South Dakota prairie dog shoot

minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior MemberPosts: 680 Senior Member
My son and I spent the last two days trying to thin out the prairie dog population on some private land in South Dakota.  Have never been pdog shooting but I thought we had great shooting.  Went through about 1200 total rounds of .22lr, .223, .243, .308, .357 magnum and 9mm. The pups were very young and stupid, but also small and difficult to shoot at times but we got some long range(300 yards), medium range less than 300yards and even shot some close up with pistols!!  My son loved it since he got to carry my Smith and Wesson 586 on his hip in case we ran into any rattlesnakes or for close up pdog shots.  Land owner asked us to come back again!!

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,599 Senior Member
    Looks like a lot of fun and helps out the landowner.  Nice that you got invited back
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,664 Senior Member
    That's a great way to spend a day out practicing & doing some good for the land owner too!  Well done !!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,077 Senior Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that a good time was had by all.  Shooting those little critters all day long makes for a lot of fun.  And, you got to spend quality time with your son.

Well done.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    Love me a good prairie poodle shoot! Great father/son time.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,926 Senior Member
    Great shoot. hey.
    I have a need for speed
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,566 Senior Member
    About time you figured out your password, did you schedule the next trip yet?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 680 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    We are allowed back anytime. I’d like to go again this summer but have to convince the boss
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    Nothing i would rather do than shoot PDs. Good to hear ya had a good time. When I lived in Wisc. we would go west river 2 or 3 times a year to shoot them, we all used .22-250s

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    I haven't shot a pdog in quite a while, but, conservatively, I've shot probably 50k of the nasty critters, and formed a few opinions along the way. YMMV, but...the perfect pdog battery is (2) .223 Rems and a .243 Win or 6mm Rem, both with 26" heavy barrels. As much glass as you can afford. Min of 14X on the .223's, and 20X on the "big" gun. Variables, of course, meaning lower mag available for those heavy mirage days. 40 grain VMaxes over Ramshot XTerminator in the .223's and 75 grain VMaxes over H4350 in the 6, both launched at 3700 plus. Muzzle brakes are absolutely required, because you learn more from your misses than you do from your hits, and you have to see the dirt erupt, not a dust cloud the wind has already drifted a foot before you come back down from recoil.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    Accidentally hit post comment instead of save draft. I'll finish this later. My battery is dying.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,779 Senior Member
    Always a great time!  Glad you got to get out there and whack a few.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    We are allowed back anytime. I’d like to go again this summer but have to convince the boss
    The boss that likes "Crazy Aunt" or the boss you work for?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    All i ever used was Win. M-70s 26" heavy bbl. pillar bedded, one with a 6-18 AO Redfield, the other with a Weaver T-24, all handloads with Sierra 55gr. SBT moly coated.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    The “Crazy Aunt” boss
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    The “Crazy Aunt” boss
    Tell her she can come with, sit in the sun, enjoy a "Crazy Aunt" or three.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,983 Senior Member
    Not much left there to eat!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,709 Senior Member
    Way Fun!
    Glad you had a good time.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    zorba said:
    Not much left there to eat!
    Plenty to eat for coyotes and buzzards after we left

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji