Credit to Trump on NK

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 948 Senior Member
    NPR reported thismorning that support Trump or hit the highway is affecting the re-election of a significant portion of Republicans to congress. Now I listen to NPR because its available not because I'm deluded about it being unbiased. So maybe the word significant should be salted, I don't know. If not the future of executive lead legislation could be altered.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,905 Senior Member
    Antonio said:
    Only thing I know is that Trump's ego must be looking for a room of his own in the White House since both won't fit in the same bed anymore.
    As I said before, would be fun to watch the pinkos at the Nobel Prize institution biting out their own hands before trying to hold down this year's peace prize to Trump.
    No matter what, he achieved what professional politicians before him couldn't, thus securing a place in history; whatever ends up from this meeting is another thing. If removing costly US military presence from the Korean peninsula is the mid-term result, American taxpayers would have won something....let them sort out their own issues with their own money!

Agree.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member
    edited June 13 #34
    Most of the spin I am reading on this is that Trump gave NK quite a bit and got nothing in return. I am actually ok with that. The cold war has been over for quite a long time and we aren't trying to fight off commies from taking over the world anymore-- it is time to move on and someone had to take the first step. We need to get moving more with Cuba as well. I am sure the Iranians will be stepping up to the plate soon. Which is fine with me.

I will say that had Obama did what Trump just did, there would be lots of hollering from the right. In an alternate universe, I imagine Tweets from private citizen Trump ranting about a bad deal and calling it weak.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    edited June 13 #35
    Kim has to know that an impoverished population will nail the coffin lid on a dictatorship faster than any foriegn threat. 
    Really? They have been an impoverished population since his grand-daddy was in charge. Seems as if they were going to rise up they would have done it by now. That country is a strange place- in many ways like Germany under Hitler.....at least in the early days when they thought he was a god.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited June 13 #36
    Jayhawker said:
    Kim has to know that an impoverished population will nail the coffin lid on a dictatorship faster than any foriegn threat. 
    Really? They have been an impoverished population since his grand-daddy was in charge. Seems as if they were going to rise up they would have done it by now. That country is a strange place- in many ways like Germany under Hitler.....at least in the early days when they thought he was a god...
    Both sides of the coin may be theoretical. The level of impoverishment I listened to on the radio yesterday at least for the rural population was severe. There's no way people can have any hope for the future under that type of cloud. Historically this has been a volatile catylist.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,901 Senior Member
    Antonio, I would like to see them have to juggle that problem around, too. But, really, no self-respecting Republican would pay lip service to being considered for the Nobel prize, after     some of their more recent selections for that dubious 'honor.

Of course, Trump is late to the party on conservative politics, and probably wouldn't hesitate to accept any accolades.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,437 Senior Member
    I know, I can't even praise Trump right? Was wondering how long it would take to get some at least mildly personal jabs at me in a thread I started to give Trump kudos...
    Many of your previous comments in other threads imply that we, or Republicans in general are racist homophobes, so who are you to talk?
    There is a very important distinction that is hard for people to understand. Being a Republican does not make you a racist homophobe. Most Republicans are not racist homophobes. However most racist homophobes vote Republican because many Republican politicians directly pander to or at a minimum never speak out against racist homophobes.

Maybe it's because Republicans believe in freedom of speech, no matter how unattractive the speech is. Dems constantly screeching about offensive speech is not helping the problem. Speech has gotten so selective on University campuses in this country, that Conservatives are banned from speaking there or violently demonstrated against and harassed just for being conservative. It seems like the constitution does not protect anyone from violent leftists anymore.

Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
    I know, I can't even praise Trump right? Was wondering how long it would take to get some at least mildly personal jabs at me in a thread I started to give Trump kudos...
    Many of your previous comments in other threads imply that we, or Republicans in general are racist homophobes, so who are you to talk?
    There is a very important distinction that is hard for people to understand. Being a Republican does not make you a racist homophobe. Most Republicans are not racist homophobes. However most racist homophobes vote Republican because many Republican politicians directly pander to or at a minimum never speak out against racist homophobes.

Maybe it's because Republicans believe in freedom of speech, no matter how unattractive the speech is. Dems constantly screeching about offensive speech is not helping the problem. Speech has gotten so selective on University campuses in this country, that Conservatives are banned from speaking there or violently demonstrated against and harassed just for being conservative. It seems like the constitution does not protect anyone from violent leftists anymore.

We are in agreement on our disdain for the PC police. It has been out of hand for far too long and I feel like that sort of thing, especially at the extremes really does hurt Dems electorally.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Most of the spin I am reading on this is that Trump gave NK quite a bit and got nothing in return. I am actually ok with that. The cold war has been over for quite a long time and we aren't trying to fight off commies from taking over the world anymore-- it is time to move on and someone had to take the first step. We need to get moving more with Cuba as well. I am sure the Iranians will be stepping up to the plate soon. Which is fine with me.

I will say that had Obama did what Trump just did, there would be lots of hollering from the right. In an alternate universe, I imagine Tweets from private citizen Trump ranting about a bad deal and calling it weak.
    Well of course. Ironically Trump has walked back a lot of the progress Obama made re Cuba which hasn't been a threat for decades, but he had to do it because he had to erase everything Obama ever did, because nothing Obama did could possibly be acceptable. Also I feel like he's going to regret some of his comments and actions around the Iran deal. He'll be lucky if he gets half the deal Obama got in Iran from NK and that's going to be the measuring stick. We'll see. He's definitely putting his "great negotiator" label to the test. Now time to put up or shut up. I really do hope he's successful.
    -DoctorWho
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D Alpha, I hate to break the news to you, but the KKK, skinheads, and neo-Nazis are NOT Republican. And if you were willing to do a little study, you'd find a whole bunch, as in the hundreds of thousands, of racists in and around Atlanta, GA, and they are made up of SEVERAL RACES. Also, Baltimore, MD, Chicago, IL, and New Orleans, LA come to mind as the same-same, as are many more large cities. There is even one county SE of me that is both MAJORITY DEMOCRAT, and virulently white racist. As to what you describe as homophobic, that also has lots of Democrats AND Republicans in that camp. As usual, your generalities are lame attempts to smear one side. Just remember that the finger you are pointing at Conservatives has THREE FINGERS pointing back at you. I would expect such statements as yours from a 14-15 y.o. kid, but from you, an adult, they speak too much to pot stirring and mudslinging so prevalent of the party of the donkey. That mess is old hat in the South, and easily recognized for what it is.

Never fear, though. Bernie Sanders is going to run for President in 2020, assuming he and his wife's bank fraud case doesn't land them in the federal slammer! :D
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

Obama's presidency was intended to create enough chaos to destroy the idea of a representative republic, for all time. It was almost completely successful in California and made huge gains in a few other places. Unfortunately for the left, it finally did awaken a long dormant American spirit in enough non-voters and 'wobbly' Democrats to allow the second worst candidate in our history to defeat the absolute worst candidate in history. A Clinton win would have consolidated those gains so that the 'soft tyranny' of Obama could have been transitioned into a genuine authoritarian, all-powerful central government that would have consumed the blue and purple states and forced a secessionist outcry by many of the red states.

The election of Donald Trump was probably the last hope for the survival of American exceptionalism, which is really nothing more than the belief that the United States was the exception to the rule that a free society could survive, where others had failed. Many of us held our nose and voted for him, simply to attempt to save the courts, thereby also saving the Constitution for a while. Many more voted for him because he was neither Democrat nor Republican, neither liberal nor conservative, and most of all, because he was not a classic politician.

The Democrat party had mostly succeeded in de-educating our children and grand children, replacing their pride and patriotism with the necessary amount of hopelessness to allow an authoritarian left wing government to swoop in with the 'bread and circuses' needed to distract them from the traditions that made the USA the wealthiest and most economically and militarily powerful nation in world history. The price for all that was that we got a loud-mouthed life-long liberal who had only recently seen the light, and was still very crude in the way that he governed, but did at least believe in American exceptionalism and has a work ethic that is second to none in the annals of American politics.

