Senior Member
    What was your charge weight of Unique and Titegroup?

I use 8 grains Unique or a tad more in my .45 Colt loads and I think 6 pt something with Titegroup. 250-255 grain bullets.

Not hard to control in my New Vaquero and a putty cat in the Blackhawk. Grips make a huge difference.

I like my all around loads to be around 850-950 FPS or so.  

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,348 Senior Member
    No es bueno. 
    A dollar says you’ll have different results by not doing that. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,099 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,653 Senior Member
    Make sure you figure out all your shooting parameters (prefers grip and such) and loads etc before you try to regulate the sights.  On an SA it’s not an insignificant endeavor and usually a one time deal.  BTW 1” at 10 yards is not a big deal at all and it’s actually great for an out of the box SA.  Personally I would not mess with the sights for that.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Big Chief said:
    What was your charge weight of Unique and Titegroup?

I use 8 grains Unique or a tad more in my .45 Colt loads and I think 6 pt something with Titegroup. 250-255 grain bullets.

Not hard to control in my New Vaquero and a putty cat in the Blackhawk. Grips make a huge difference.

I like my all around loads to be around 850-950 FPS or so.  

Unique loads were 7.4 and 7.8, TiteGroup loads were 5.3 and 5.6. Didn't expect them to feel as stout as they did.
    Groucho Marx
    Make sure you figure out all your shooting parameters (prefers grip and such) and loads etc before you try to regulate the sights.  On an SA it’s not an insignificant endeavor and usually a one time deal.  BTW 1” at 10 yards is not a big deal at all and it’s actually great for an out of the box SA.  Personally I would not mess with the sights for that.
    Good advise, thank you
    Groucho Marx
    edited June 9 #12
    cpj said:
    No es bueno. 
    A dollar says you’ll have different results by not doing that. 
    What a noob I am!   ;)
    Groucho Marx
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,068 Senior Member
    Are you gripping really high? You don't want to get as high on a revolver like you do a semiauto.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,760 Senior Member
    This.....if the POI is consistent, just compensate for it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,022 Senior Member
    i find that the older more nostalgia type of toys have a unique draw all to themselves.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    BAMAAK said:
    Are you gripping really high? You don't want to get as high on a revolver like you do a semiauto.
    I was...force of habit.
    Groucho Marx
    I think you should shoot that gun a whole lot more😀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file