A loading problem....solved?

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 9,422 Senior Member
Loading for my .310 cadet has been a problem. The neck is too thick (I believe) which prevents the chambering with my rifle which has a tight chamber. I also believe the reason the case mouth is so thick is because the brass is .32-20 brass cut down to about the original neck. So while I think I've identified the problem, I'd like your input. Tonight I ordered a stud for my Hornady neck turning tool that I hope will reduce the thickness of the brass so I can load my existing converted brass. It's simply too thick now as it exists.
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Trimming the necks is probably your best bet. There are crimp dies that will deal with the problem as well.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,422 Senior Member
    I don't need a crimp as it's a single-shot rifle. I'm hoping the thinning the necks will do the job. I'm already trimming the necks to length, about 1.12".
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Not length thickness. There are crimp dies that will force the brass to the proper OD at the expense of the bullet.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,587 Senior Member
    I have some original .310 cases, if you'd like me to measure the thickness of the case!! I haven't tried loading for it yet, to darn hot out in my garage/shop, so your results will be of interest for me!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,979 Senior Member
    What inside diameter do you think you'll need to get about .001"-.002" of neck tension? (Expansion of the brass as the bullet seats) It's possible to order a "chucking reamer" from somewhere like Victor Machinery Co. to trim the inside of the neck to any size necessary. You would use the reamer in a drill press or maybe a cordless drill motor while holding the case with smooth-jaw pliers or a home-brewed holding fixture of some sort. I used a similar reamer to adapt a set of .204 Ruger loading dies to .257 when I made the Scooter rifle and needed custom loading dies. They're available in .001" increments over a wide range of diameters.
    Jerry

Edit: Just checked the Victor website- - - -reamers from .252" to .344" are available in .001" increments for $16.40 apiece. Victor has a $50.00 minimum order, but I can include one in my next order for you if you decide to go that route.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    I THINK the OD of a loaded round should allow the neck to chamber properly when the bullet is seated. Six to eight thousands over when seated won't work. The .320 bullets are heeled bullets which add another dimension I'm not ready to deal with. They're pretty (or very) accurate on the base and I can't remember the diameter at the driving bands. Not that's important. I want to slide a round into the chamber and not worry about it.

Fact is, this is the only "pistol" round I load, (pretty unsuccessfully a this point) which requires an expander. I've not loaded three-die sets in a long time and this confuses me. The expander throws the OD way out of specs with expanding the case mouth and if I don't expand the case enough, I shave off lead when I seat the bullet. I THINK (again) the OD needs to be about .332 at most when the bullet is seated and a bit less would be great. If the excess shaved-off lead is removed without expanding the case mouth, the increased diameter causes seating problems and hast to be removes.

I've got a ball mike and will mike the inside case wall thickness tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that's the problem. I don'tknow what an acceptable wall-thickness should be in this case, actually. Any rules of thumb here?

The bullets I have are .320 at the heel, whatever on the driving band I don't know, but I believe about .333 or so. Not a lot to work with there. I believe the inside case walls are simply too thick with a tight chamber to allow the bullets to seat. And of course swaging won't work since it's a heeled bullet.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,179 Senior Member
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1NxpwYbRttUJ:www.castbulletengineering.com.au/_literature_3825/310_Cadet_Part_1_%28Source_-_NZ_Guns_and_Hunting_magazine%29+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

This is an html version of a PDF file you may find of some use.

Just click the "_Cadet_Part_1_(Source_-_NZ_Guns_and_Hunting_magazine."

at the top of the page to download the full PDF file.

It is a Kiwi article from 2012.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,979 Senior Member
    I would suggest inside-reaming the cases to about .318", giving you a .002" neck tension when the bullet is seated. Once the neck is reamed, it might not be necessary to expand, just give the inside of the case a good chamfer. An "O" letter drill is .316", which might be a good work-around if you'd rather not invest in a reamer right now. That's just a few thousandths over a 5/16" drill, which will be .3125". If the letter drill approach works, or comes close, then you might consider a reamer a couple of thousandths bigger for a little more safety factor.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,587 Senior Member
    I measured both cases, the .310 measured .005 thickness and the .32-20 .007 at .310 length. BIL told me when his dad shot them, he bench reloaded, just re-prime, add powder charge, and thumb seat bullet in case. No need to crimp,etc. Surface tension holds bullet in place.
    Sounds like a plan. My problem is getting them to fire the first time.

I think one solution (which I just tried) is to partially expand the neck just so it accepts the bullet without shaving any lead off. This works maybe. I've got to pull a bunch of bullets, resize them and expand the necks a bit.

I think the chamber on this rifle must have been a bit too tight to begin with. This may explain why the bore is so good. Also, the extractor readily accepts the .32-20 heads, which isn't a given with all .310 Cadets without having to remove a couple of thousands off the case head.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file