Donald Trump is far from what my idea of a great president is, but he is probably the only person who can survive the massive hatred that is being directed at him by the Democrats, who are using Hollywood, the major media outlets, and most of the education system to spew their bile out at him 24-7, and towards anyone who supports him. If nothing else, he has courage, determination, and a work ethic that runs circles around every other politician. His mistakes are frequent and large, but he is saving the republic, at least for a little while. Hopefully, the electorate is waking up to the point where he can survive and continue for long enough to pave the way for a successor who has learned enough to finish the job.

Both Obama and Trump are transformational characters in American politics. Fortunately for America, Obama was more interested in golf and the trappings of power than actually working, so there was something left for Trump to work with.
    -DoctorWho
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,150 Senior Member
    edited June 14 #44
    Obammy has a political offspring..........Corey Booker..............as a forum member with much wisdom said on here years ago (can't remember his screen name) watch out there is a rookie  congressman outta Chicago/ community organizer/activist being groomed and backed by some very rich leftist to be the next president.....................

Not sure he has the  "Charming Charisma" Obammy had, but he is out slinging all kinds of feel good malarkey that is being sopped up by many looking for a DEM savior like a sponge. 

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,599 Senior Member
    Alpha you really believe that type of drivel ?  I thought you were smarter than that.  If I really did not like you, I could come up with unanswered for millions that you have cost the Government as a contractor. Remember unanswered for money meaning you produced nothing and only took. It is easy to do as you WELL know.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,437 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Alpha you really believe that type of drivel ?  I thought you were smarter than that.  If I really did not like you, I could come up with unanswered for millions that you have cost the Government as a contractor. Remember unanswered for money meaning you produced nothing and only took. It is easy to do as you WELL know.
    His dumbass link couldn't possibly be a left-wing partisan hit job, could it? Oh no, no way! Even if he does play golf a lot, I'm sure given the fact that he stays awake 18 hours a day working on problems, I could cut him some slack on golfing. Here is the bulk of Obama's presidency!

Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,368 Senior Member
    Obama golfs: “that lazy mother **** is ALWAYS playing golf!”

Trump golfs: “that’s ok, he’s working hard. He deserves the time off. Beside, he’s working deals. That’s how real business is conducted. On the golf course. “

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    Antonio, I would like to see them have to juggle that problem around, too. But, really, no self-respecting Republican would pay lip service to being considered for the Nobel prize, after     some of their more recent selections for that dubious 'honor.

Of course, Trump is late to the party on conservative politics, and probably wouldn't hesitate to accept any accolades.
    Have to see yet a millionaire like Trump turn down the prize money AND the media exposure...as I said before, his ego will whack him in the head, drag him into Air Force one straight to Switzerland.

As I see it (Can be wrong but that's my impression), Trump's not actually a "Republican", but someone with right-wing sympathies who hopped on top of the party vessel to see his aspirations come true, whatever they were or the real motives behind them. He probably knew that such party was the only one that would allow him getting away with his aggressive negotiation style and his outspoken dealing ways, completely different from what most professional politicians are used to.

As for Iran, the issue is A LOT more complicated there, since there's millennial intermingled issues like religion, tribal hates, geopolitical interest from many powerful players, natural resources and others; I thing best he can reach is some kind of stabilization in the region....sort of a low-profile "pax Americana".

Cuba is a dead issue; no more a threat to the US but maybe a nuisance now no more bigger than any other banana republic in the area since the fall of communism as an sponsorship. They only survive thanks to Venezuela's "aid" (More a parasitic relation actually) and that's also a deteriorating situation that might end up in a civil war. Only try to keep the new mobsters (China and Russia) out of the island with barely enough trade & economic help and they'll stay "frozen".
    Prove is that I bet very few if any of us here actually knows the name (Or even how he looks) of the new comrade secretary (Or whatever they call who is in power) without having to google it....irrelevant!

bisley said:
    Obama's presidency was intended to create enough chaos to destroy the idea of a representative republic, for all time. It was almost completely successful in California and made huge gains in a few other places. Unfortunately for the left, it finally did awaken a long dormant American spirit in enough non-voters and 'wobbly' Democrats to allow the second worst candidate in our history to defeat the absolute worst candidate in history. A Clinton win would have consolidated those gains so that the 'soft tyranny' of Obama could have been transitioned into a genuine authoritarian, all-powerful central government that would have consumed the blue and purple states and forced a secessionist outcry by many of the red states.

