What you do in practice... or lack thereof...

Wambli SkaWambli Ska ModeratorPosts: 25,422 Senior Member
From a cops type show on Netflix. The officer thought he was confronting an armed guy so he is under a bit of stress. Thank God he did not have to shoot.

15224A30-3A3E-4FCB-8A85-59B5C39D2BB2.jpg
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    Talk about bad habits.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,109 Senior Member
    Bet it doesn't happen a second time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    I watched a trainee shoot an entire magazine that way. He said "the instructor said shooting is not comfortable" as the top of his thumb was a bloody mess. My response "well, no one else is bleeding"
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    That would leave a mark for sure!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,979 Senior Member
    I was at an indoor range shortly after I got my AMT Backup .45 and the guy in the next lane wanted to shoot it. He wrapped one thumb over the other and fired before I could stop him. Yep, things got a little bloody! Glad the gun was stainless!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I was at an indoor range shortly after I got my AMT Backup .45 and the guy in the next lane wanted to shoot it. He wrapped one thumb over the other and fired before I could stop him. Yep, things got a little bloody! Glad the gun was stainless!
    Jerry

No biggie. I believe in letting stupid correct itself.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    No biggie. I believe in letting stupid correct itself.[/QUOTE

Ah we're all guilty of a little stupid now and then, but the dumbass is when you don't learn from the first time.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    its hard to break habits - good or bad.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JeffnBamaJeffnBama Member Posts: 204 Member
    hickok45 on How not to shoot a Semi Automatic. I watched and learned, that Hot Dog went splat. I've had two busted fingers and one sewn back on, sure don't want a thumb torn off
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    Many folks out there will let people they are instructing develop bad habits thinking the can just correct them later. Unfortunately I have found out those bad habits become ingrained QUICK!!! I will not let ANYONE fire a pistol until they have a good repeatable grip and decent trigger control at least while dry firing. I've found out that if I do that the first shot they ever fire is usually a dead on bullseye and I now have someone TOTALLY HOOKED on shooting.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,785 Senior Member
    I tried to convince my BIL to use a two-handed combat grip when he tried out my G-20, but he went the bloody one-hand route, and of course, blamed the gun. I had to hit a paper plate twice in a row at 60 yards, in front of witnesses, to shut him up.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    I just shoot.

Nothing wrong with one handed shooting
    some days it is better than two handed some days not.
    I have a need for speed
    NN wrote: »
    I just shoot.

Nothing wrong with one handed shooting
    some days it is better than two handed some days not.

I agree, but you have to hold on tight with 10mm, and he is one of those guys that somehow shoots well while milking the grip and doing everything else 'wrong.'
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I agree, but you have to hold on tight with 10mm, and he is one of those guys that somehow shoots well while milking the grip and doing everything else 'wrong.'

Quite frankly after someone learns how to shoot well, the next thing I do is to get them to stop worrying about the basics and learn how to hit a target under a WHOLE lot of circumstances, grips etc. At the end of the game only front sight and trigger pull matter. You have to stay flexible.
    Well, sure, but how many people do you know that can keep their sight picture on the target, consistently, with bad fundamentals? I know a couple, who I consider to be naturally gifted, but it just doesn't work for hitting small targets, with most folks I've been around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file