.444 Marlin?

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,161 Senior Member
I have been asked for any information on the .444 Marlin.

The cartridge, not the rifle, as far as I know.

Not sure of the platform, yet.

Just got the word, it is getting looked at.

Anybody got one, had one, thought of getting one.

Opinions.

Good.

Bad.

It seems very popular in the H&R Handi.

I know he has used, when off on his colonial duties and was taken with, the .405 WCF.

Any input at all would be very much appreciated.

Teach, it is the same bloke you helped out with some loadings for his .225 Win. in the Winchester Western Cooey 71, if you recall.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,057 Senior Member
    It's a .44 mag on lots of steroids, and a 45-70 that's been de-nutted. No flies on it, it will kill anything that needs killing.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,990 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    It's a .44 mag on lots of steroids, and a 45-70 that's been de-nutted. No flies on it, it will kill anything that needs killing.

Yep, standard load is a 265 grain jsp at about 1900 FPS. I have a Marlin lever gun 444 that I am quite fond of.

Sako
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    A .429 caliber express rifle cartridge. Sums it up nicely. 240-265gr bullets from 1900-2200fps.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,976 Senior Member
    Ditto to all the above. Most of the loads are based on a .44 handgun bullet in a stretched-out rimmed cartridge case similar to the .44 Mag. handgun round. It's usually chambered in a lever action rifle, and offers a considerable performance increase over the .30-30, .35 Remington, etc. I have also used .444 brass to load .410 shotgun ammo for my grandkids when they were sharing a Rossi .22/.410 switch-barrel single shot. The brass case ammo offered a very inexpensive alternative to .410 shotshells.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,161 Senior Member
    It was just a quick telephone call, he said he would get back with more details.

Thank you all for the quick response. :up:
    Elk creek wrote: »
    A .429 caliber express rifle cartridge.
    Teach wrote: »
    The brass case ammo offered a very inexpensive alternative to .410 shotshells.
    Jerry

I hope it is not a .410 s/s. he is looking at. :devil: :roll2:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,635 Senior Member
    I am not a fan of the Handi-Rifle platform in general....but the .444 in the original Marlin lever action configuration is.....amazing...truly a thumper....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,534 Senior Member
    What kind of accuracy can you get pushing a flat point bullet at those velocities? I liked the idea just had my doubts about the pistol bullets.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,957 Senior Member
    The 265 grain jacketed bullet isn't a pistol bullet. It was designed for the .444. Accuracy is on par with the Marlin .45-70 and one should be able to keep scoped, rested groups under 2" at 100 yards.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Mine runs more into the 2-3" at 100 yards but I did not really do much load work. Got to acceptable and stopped:tooth:

Sako
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    I would think that something like the .444 in a lever would kick like a Missouri mule. How's the felt recoil on one of these?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,057 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I am not a fan of the Handi-Rifle platform in general....but the .444 in the original Marlin lever action configuration is.....amazing...truly a thumper....

I dislike the handi rifle, save for pistol calibers, and any round whose first number is 4. I think it's a perfect rifle for the 444 or 45-70
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,161 Senior Member
    I believe the 240gr was the pistol bullet when it first came out.

He does tend to run heavy for calibre, he may be looking around at the 300gr jacketed, if available, or casting to suit.

Have a feeling it will a repeater of some kind.

Did not Winchester market a 94 in .444?

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    Yup, the Timber Carbine. The problem, at least on factory guns, the twist is too slow for the 300 grainers. But for a custom job, no problem.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,921 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    I believe the 240gr was the pistol bullet when it first came out.

He does tend to run heavy for calibre, he may be looking around at the 300gr jacketed, if available, or casting to suit.

Have a feeling it will a repeater of some kind.

Did not Winchester market a 94 in .444?

Yes, Winchester offered the .444 Marlin chambering in the Winchester 94AE. Nice handy rifle!

As to going with heavy bullets in the .444 Marlin, that may be a bit of a problem. The rifles I'm familiar with that are chambered for it have a twist rate that is a bit slow for stabilizing heavy bullets. Only way to find out is to shoot it with them, unless you measure the twist rate with a tight fitting patch and a piece of tape on the cleaning rod to confirm the actual twist rate.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I would think that something like the .444 in a lever would kick like a Missouri mule. How's the felt recoil on one of these?
    I have a Marlin 45-70. It will wake you up in the morning for sure, but is very manageable, even with stout loads. Slugs, and 3 inch loads out of the shotgun kick more.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    What kind of accuracy can you get pushing a flat point bullet at those velocities? I liked the idea just had my doubts about the pistol bullets.

Accuracy wouldn't be a problem within the distance limitations of the cartridge. The .444 Marlin is basically a timber hunting cartridge. i.e. up to 150 yards maximum.
    That flat nose bullet sheds velocity like my dog sheds hair . . . quick.

At distance more than 150 yards, expansion or lack of, becomes a problem.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,878 Senior Member
    The 265 grain jacketed bullet isn't a pistol bullet. It was designed for the .444. Accuracy is on par with the Marlin .45-70 and one should be able to keep scoped, rested groups under 2" at 100 yards.

My .45-70 shoots MOA with Hornady LeveRevolution.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    I have used 300 grain Hornady XTP's in mine with decent results. Again in the 2-3" range. They do give you a good thump though:yikes:

Sako
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,481 Senior Member
    I want a lever action Rifle in .444 Marlin at some point, a carbine would be nice.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 384 Member
    240 gr Remington factory ammo in my Marlin 444 is spring black bear season medicine.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,415 Senior Member
    That video of the .410 shotgun shooting the .444 gives a graphic indication of recoil! Ouch!
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,835 Senior Member
    Many a pachyderm and Buffalo have been taken with much less rifle.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    From the bench it is stiff to say the least but offhand it's not all that rough.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file