The election of Donald Trump was probably the last hope for the survival of American exceptionalism, which is really nothing more than the belief that the United States was the exception to the rule that a free society could survive, where others had failed. Many of us held our nose and voted for him, simply to attempt to save the courts, thereby also saving the Constitution for a while. Many more voted for him because he was neither Democrat nor Republican, neither liberal nor conservative, and most of all, because he was not a classic politician.

The Democrat party had mostly succeeded in de-educating our children and grand children, replacing their pride and patriotism with the necessary amount of hopelessness to allow an authoritarian left wing government to swoop in with the 'bread and circuses' needed to distract them from the traditions that made the USA the wealthiest and most economically and militarily powerful nation in world history. The price for all that was that we got a loud-mouthed life-long liberal who had only recently seen the light, and was still very crude in the way that he governed, but did at least believe in American exceptionalism and has a work ethic that is second to none in the annals of American politics.

Donald Trump is far from what my idea of a great president is, but he is probably the only person who can survive the massive hatred that is being directed at him by the Democrats, who are using Hollywood, the major media outlets, and most of the education system to spew their bile out at him 24-7, and towards anyone who supports him. If nothing else, he has courage, determination, and a work ethic that runs circles around every other politician. His mistakes are frequent and large, but he is saving the republic, at least for a little while. Hopefully, the electorate is waking up to the point where he can survive and continue for long enough to pave the way for a successor who has learned enough to finish the job.

Both Obama and Trump are transformational characters in American politics. Fortunately for America, Obama was more interested in golf and the trappings of power than actually working, so there was something left for Trump to work with.
    I think this post confuses the diametrically opposed philosophies about government that's held by a portion of citizens with the mostly fictional philosophical rhetoric of self serving politicians that would gladly switch parties at the drop of a hat if they could keep their hands in the till. On a generous day I'm willing acknowledge noble aspersions on a portion of the voting public, but I don't see it on Pennsylvania Avenue. Far as I can see both parties are supported, bankrolled, and serve the same lobby with mostly the same policies spun what ever way thats needed to plagiarize whatever constituency they think they need.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,704 Senior Member
    I guess we forget that Michelle used to load her whole possee into their 747 and go on vacation to a foreign country and lock up entire hotel floors just for her and her buddy’s including her nightamare of a mother and her pal Oprah.  Or their date nights in NYC when they caused gridlock all over Manhattan so they could go to the theater...  

NO other President and family have abused the privileges of their position like the Obama’s...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    bisley said:

I think this post confuses the diametrically opposed philosophies about government that's held by a portion of citizens with the mostly fictional philosophical rhetoric of self serving politicians that would gladly switch parties at the drop of a hat if they could keep their hands in the till. On a generous day I'm willing acknowledge noble aspersions on a portion of the voting public, but I don't see it on Pennsylvania Avenue. Far as I can see both parties are supported, bankrolled, and serve the same lobby with mostly the same policies spun what ever way thats needed to plagiarize whatever constituency they think they need.
    It took me a long time to digest that first sentence, early, but I think I understand it, now.

I think that you are right, if you mean that the elite forces that control so much of politics don't give a rat's ass about ideology, as long as their interests are served, and I also believe that there are plenty of politicians who will carry the water for whoever wields the most power.

However, I'm hoping that the winner will be the power that does not begrudge the average person an opportunity to be productive, and more or less free to engage in capitalistic endeavor. I think that many of the elites, Trump among them, like for productive people to have a chance for a nice life, based on developing their own abilities. I don't know how much ideology figures into the equation, but it is a big deal to people who have not yet achieved 'elite' status.

It could just be that the whole thing is just a struggle between the forces of good and evil, and determining which is which requires a lot of trial and error. Meanwhile, the peons will just continue to fight the battles that they think they understand.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,194 Senior Member
    Eventually silencing the opposition will require the use of force.
    Marxism 101. Buckle up!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,983 Senior Member
    Shoot, I'm still waiting for a president who doesn't play golf, and won't wear suits nor neckties!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,114 Senior Member
    Alpha, your statement about Trump being lucky if he gets "half the deal" from NK as Obama got from Iran is among the most idiotic things you've ever posted. It kinda explains why your high paying government related jobs never last too long. Obama gifted around 1.8 billion in cash to Iran and got absolutely nothing in return but lip service and that money being used to finance terrorism and costing American lives. Only you and your ilk would consider that an acceptable "deal".
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Actually, they didn't really even get 'lip service'. The Ayatolla guy was insulting towards the US throughout the negotiations. If Kerry had ever stooped low enough to buy a used car, in his pre-war hero days, he would have known to walk out on the deal, and let them come begging for negotiations to resume. If they didn't come, nothing would have been lost that wasn't already lost.
    bisley said:
    bisley said:

It took me a long time to digest that first sentence, early, but I think I understand it, now.

I think that you are right, if you mean that the elite forces that control so much of politics don't give a rat's ass about ideology, as long as their interests are served, and I also believe that there are plenty of politicians who will carry the water for whoever wields the most power.

However, I'm hoping that the winner will be the power that does not begrudge the average person an opportunity to be productive, and more or less free to engage in capitalistic endeavor. I think that many of the elites, Trump among them, like for productive people to have a chance for a nice life, based on developing their own abilities. I don't know how much ideology figures into the equation, but it is a big deal to people who have not yet achieved 'elite' status.

It could just be that the whole thing is just a struggle between the forces of good and evil, and determining which is which requires a lot of trial and error. Meanwhile, the peons will just continue to fight the battles that they think they understand.
    The good vs evil battle is the illusion that blinds the general public to the motives and actions of those who pull the strings. If you'll notice "the establishment" of pretty much both parties are virtually the same. That's by design. 
    -DoctorWho
    Alpha, your statement about Trump being lucky if he gets "half the deal" from NK as Obama got from Iran is among the most idiotic things you've ever posted. It kinda explains why your high paying government related jobs never last too long. Obama gifted around 1.8 billion in cash to Iran and got absolutely nothing in return but lip service and that money being used to finance terrorism and costing American lives. Only you and your ilk would consider that an acceptable "deal".
    Trump has given up military exercises and met face to face with Kim and hasn't gotten a single thing in return yet. Hopefully he will. But I am doubtful it will be complete, verifiable denuclearization with the level of access we had in Iran.

And for the record the $1.8 B was owed to Iran based on money we had taken from them in 1979 and was being litigated in international court. It was basically a settlement of a lawsuit that we would have lost.
    -DoctorWho
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    edited June 18 #58
    Trump has given up military exercises and met face to face with Kim and hasn't gotten a single thing in return yet. Hopefully he will. But I am doubtful it will be complete, verifiable denuclearization with the level of access we had in Iran.

And for the record the $1.8 B was owed to Iran based on money we had taken from them in 1979 and was being litigated in international court. It was basically a settlement of a lawsuit that we would have lost.
    It pays to not be too poor to pay attention. The South Korean/U.S. military exercises are over for this year. Next ones, if held, will be in 2019. :D
    I guess the prisoner release, and the return back to the U.S. of the remains of U.S. service members killed in the Korean War on the North side of the border mean nothing at all to you, either.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

All of that hasn't cost American taxpayers a cent.

Again you're trying to pass opinion off as fact. I didn't mention the 150 billion or so because that really was Iran's money that we released.

alphasigmookie said:for the record the $1.8 B was owed to Iran based on money we had taken from them in 1979 and was being litigated in international court. It was basically a settlement of a lawsuit that we would have lost.
    Actually, "for the record" 400 million was a promised ransom for the release of some American prisoners that was never paid and 1.4 billion was the interest on that ransom. None of that money was "taken" from Iran.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member
    The $400 million was for airplanes that the Iranian government paid for before their 1979 revolution that we decided to not deliver after that revolution.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file